Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone in UCD have a PSP?

Options
  • 05-07-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

and if so can you get online on the college network? I've tried it using the proxy specified on the ucd website, and without a proxy, but neither works.

Is there a way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What proxy did you use? I know you said the one on UCD website but which one did it give?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 edladdlad

Should have done a bit more research before posting, sorry. Was using the http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac, but I just found a thread on the psp board which gives a list of other proxy things in ucd, used posaune.ucd.ie and port 8484 and it works fine now,

thanks though

yep, that was what my suggestion was going to be. proxy.pac is just a script that browsers use to determine what proxies are available. However not every application can use auto config scripts and instead must have the proxies entered manually.

For anyone else interested here is a list of all the proxy servers in UCD.

name: port
    posaune.ucd.ie:8484
    posaune.ucd.ie:8585
    garfunkel.ucd.ie:8484
    garfunkel.ucd.ie:8585
    carrigvore.ucd.ie:8484
    carrigvore.ucd.ie:8585
    excalibur.ucd.ie:8484
    excalibur.ucd.ie:8585

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

all the info is in proxy.pac if you open it up though.

Where do you think i copied and pasted that list from? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

what the hell are you talking about

:idiot looking for genuine explanation

Which part are you lost on? Or do you want me to start from the top?

well i know what a PSP is and I know what UCD is. Other than that i havnt got a clue

ok OP has a PSP and wants to get it working on the wireless network in UCD so he cna surf web, play games etc.

UCD network has a firewall that blocks all incoming and outgoing traffic for security reasons. If you want to get a webpage you need to be able to get thru the firewall. This is done by UCD providing proxy servers. Your request for a webpage (say this page ur reading now) is sent to the proxy, the proxy fetches it from the baords.ie server. It then passes the page on to your laptop/PC/PSP.

Ok lunch date has arrived... will continue after lunch..... Stay tuned boys and girls!

Right so where was I....

So how does your laptop/PC/PSP get to know about the proxies. Three ways it does this:

1) When you first connect device to network, it will contact a server known as a DHCP server. This server will allocate your device an unique ip address on the network (so traffic can be routed to and from you), assign you dns servers (which translate a hostname like www.ucd.ie into an ip address) and if the device supports it, can also inform the device of what proxy servers to use.

2) Auto configuration script. This is just a script that allows some applications such as Internet Explorer, Firefox etc, configure themselves to use a proxy. The ucd proxy has a randomiser function that will get the browser to pick one of the eight available proxies at random, thus spreading the load across the servers.

3) Manual setup: Not all applications support the use of auto config scripts (such as the PSP) so it is necessary to manual enter the proxy details into the settings of the application/device by hand. You sometimes need manual proxies for apps like MSN, AIM, windows media player etc.

Right think that explains the ol lot. Any questions? And no, MNG, this topic will not be in the end of term exam.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

liar, that's all rubbish, speedy here
    inry.jpg
    runs and gets them from a big warehouse in the sandyford industrial estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

*nods*. Yes Humbert I've heard it that way too.

thanks for that IRL :D

Grimes wrote:
    thanks for that IRL :D
    Sure call me Robin....... cos that's my name......;)

And Im Batman

Would you like to ride with Batman?

Im sorry I couldnt resist

Grimes wrote:
    Im sorry I couldnt resist
    Thankfully I can.

Advertisement