Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Port fowarding and then...

• 05-07-2006 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

More port fowarding.

Lads i need a lil help. I am trying to use bit torrent on a wireless connection. I was originally connecting directly to the bb[dsl] modem via cable but we have now shared the modem's connection wirelessly via a linksys wrtg54 router.

Originally when i was direct to modem, bit torrent was fine as i was able to port foward but when i connected the router it all fell apart. I guessed that the way to fix this was 1.port foward from modem to router and then 2.port foward from router to laptop's.

Modem is: 192.168.1.1
    Router is: 192.168.1.40
    Laptop is: 192.168.1.36
    Port 60535

So i went into the modem cpanel and set it up so it fowards port 60535 to the routers ip and then went into the routers cpanel and fowarded all 60535 to the laptop's ip.

I still get firewall/DHT firewalled.

How wrong am i?

nat.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

chern0byl wrote:
    Modem is: 192.168.1.1
    Router is: 192.168.1.40
    Laptop is: 192.168.1.36
    A router routes traffic between different subnets. You don't have different subnets, therefor you aren't using the router as a router. With the network as you've desribed it, traffic between the modem and the laptop is not "routed", and is not subjected to any firewalling by the "router".

The right way to add a new router to a DSL connection is to configure the modem in "bridged mode", and plug the modem into the routers WAN port, rather than one of it's LAN ports. Then set up PPPoE on the router. That way, you only have to do port forwarding in one place (the router).

Post the model numbers of the modem and the router for more specific advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What Foxwood said. Model numbers for more info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

The modem is the BT ZyXel Prestiege 623R-T1 and the router is a Linksys WRTG54.

Thanks for the help lads. Whats next?...step by step :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

chern0byl wrote:
    The modem is the BT ZyXel Prestiege 623R-T1 and the router is a Linksys WRTG54.

Thanks for the help lads. Whats next?...step by step :

To set the P623R-T1 in bridge mode, you should be able to connect to the configuration screen (http://192.168.1.1), (default username/password is admin/1234) click on Wizard, set the Mode to Bridged, set Encapsulation to RFC1483. Save the settings.

Disconnect the Zyxel from the LAN port of the Linksys (there are 4 LAN ports labelled 1, 2, 3 and 4), and plug it into the "Internet" port (just left of the LAN ports).

Connect to the Linksys interface (Normally http://192.168.1.1, but you've changed it to http://192.168.1.40, which is fine). The defalt username is blank, and the default password is admin.

Go to the Setup tab, set the Internet Connection type to PPPoE. Enter the username and password provided by your ISP. Select Keep Alive. Save the settings, and your router should now log in over the bridged Zyxel, and everything should be rosy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Thanks for the help lad. Will give that a go very soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement