Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to sell a car

Options
  • 05-07-2006 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I've a friend who has been trying to sel a car for quite a while now, with no luck.

I've just left a message with him to collect all the details for me so I can help him sell it, so I don't know a whole pile about it yet.

It's a '03 Peugeot 206.
    He's been advertising it every week in AutoTrader & Buy and Sell with no interest whatsoever.

I thought:- it must be the price. He was looking €8k, now down to €7.5k.
    I've looked on Carzone & CBG, & they're going for WAY more than that on those websites!!!!!! All of them is at least €10k

What you reckon is wrong?
    I've seem the car:- it's absolutely spotless. The only fault I can see is that it's white, but surely someone would be interested in the car when it's so cheap in comparison to others.

Could it be too cheap & putting people off cos they think it has to be dodgy???

Any recommendations, suggestions?

Like I said, I've no details / photos yet, but hopefully I should have them tomorrow.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

White is the most difficult colour to sell on.
    The text in the advert may also be a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The time of year probably has a big impact, most people are more concerned with holidays etc. around now. Also the fact that the car has less than 6 months left before it becomes a year older puts people off.

If you are selling a car it's always best to try to sell it in the early months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Don't think he had the choice, nor does he have the choice to wait.
    He's 18 & forking out every week on a massive loan which he can't afford.

Yea, I haven't seen the ad text, was thinking he mightn't be wording it right, or specifying 1/2 of it's toys, so I made up a list & gave it to him, so that I'll have all the details.

I know about the white thing:- I personally would never buy a white car, regardless of price:- I just hate them, but surely not everyone's like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I know about the white thing:- I personally would never buy a white car, regardless of price:- I just hate them, but surely not everyone's like me.
    Most are.

Well, apart from respraying the car, have ye any other suggestions for helping shift it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Slip into a scantily clad clothing and model beside the car?

Can you link me to the advert? I have just looked through autotrader.ie and there is no refference to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

First off the Peugeot is a bad car, and the 206 is a terrible one. And I was told that by the sales guy for Peugeot. Also the market is flooded with them, friend of mine had a 04 one and had to drop over 4k on asking price before someone bought it.

It is also a terrible time to sell a car, at the start of the year you have alot more people looking for new cars, in the middle of the year the market is resctricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

layke wrote:
    Can you link me to the advert?

Indeed. OP, show us the ad and we might come up with improvements!

layke wrote:
    Slip into a scantily clad clothing and model beside the car?

Can you link me to the advert? I have just looked through autotrader.ie and there is no refference to it.

Scare the punter off for sure!!! :D

Can't link you to the ad, cos I can't see it myself.
    TBH, I've only heard 3rd hand (his ma asked my ma to ask me.....)

All I know is thats where he's been advertising, but maybe he's given up now & that's why we can't see it!!!??

Can't even see it on the Buy & Sell website (though that doesn't suprise me, it's a ball of cr@p now)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the details & I can put up an ad.

Carzone or CBG? Which you reckon is best?
    Carzone:- once off payment of €30
    CBG:- €30 for 3 weeks.
    Does anyone actually buy the CBG mag? I thought its layout was lousy one time I bought it, so never have since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Big Nelly wrote:
    First off the Peugeot is a bad car, and the 206 is a terrible one.

Also the market is flooded with them

Yes, because terrible cars made by bad manufacturers regularly become top selling cars! :rolleyes:
    Isn't the 206 in the all time top ten sellers worldwide!

To the OP, the prices advertised on CBG and Carzone etc, are not necessarily the selling prices. You can be sure that any mainstream car advertised for €10K, will, at most, make €9K.

Also, as pointed out, it is not a good colour, nor is it a good time for car sales.

Is trading it in an option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

have you advertised on those sites or just looked at them to compare prices?

prospect wrote:
    Is trading it in an option?

TBH, I'm not sure what his story is exactly, but I don't think there's a chance of a trade in.

I've a feeling he bought the car thinking her could afford it, but then realised that he is infact a poor student, so he needs to get rid of it pronto & but something for around a grand.

Could be wrong though.

Ah well,
    All I can do is try to help him.

steve06 wrote:
    have you advertised on those sites or just looked at them to compare prices?

I've so far only compared prices.
    (I've to get the details of the lad before I can advertise it)

That's what I was asking:- Which of those site do you think is best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I've looked on Carzone & CBG, & they're going for WAY more than that on those websites!!!!!! All of them is at least €10k
    The markets kinda flooded.
    Theres 200 of them on Carzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I've so far only compared prices.
    (I've to get the details of the lad before I can advertise it)

That's what I was asking:- Which of those site do you think is best?

Carzone is the best, most traffic etc but you will need to price competitivly and have good images if there are a lot of them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's all down to price and exposure. for exposure get it on to the front page of motor market or other magazines that have photos on the front. Then drop the price substantially. I think also that a white car will incur a sever financial penalty.

At a low price it will be attractive to someone. Better to take the loss than pay out the difference in interest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I couldn't find it on autotrader.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

prospect wrote:
    Yes, because terrible cars made by bad manufacturers regularly become top selling cars! :rolleyes:
    Isn't the 206 in the all time top ten sellers worldwide!

And has/had the best resale value in it's range as well, I lost f*ck all on mine after 2 years, and I bought it from new. Well specced & comfy, and no issues in 2 years of ownership.

I don't understand why anyone would get a white one though, unless it was the comm van version - metallic paint was only a £200 option when I got mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Nelly wrote:
    First off the Peugeot is a bad car, and the 206 is a terrible one. And I was told that by the sales guy for Peugeot.

Must be true, so.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not helpful Big Nelly.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

its all down to the color... you will find it hard to sell a white 206 at any price.... any other colour will sell in a flash though....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Big Nelly wrote:
    First off the Peugeot is a bad car, and the 206 is a terrible one. And I was told that by the sales guy for Peugeot.
    I must tell my wife that there is something wrong with hers as it never gives trouble, is quite frugal and drives quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Don't mind BigNelly, it seems it's easier to list what he does like than what he doesn't

1. Audi's
    2. VWs
    3. Diesel engines
    4. Putting every other type of car down

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think your friend needs to drop the asking price a bit. I'd assume he's up to his neck in finance?

Not getting into the whole Peugeot thing but I mentioned on here before a friend of mine bought one and sold it the next month it was so bad.

As I was mentioning above which everyone seemed to have missed the market is flooded with them so you will have problems trying to sell them second hand.

Also again missed this is a bad time of the year to sell a car, if selling a car you should be doing in the first quarter of the year when the majority of people are buying, you have a better chance then, most people at this stage of the year have there car bought so the market is limited.

Also we still havent been given a link to the car, could be over-priced etc. You have to remember the prices on carzone are usually garage prices that will come with a full service when you buy and a 6 month warrenty etc. You are better checking the price on buyandsell or getting the average price on carzone and knocking about 1k off it.

ninty9er wrote:
    Don't mind BigNelly, it seems it's easier to list what he does like than what he doesn't

1. Audi's
    2. VWs
    3. Diesel engines

Peugeot/Fiesta/Opel I have put down, havent any other car, just cleared up the fact an Skoda/Seat is not the same as a Passat which alot of people seem to think. Thats been it, so can you link me where I put every other car down?

Put those those car from personal experience of driving them, alot of talk on here is usually from people who think they know everything about cars and when you ask them about driving it they never had, like so many great Skoda followers who will argue you to the death abou them but have never driven one or seen the inside of one.

Also with VW I have said I don't like the Polo or the Golf so that blows that statement out of the water, yes I like the Audi but who doesn't.

Diesel engine's, yes I like but then your saying I like every car with a diesel engine so how then in next statement you say I put down every other car type? make up your mind will you!!!

EDIT If you want to talk about my car tastes etc then start a thread about it and quit ruining this person thread! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

ninty9er wrote:

1. Audi's
    2. VWs
    3. Diesel engines

5. Blaming provisional license for drivers for world hunger. :D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Also we still havent been given a link to the car, could be over-priced etc.

Think I said at the very start that he's looking €7.5k for it.
    It's a '03, hardly over-priced.

they didn't have all the details of the car for me so I've to wait now until tomorrow before I can post the ad.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Think I said at the very start that he's looking €7.5k for it.
    It's a '03, hardly over-priced.

they didn't have all the details of the car for me so I've to wait now until tomorrow before I can post the ad.

Thanks.

Dont mind him, he doesn't like being corrected.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    Dont mind him, he doesn't like being corrected.

Again if you want to talk about me then go start a thread about it and you can put all your little sly comments in there and quit ruining this thread with stupid comments towards me

In regards to original poster yeah 7,5k seems very low for he car but as I mentioned there is alot of them on the market, over 242 advertised alone on carzone

Maybe would be better to try and trade in the car against a new one if at all poss and maybe a car with better options to resell. The 206 has flooded the market so second resale is very hard, especially in white!

Advertisement