Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu Dapper Drake

• 05-07-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Anyone want a copy of this? I've four discs to give away (PC version)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I got mine posted out, got them yesterday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

How did people find installing it? i hear its quite simple this time, im a bit apprehensive though after my last escapade! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Calm Horizons

It's ridiculously easy to install; make sure you get a hold of XGL/Compiz for the 3D desktop effect. Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CgqWlX_GsI

how do you get XGL to work properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I installed 3ddesktop which gives the whole zooming in/out and moving around to other desktops.

It's cool once you bind it to, say, F1, and you can just hit F1, move right and be on another desktop... not sure about XGL though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I got mine posted out to me a few weeks back.

Has to be the easiest linux distro I ever installed, I accidently left it while it was formatting the partitions, I came back and the whole OS was installed.

That XGL looks awesome, but it's meant to be a bit of a pain to get working properly.

The youtube video is very good, gonna give it a lash installing it again in a few hours. gonna back up my stuff first (just in case)

AIGLX Install Guide (good for integrated and non-nvidia/ati graphics cards:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145068&highlight=aiglx

XGL Install guide (for everything else:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267&highlight=aiglx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I DLed dapper drake then read that the CD tended to cause problems, freezing on installation etc. Has anyone had this? I tried updating to Drake from the CD (no internet where I'm living) but synaptic only listed about 4 packages then failed to update them with a vague error message (which I've forgotten).
    Is there a detailed guide to updating via CD?

I just tried installing it there again :mad: gave me an error when i was letting it partition my disk! so annoyed but at least it didnt mess up the pc
    *shakes fist at ubuntu installer*

• Advertisement

I downloaded it from HEANET and slapped it on a cheap CD; runs every time. Synaptic has trouble if you're behinf a proxy or haven't configured your network setting properly. Check this site:

www.ubuntuforums.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

You might need to download the "alternative install" disk to do an update
    from the CD.
    Because they've gone for a combined live/install disk, as coined by Kanotix,
    the basic CD is no longer a debian style repository.

Maybe the other one will work. I've dial up so I haven't seen it.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

I downloaded it, and froze on the partition stage, luck I still had my brezey CD installed it, and updated to get Dapper.I have one problem, it with X, but I have always had it with the laptop I use , it seemed to be fixed in brezey though.Unbuntu is the best distro IMHO, any newbie can have a linux system up an running in under an hour.

I've got the old Alternative CD downloaded now, and will give it a whirl soon.

fair play to you, i'm trying out Kubuntu at the minute to see how it sways me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I DLed dapper drake then read that the CD tended to cause problems, freezing on installation etc. Has anyone had this? I tried updating to Drake from the CD (no internet where I'm living) but synaptic only listed about 4 packages then failed to update them with a vague error message (which I've forgotten).
    Is there a detailed guide to updating via CD?

yeah, same thing happened to me. the thing froze and just sat there. I think i'll give breezy a try next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've done four Dapper Drake installs from CD in the past few weeks (on different machines) I got a freeze at the partition stage in one attempt, annoying but I just rebooted and went back to it. Worked without a hitch the second time round.

The install process is fantastically easy, the only remotely difficult part is partitioning the discs - which probably has more to do with a personal fear of messing something up and destroying existing data, something that I've (thankfully) never done.

IMHO though, Linux needs a decent 'net connection to really shine, particularly if you're just getting started (downloading programs and tools, getting help from the forums and community, etc.).

I gave up on the ATI card after about 5 days, and bought an nvidia to replace it. I tried installing the drivers from the nvidia site that I'd burned onto a CD, but the installer told me I had to leave X to do so. So I broke my xorg.conf in order to reboot to text mode and tried to install them. No luck, as there was no provision for Ubuntu kernels with these drivers. So I tried the option to compile one, which would maybe have worked if the kernel source was provided on the installation CD. By fluke, I happened to have the kubuntu dapper DVD, and a quick search on that found the .deb file containing the kernel. With that installed, I was able to compile the nvidia driver and so the config program ran and installed it. At least that's what it claimed to have done, but when I tried to start X or reboot there was no recognised nvidia module anywhere.

Next day, I went and downloaded the ubuntu packages for nvidia, and installed those, but X still wouldn't start as there was a conflict of versions between the driver that was installed and the one that wasn't. ???
    After manually wiping the directories containing the uninstallable drivers, I was able to (re)install the ubuntu packages and get output to my monitor and even my TV (joy!).

I tried to burn something this morning, but it seems there is no longer a decent burning package installed, and I can't remember what that GNOMEy one is called - gnome burner or toaster or whatever was installed with version 5.10.

I fired up the highly useful pre-installed rhythmbox to listen to a few tunes to relax a bit, only to be told there was no way of playing mp3s in it. Handy.
    After installing my old hard drive on an IDE slot, I could mount it and copy over the essentials for running xmms and xine, so at least I can watch a film and listen to the odd song now, but I have to wonder what in the blue blazes makes this a newbie-friendly distribution? Why do they bother posting out the CDs, as for anyone without a fast internet connection, they're as uselful as a Michael Bolton B-sides collection?

Pfffff (and more). I remember the good old days when you installed Linux and had a bit of control over your system. Yesterday I started playing a DVD, which cacked out after 20 minutes. I tried to stop it, but oh, no Ubunto had a f*cking nervous breakdown, for the second time in as many days. Gone are the days when you can call up a terminal and simply kill a process with the requisite switch, now it's all about opening a task manager and right-clicking hopelessly on a process and telling it vainly to die. Whether you use this or the commands line, here is no longer any kind of control over dodgy threads, the system does what it wants. Even when you reboot with a scratched CD in the drive, the whole system sh*ts itself and won't even load your home session until you force the disk out with a screwdriver.

Ubuntu has out-Windowsed Windows at this stage and Dapper will almost definitely go down as the most retarded distro I've ever used.

[edit]drunk typing casts leaves[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds like you had a very rough time. I've been similarly frustrated in the past myself, though everything's running very smoothly for me now.
    Gone are the days when you can call up a terminal and simply kill a process with the requisite switch, now it's all about opening a task manager and right-clicking hopelessly on a process and telling it vainly to die.

The task manager is ****. ctrl+alt+F1 to get yourself a nice term. :)
    I tried to burn something this morning, but it seems there is no longer a decent burning package installed, and I can't remember what that GNOMEy one is called - gnome burner or toaster or whatever was installed with version 5.10.

Gnomebaker. Lovely piece of kit. I found the built in one (in nautilus) to be pretty decent (i.e. gets the job done for me).

k3b is another high quality burn program. I prefer gnomebaker myself.

• Advertisement

Ahhh, baker.. I was looking for toasters and roasters, spit-fires and barbecues... I love K3B normally, but needs far too many dependencies to be able to install it on GNOME w/o internet. With a little luck, I'll have a connection in under a month, so I can breathe easier then :D
    The task manager is ****. ctrl+alt+F1 to get yourself a nice term.
    even that, or ctrl-alt-backspace, or even a reboot, won't work with a corrupt CD in the drive, which is a serious flaw. Has anyone else noticed it or is it a hardware issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

it's happened to me with one or two dvds, couldn't kill the process when it crashed, but just ejecting the dvd fixes that for me, i reckon it's probably more to do with whatever copy protection was on the disk

they were disks I burned myself, but I needed to unplug the PC and hit the eject button as it was booting up. Luckily it was the lower drive, as my upper DVD drive can only be eject from within the OS as the button doesn't work from behind the flaring on the case.

Advertisement