Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Producer Recycling Fund

Options
  • 05-07-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that alot of prices have this * beside them, and then you read there is a small charge that goes towards a producer recycling fund.

Where is this and what is it.

I know there is a charge for say you buy a new tv and the shop has to recycle the old one and the charge applies to this, but if you dont have anything to recycle surely you shouldnt have to pay this.

Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

the simple answer is that you are paying for the future recycling of the product you are buying and the government are paying for what you are giving back (if any) there and then just so that issues like you raise dont thwart the system

Its actually now free to recycle old electrical items in a registered dump of your local county council,but the retailer will facilitate this also but they bear no charge only a registeration fee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

V & W Recycling Dundalk charge me two euro at the gate last week, I got an old TV and Computer recycled as well as loads of newspapers and mags and clothes.

So why is the charge so high for this fund, further investigation is required I think.

When I first read the story, it was lead to believe that you buy say a TV for x and then the retailer would collect and recycle your old tv for x charge.

From what you have said you dont pay for your old tv to be recycled just the one that you are buying now.

Chroc of gold that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the simple answer is that you are paying for the future recycling of the product you are buying and the government are paying for what you are giving back (if any) there and then just so that issues like you raise dont thwart the system

Its actually now free to recycle old electrical items in a registered dump of your local county council,but the retailer will facilitate this also but they bear no charge only a registeration fee

what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

You pay into a fund to set-up the structure to recycle goods. It is not for the tv you are buying now as such. In the future the fund will in theory need less money so the fee reduces.
    You do not have to pay to recycle electornic goods as a result. You can give your old goods in to a retailer when buying a similar prodcut. They do not have to collect from you but if they are deleivering to you they do have to take the old one away if it is reasonably clean.
    Some bring centres charge entry with a car but they can't charge for goods that are meant to be free of charge such as bottles and electronic goods. That is for council funded bring centres.

kluivert wrote:
    V & W Recycling Dundalk charge me two euro at the gate last week, I got an old TV and Computer recycled as well as loads of newspapers and mags and clothes.

So why is the charge so high for this fund, further investigation is required I think.

When I first read the story, it was lead to believe that you buy say a TV for x and then the retailer would collect and recycle your old tv for x charge.

From what you have said you dont pay for your old tv to be recycled just the one that you are buying now.

Chroc of gold that!!
    are this V&W registered with your local council as a recycler etc,

my local(tallaght) used to charge nothing for cardboard and paper etc now they charge a few euro for a car full because we all have recycle bins for that now the whole idea been only go when u need to as to tv etc they charge used to be €20 or more depending on what you want to dump but they now charge nothing

you might have been charged for the other bit i cant say but might be intrestening to check that out especially if they are the appointed place by your local council or other bodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Its a European law, and all prices for recycling are set by this law AFAIK.

see here for more info: http://www.weeeireland.ie/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

you buy say a TV for x and then the retailer would collect and recycle your old tv for x charge.

Then you would be paying 2x which would be extortionate.

But seriously this another rip off tax.
    When it was first mooted by EU, the Minister Thick Roche said that the retailers/producers would bear the cost and the consumer would not be charged at all.

When journos/opposition pointed out the facts to him, he said he would take it up at EU level as there appeared to be a misunderstanding.

He then said it was only charged if you had something to recycle.

When the law came into force last August and retailers charged even when nothing was being given back in, Roche said he would go after these retailers.

It was finally explained to him, and there's hasn't been a peep out of the phucker on the matter since...

My own view is that it should only be charged if you are presenting something for recycling.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Some further info on Oasis

I have a read of that, thanks for the info, better informed people make better informed decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

The charge is to pay for the disposal of Historical WEEE - the WEEE before the charge was brought in.

some manufacturers were complaining that if for example a company no longer existed, who should pay for the disposal of their WEEE.

The charge is supposed to go in a few years.

Paddyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

My own view is that it should only be charged if you are presenting something for recycling.

That would encourage recycling no end.

Cost of having old telly recycled: €5
    Cost of dumping old telly on the roadside: €0

There's far too much fly tipping in this country as it is.

John R wrote:
    That would encourage recycling no end.

Cost of having old telly recycled: €5
    Cost of dumping old telly on the roadside: €0

There's far too much fly tipping in this country as it is.
    i agree
    the fact that you have paid for it you might as well go and dump it in an authorised area

I think he meant that you should be charged when you are replacing an item, and not buying the item for the first time, meaning, if I dont own a TV and buy one why should be a charge 40e, instead charge me the 40e when I go to buy a TV to replace the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

John R wrote:

Shop assistant: If you own a TV already there is a €40 charge for buying this one but if this is your first TV there is no charge. So then have you ever owned a TV before?

Customer: Fukk no, I've never even seen a TV before.

<Old TV quickly gets disposed of somewhere secluded>

LOL

EDIT: sorry John R - meant to quote your post, but accidentally edited it. Very funny post btw (Roundtower2)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The most the PRF can be on a TV is €20. It's only fridges/freezers over 250 litres that carry the charge of €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Yeah, but if ye already have a telly, ye hafta pay €20 for the old one, and €20 for the new one

Its fúckin stupid. They ever hear of Baby Steps?

Same with Bin Tags. The bins have been collected for free for the last bajillion years, and out of the blue ye hafta pay €8 a week.

BABY STEPPPPS!!!

Advertisement