Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone had any experience getting broadband in north dublin city centre?

• 05-07-2006 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i'm moving into a flat on north great georges street,and i need to get broadband hooked up as soon as possible.
    i rang eircom and they said i'd have to get someone out there to reconnect the phone,then after a week or two they'd be able to test it for broadband...
    i can imagine this dragging on for some time so i'd prefer not to do this,also they said they aren't able to guarantee broadband to anyone.

ntl said they don't offer broadband in that area,can anyone suggest any other alternatives?
    surely it cant be that hard to get broadband in dublin city centre...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

robinlacey wrote:
    hi all,

i'm moving into a flat on north great georges street,and i need to get broadband hooked up as soon as possible.
    i rang eircom and they said i'd have to get someone out there to reconnect the phone,then after a week or two they'd be able to test it for broadband...
    i can imagine this dragging on for some time so i'd prefer not to do this,also they said they aren't able to guarantee broadband to anyone.

ntl said they don't offer broadband in that area,can anyone suggest any other alternatives?

have patience mate, we have all gone throught the apllication and the wait! other alternatives is clearwire or irishsh1tband!

but I'd advise you to wait for Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

i just spoke to someone in digiweb who said they'd send someone out to test it soon-seemed like an alright deal,in that i only had to wait for one guy to come out,wheras with eircom i'd have to wait for one to come out and install a phone line then another to test for broadband..
    is there any reason not to go with digiweb?
    i need the internet for my work so getting broadband set up as soon as possible is a priority..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

yes but you need eircom to instal a line first? or can it be re-activated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

robinlacey wrote:
    hi all,

I live 2 mins from u next to the Ilac and North Main is my site.
    I am with Smart and also used to have BB with both Eircom and ESAT.

Drapper wrote:
    yes but you need eircom to instal a line first? or can it be re-activated?

it can be re-activated but they'd come out and do that in a few weeks,then after ive paid 120 euro and waited a few weeks they'd tell whether or not i could get broadband,so i could imagine things dragging on...
    i've heard that digiweb can be unreliable,has anyone any opinions on this?

• Advertisement

Anarchist wrote:
    I live 2 mins from u next to the Ilac and North Main is my site.
    I am with Smart and also used to have BB with both Eircom and ESAT.

does smart require getting a phone line put in?
    that seems to be a stumbling block in that it seems like it could take a while...

thanks for all the replies so far by the way,i appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

robinlacey wrote:
    it can be re-activated but they'd come out and do that in a few weeks,then after ive paid 120 euro
    A phone line is "reactivated" by making a small change at the exchange, and does'nt require a visit to the house. It's usually done in a day or two.

And it's free during July.

So if there is an existing line in the house, even if there's no dial-tone on it, it can be "re-activated". You only need a site visit if there never was a line in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I'm waiting 6 months.
    Do not expect to get a phone line form anyone other than eircom, Smart and BT say they can do it. But they actually cant, and will just leave you hanging there forever.
    You HAVE to pay eircom, that's important. I'm planning to switch to smart as soon as I get conencted.
    Most places won't let you put up an ariel, so no wireless internet. Also NTL is not supported in lots of areas, I lived in Dublin 1, and there was no NTL, I'm now living in Dublin3 beside Croke park (brand new building) and no NTL internet.
    Do not be fooled by moving into a new place, this gives you no extra chance of getting BB, builders here do not consider broadband when installing services.

So basically its adsl or nothing. if your line fails or are unable to get connected for 'unknown reasons' (like me) then you are screwed.

Foxwood wrote:
    A phone line is "reactivated" by making a small change at the exchange, and does'nt require a visit to the house. It's usually done in a day or two.

And it's free during July.

So if there is an existing line in the house, even if there's no dial-tone on it, it can be "re-activated". You only need a site visit if there never was a line in the first place.

huh,the woman i spoke to in eircom said that someone would have to go out to the house,is it possible that i was just talking to the wrong person?
    i don't mind having to pay the reconnection fee,its the threat of waiting around for ages that's the problem...
    ive put my name down with digiweb anyway,so i'll see if they sort it out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

robinlacey wrote:
    huh,the woman i spoke to in eircom said that someone would have to go out to the house,is it possible that i was just talking to the wrong person?
    If there was a phone in use in the house before, then it shouldn't require a house visit. Do some research, see if you can find out if the previous occupants had a phone number.

Advertisement