Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish round of the WRC 2007

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

AlanD wrote:
    A round of the World Rally Championship is coming to Ireland in November 2007. How fantastic is that!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/05/story266359.html

I have booked my holidays already for those three days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"bringing in around €46m to the economies of the North and the Republic of Ireland"
    So do they use a random number generator for this kind of bullsh*t or what?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

Ken Shabby wrote:

adam

At last some good news to talk about and inevitably someone finds something to whinge about......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'd also be interested to know where they get the numbers from!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ken Shabby wrote:

adam
    I've seen a figure of 15 million used in promo material for the Galway Rally so that seems quite reasonable for a WRC round :)

Joking aside, it's bloody marvellous that we've got a WRC round and here's hoping Gareth McHale and some of the locals put up a strong showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

About time says i !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Robbo wrote:
    I've seen a figure of 15 million used in promo material for the Galway Rally so that seems quite reasonable for a WRC round
    If the marketer for the Galway Rally didn't pull that number out of a hat too. Which seems likely if it's promo material, rather than a financial dissection of the local economy pre- and post-event. Which is pretty unlikely, I think you'll agree.

To the respondent earlier: I never stated I had a problem with with WRC coming to Ireland, I was simply expressing dissatisfaction with the public's naiveté with statements like this. I've now added "an inclination to jump to stupid conclusions" to my list of dumbass reactions.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

For a round of the Rally of the Lakes not so long ago, a figure like 15m was mentioned so I went to work it out and see is the figure realistic. Using estimated figures for how many turned up at the event and what the likely spend of each person is, then that 15m was arrived at quite easily. So a figure like 46m is easily achieveable when you consider the number of people coming to the event which will be huge and global and the monies paid for tv deals, hotels, food, drink. It all adds up very quickly.

Don't be so sceptical. You can bet the actual sum of money will be close enough to that figure.

Back to the topic. I think it's such a boost for Ireland. To have the cream of drivers in the world come here is just an awesome thought. I'm planning my time already.

Any idea where the stages where the stages will take the rally?

Advertisement