Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your First Time Insurance . . .

Options
  • 05-07-2006 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has come up many times before but just out of sheer interest I wanna know did you have to pay for your own insurance when you where learning to drive on your provisional or did your parents or whatever cover it for you ? Even if you haven't got that far yet but know how it will go , just still put it in the poll.

Cheers

(yes , I misspelt yes btw but it appears to be too late now)

Did you have to pay your insurance on your Provisional License ? 42 votes

Yeas
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just got insured on my own for the first time, fully comp, provisional, 27 yr old female, on a 1.2l Fiat Punto. Cost €950.

Prior to that, when I was 19 I was insured on my father's garage insurance, able to drive anything I was licensed for, with a provisional for approx £500.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Back in the earlyish 90s I went onto my fathers 2L Omega for about £200pa
    Then when I got my own car (1.1L MkIII Fiesta) I had to pay £1600pa which dropped to less than 1k when I got the test.
    My folks (rightly) believed in self sufficiency!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I paid for my car, but my mams name was used as the registered owner.
    Then her insurance policy was used to insure the car, & I was covered as a named driver, but I still paid for the policy.

That continued for a few years, then the next sibling was ready to drive, so I was kicked off the policy, changed ownership of my car & got my own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Im paying for my own policy, extortionate prices but such is insurance in Ireland.

19 male, 1.4l car €3300 per year atm in my own name, fully comp. To go up by €600 odd when I get my new car in a week or two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I bought my first car and and paid for my first insurance on a 1.2L corsa for €2600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Paid about £3500 about 5 years back on a Micra, tpft lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

In 2000, my first insurance was on a 1 litre seat ibiza. I was 21 with a provisional license. The car cost IR£3,900. My insurance was IR£3,950 (€5,016)! And that was for third party, fire and theft.

When I passed my driving test a couple of months later, I got IR£1,000 back from the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I paid myself. Always have.
    Age 17 think it was 300pound for 3 months on a 523i.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Didnt get for first car (so therefore insurance) until I got my full licence so I can t vote in the poll. For me (full licence) and the other half (provisional at the time) it cost 4,600 in old money for insurance on a 00 1.0 corsa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

My first insurance policy at 17 on a mini was 4600euro. Paif for fully by myself. As was the car (car cost less than 1K though). I was told by my parents i was stupid getting a car for that money but it was the ONLY way. They wouldnt give me a penny!

Now 20, 3 yrs ncb in my own name i can pretty much drive anything. Had an mx5 for less than 2K a year (was 19)and I now drive 2.0ltr a4 for 1800euro. Im changing my car in October to a BMW 325 and i was quoted 1675 or 1900 if it is a convertable.

Best advice for anybody is to GET IT IN YOUR OWN NAME. It may be a huge outgoing in the first place but it makes up for it eventually. I can drive anything now for reasonable prices and i am still very young. Britton Insurance & Hibernian are very reasonable imo beacuse you can also opt for the open drive addition which is necessary for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Just to point out, nobody but axa would insure me on my first policy and I had to have a tracker. was 4600 and I could only afford to pay it monthly which incurred huge interest. Worked out about 5200 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I was a named driver when on provisional and for a couple of years after. Parents paid they excess, although it was negligible enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

19 now, bought my first car in February after passing my test and was never insured before that.

I paid €5k for the car and my mam sold hers to pay the insurance in my mams name of €1350 (1.0 Corsa 40+ female main driver) I share the car a week on week off so technically she is the main driver and my dad uses it too because of the price of petrol the 1.0 is more economical than his 1.4 Xsara.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Aug 2000. 18 yrs. 1.4 tipo £800. quinn direct £3,900. now paying €650 for BMW 325. my dad had company cars and my mother's policy wouldn't allow drivers under 25 (or so my mother said!!!)

if you are named on a parents policy, stay that way for longest possible time. i've probably paid about €14,000 in total (punt converted to euro) for my full NCB and friends of mine are starting to get first insurance for about €1k with no NCB on provisionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got my own policy on my own car.
    Bussed it for about 6 months (2 hours to work, 1 1/2 hours back every day!) and saved up and got my own car and I paid for my most of my first years insurance, I paid 2/3 and my parents paid 1/3 because they helped out all the kids in the family when they started to drive.
    They didn't want the risk of me hitting something then costing them big bucks if I had to claim and the insurance went up.
    In the long run its worked out really well for me, nice NCB built up now with now :D

Yes I went with AXAs tracksure thingy (which sucked until I just taped up that annoying beeping speaker) but hey, at least I halved my first year from 6000+ euro to 3000ish :) Insurance companies, a crowd of chancers who made a killing about 3 years ago and just because they would always settle out of court and never bring a case to court, tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

been driving for about 6/7 months. im 19 on a provis and i got myself a 1.4. quoted mad money €3k+ by most companies but raynair,sorry i mean quinn insured me for 1700 tpft. my own policey and paid for by myself

Advertisement