Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do head sealers work

Options
  • 05-07-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever used the sealant products like Thermagasket or K&W sealer to fix cylinder cracks / head gasket problems ? I have searched on Google and most people who have tried them are positive while most mechanic type responses are to stay away from them. So does anyone have personal experience of these products ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I wouldn't use them. I used a similar product in the past (Radweld) but found it unreliable. They may have some effect on a small 'weep' but generally on a leak a replacement component or seal is the recommended repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭banaman

me too, i've used them in the past and they've had little or no effect. Better to bite the bullet and change the gasket. Or if thats not practical change the engine. you can get various types of reconditioned engines or just go to your local scrapyard and take a chance. It all depends on how rich or mechanically minded you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Ive only ever used them as a short term thing ie to pass the NCT or more often than not sell the car.. I used novastop, consort sell it..
    (then sell the wheels) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ive only ever used them as a short term thing ie to pass the NCT or more often than not sell the car.. I used novastop, consort sell it..
    (then sell the wheels) :p
    One day you may find yourself the subject of a name and shame thread:D

Advertisement