Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Italy Feelings

• 05-07-2006 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why do a lot of posters here harbour so much hate for the Italian NT and Italian clubs in general, always wondered like

Heres some examples
    For the good of football, I hope Germany win. They play good, honest, open and hard working football, while the Italians bore and cheat their way to victory more often than now.
    mike65 wrote:
    Great finish for the cheating divers, er Italians.

im disgusted, i hate italy alwyas have, nothing but chetas and ivers, everytime, totti, such an over rated brutal player, diving all over the place.

well one thing is for sure, we are gna have a very bad final with italy in it.

kinaldo wrote:
    ah bollox, was hoping for italy to get knocked out today so this would have more resonance
    Ruu wrote:
    I blame the Italians (the lot of them running around the referees waving their hands in the air)
    Bloody cheating Italians :mad: :mad:
    Can't believe Italy went throught with that. There is a fair amount of sh*te getting through to the quarter finals.
    rcs wrote:
    Hate to see the diving Italians go through..
    It was a blatant dive, but what else would you expect from them? I really can't stomach Italian football.

these are just a few examples, since my time here I have come across many more

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Its very strange alright. A lot of people want to see the "divers" put out of the WC while they cheer Portugal on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stereotypes I suppose.

Materazzi:
    “I think that after this match a lot of people will have to change their preconceptions about Italian football,”
    “Although some believe we’re a nation of cheats, simulators and time-wasters, we’ve proved in this competition that we play great football and are nothing like the clichés.”

Portugal are by far and away the worst team of "cheats, simulators and time-wasters". I never felt as frustrated as I did when watching Porto v Celtic in the UEFA cup final and the current Portugal team contains 6 of that Porto team.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm delighted that the Italians are in the final. Apart from the USA and Australia games they have been excellent. As for Portugal, ugh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't like Italians in general, and I know I'm not alone on this one. Why would I like their football team then?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

They're a strong side and deserved to win last night. They are fond of f**k-acting in front of the ref but rather have them in a final than an average german team. They've done well for a nation whose governing body are about to hand down sentance on one of the most corrupt cases in soccer in my lifetime. Fair play Lippi.

• Advertisement

I don't like Italians in general, and I know I'm not alone on this one. Why would I like their football team then?

Why would you hate them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I simply think the Italians play act on a consistant basis and rely on it to win matches.

I don't think that they're the only team at it hence I hope Portugal get knocked out tonight.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Stereotypes I suppose.

Materazzi:
    “I think that after this match a lot of people will have to change their preconceptions about Italian football,”
    “Although some believe we’re a nation of cheats, simulators and time-wasters, we’ve proved in this competition that we play great football and are nothing like the clichés.”

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4454423686791361608&q=materazzi

Gotta love Materazzi, pure scumbag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I think the last game has done a lot to make people think about Italian footy. But when I think of diving, I think of Italians. They pretty much invented rolling round on the floor clutching their faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Surrender wrote:
    Why would you hate them?

I said don't like, not hate. I'm not getting into that, you get banned for nothing on this forum. I've been to alot of countries, particularly around Europe. The vast amount of Italians i've come across haven't exactly been my kind of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

People dont get Italian football where defending is an art and where careful measured play is treasured.

I personally love it and think that Totti is an amazing player, Im Irish by the way but when I play im told I play like a (****e) braziallian.

Maybe its just how people are brought up, Italian football is great, I loved watching Diego and Napoli when I was growing up but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Inter when they thanked Liverpool for the champions league.

Forza Italia!

Emmo

I said don't like, not hate. I'm not getting into that, you get banned for nothing on this forum. I've been to alot of countries, particularly around Europe. The vast amount of Italians i've come across haven't exactly been my kind of people.

Apologies, didn't mean to mis quote, thats fair enough, I have to disagree though, I like 'em and their football, Forza Italia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I simply think the Italians play act on a consistant basis and rely on it to win matches.

I don't think that they're the only team at it hence I hope Portugal get knocked out tonight.

Yep all this running up to the referee (alot more than others) carryon, needs to be stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yeah they've played the best football of the torunament so far in my opinion (bar Argentina in that one very one sided match!) and thoroughly deserve to be in the final. Glad to see the players rising to the occasion whilst all the scandal takes place.

However its understandable why some people don't like their antics. They do nearly always go down when fouled (or otherwise:p) and their poncy (sp?)attititude can be really annoying at times. WHen things aren't going their way they can be right fudge muffins! I enjoy their cynicism though, I find it entertaining:D

Camoranesi is a right twat tho!

Cameronesi: The Argentinian mercenary, fair enough he is a bo**ix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Italian football is utterly corrupt as we knew and has now been shown, the defence-first mentality was a turn off (though yes, thats changed in the last 5 years), they do go down whenever they can (not the only ones to do so of course), as the players are so talented its such a waste. If they had pride they would'nt do it.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Italian football is utterly corrupt as we knew and has now been shown, the defence-first mentality was a turn off (though yes, thats changed in the last 5 years), they do go down whenever they can (not the only ones to do so of course), as the players are so talented its such a waste. If they had pride they would'nt do it.

Mike.

You could say the same about every South American team.
    I'd say their pride has also been shown their performances too, you can't blame the corruption on the players. Just the macheavellian principles of the polititions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well a lot of people as I said earlier are hypocritical. They cheer Portugal and Brazil and slate Italy as being divers. Ronaldinho is a big diver yet nobody mentions this because its unpopular. They were probably the first country to start it but they ain't the ones that perfected it. That was zie Germans...

As for running up to the ref with antics why not hate, the dutch, spanish, english, germans, Roy Keane, Gary Neville (wait we do hate him) and pretty much every footballing nation in the world. They all do it!!!

You'd call Ronnie a diver? As far as i can see he always does his best to stay on his feet. I've seen players kick the crap out of him and he still doesn't go down so i'd scrap him off that list. I'm sure he has dove a few times tho (just to see what its like :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well I'm not anti Italy. I put a fiver each way on them to win the whole thing at 8/1!

If you want to see cheating, diving, getting people cards etc I'd suggest watching tonights match Portugal and France. I reckon France may do it, but at what cost Thuram, Zidane, Ribery, Sagnol and Saha on yellow cards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

some people dislike the italiens because of their "Defensive mentality" but i can only admire how good they are defensivly after all the only person to score against Buffon has been an Italien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I was cheering them on all the way up until the last minute of the Aussie game. How fans can be proud of a team that blatantly cheats its way to success is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How fans can be proud of a team that blatantly cheats its way to success is beyond me.

Every fan will at some point do it, anyone here who supports any club has supported/cheered a team that contained a moment where a player cheated. Dunno who you support but Ronaldo/Gerrard/Owen/Shearer/Henry/Duff have all done it in recent times.

kdjac

Hmmmm.... Calling a dubious penalty decision 'blatant cheating' is a bit much don't you think? He took advantage of the situation, the defender went to ground had his body in front of him, he kicked the ball past him and fell over him, players do it to Goalies all the time, do people call them cheats? No, so whats the difference?
    It was really cheap but thats how it is. It was a horrible way to win but thats what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Surrender wrote:

That was obviously from one of the matches currently under investigation - nothing wrong there at all, how did AC Milan manage to get free kicks out of some of them? ;)

I hate players that dive. Rooney stayed on his feet a number of times in the lead up to his sending off, when he could have chose to go down like many others may have.

Anyway i think the italians played excellent last night and have no hatred towards them, cannavoro was brilliant, and i hope italy go on to win the world cup now. Although i wouldnt mind zidane lifting it as his final contribution to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I was hoping for a Germany v France final too.

Have never been of Italian football. I appreciate the emphasis on a good defence but it is far too boring for me. And this isnt the first time corruption has been uncovered in Italian football. Its been going on for years. Remember Paolo Rossi? While Cannavarro is an outstanding player, so many more of the national team are very average and the tactic of "if we dont concede a goal we cant lose" prevails as it has done for 40 years. Just look at Juventus, IMO Milan are much more offensive thinking but still the bores end up as champions.

As for the Portuguese dont get me started. Like Eirebhoy, I will never forget the antics of that Porto team against Celtic and in particular that deco. Would love them to get a good spanking tonight.

Surrender wrote:
    That's his style of play. He kicks the shít out of players but he's no coward and you seen last night when he took a sore tackle how quick he was onto his feet with no complaints. He was wrongly red carded against Australia and just walked off the pitch without a fuss. Last night while all the Italian players were celebrating Materazzi went around consoling the German players.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/3765834
    http://images2.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/WCDOR340070420_lower.jpg

and this:
    http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71369042.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=08A8BA3C818346D073951FA2971DF30C
    :D

I don't know. I just hate that word scumbag and 2 Italian's have been called scumbags so far om this forum for being rough players. Italy's number 10 has given people reason to call him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Materazzi is a rough player but he's a good guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

eirebhoy wrote:
    That's his style of play.

It's not a sytle of play. Kicking people in the ribs, groin etc is not a style. It's against the rules and therefore cheating. That video was shocking and he could potentially cause permanent damage to some of the world best players.

• Advertisement

It's not a sytle of play.
    He plays on the edge and risks a card with virtually every tackle. That's the way he plays. In that match against Milan he kicked 2 of his Italian teammates so I doubt very much he was out to injur them.

It's against the rules - that's why the ref has cards in his pockets. Having watched Celtic v Rangers for years I've seen a load of Materazzi type performances. :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was cheering them on all the way up until the last minute of the Aussie game. How fans can be proud of a team that blatantly cheats its way to success is beyond me.
    Duff dived against Spain in WC 2002 to win Ireland a penalty. I can't think of one person who said "jesus he's an awful cheat", or "you have to feel sorry for Spain they were cheated there". I know I certainly wasn't complaining... Its certainly not nice to see, but its part of the game so people should just deal with it. Every team has at least one player that dives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Surrender banned for a month, that charter you maintain you read specifically mentions scum as an abusive term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Rooney stayed on his feet a number of times in the lead up to his sending off, when he could have chose to go down like many others may have.
    This is the fundamental problem with football today, and the reason why it is becoming more and more dishonest.

Why bother trying to stay on your feet when you are getting no protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

it seems that italy bashing is the fashionable thing to do at the moment as it has been for a good while for instance the milan-juve final was one of the best games i have seen for sheer technical ability just because it finished 0-0 and went to peno's it was put down as being a boring match.

on the other hand if we were to take the liverpool-alaves uefa cup final that was described as a fantasic final as it finished 4-3, now honestly how many of the goals scored in that match were down to individual brilliance or just the opposition making mistakes.

i would like to know how many people here watch italian football on a regular basis and if you did then you would know that there is a higher avg. goals per game than so called best league in the world and la liga. just because sky sports doesnt promote the league is no reason to dismiss it as a sham as there is match fixing in every domestic league as it is profitable for the big 4 to constanlty be up there. are we forgetting the old manchester united that used to be in for critisisms for decisions from a few years back?

the majority of this italy bashing stems from the english media and since we are constantly being subjected as irish people(supposed to be a neutral country take their opinions) for instance there was a compliment given to gigi buffon(who has been the best goalkeeper in the world since he has been about 18) but mark lawerson stepped in and said and i quote "yeah but he's italian" is that not at the same at the same level as aragones giving racist remarks about henry or what big ron atkinson said.

also when grosso won the penalty there was outrage on this forum and i had to keep my cool as i would of faced a ban but the rules clearly say that if a defender goes to ground and doesnt get the ball but makes contact with the player it is a penalty.I do admit he was looking for it but what is the difference between what he did and your "god" henry did tonight?please inform me because i would like to know for future references?

currently there is a lot of coverage of la liga but when did this happen? it happened when a one mr. david beckham joined madrid and sky sports decided to cash in on the commericial bandwagon that he is. i just wonder if he had of gone to inter milan which was an option at the time would we still be seeing la liga on sky sports or would they have bought the rights to seria A

& finally to all those that dismiss seria a as being boring i bring up the point that where have the best attackers in the world always played. the first international strike that completly dominated world football was Gunnar Gren, Gunnar Nordhal, Nils Liedholm (the mythical Swedish "Gre-No-Li" trio) and lets not forget the other milan trio of Dutch trio of Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard. also when you throw in the likes of john charles( the greatest welsh player of all time and one of the best strikers of all-time as well but obiviously gigsy doesnt compare because he is in a league of his own because he scored a wonder goal against arsenel), then you have maradona,baggio,weah(the scorer of the greatest individual goal of all time when he ran the pitch and slotted it past the keeper, it can be found here for those of you that have not seen it before www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6VVDo-7IFI&search=weah

and in recent times we have had batistuta,rui costa, del piero, schevcheko,totti,recoba the list goes on, do i need to mention any more names,videos of all these amazing footballers can be found on youtube if you have never seen them play before.

Finally i will finish my rant on probably the two greatest professionals of all-time time franco baresi and paolo maldini. where else would you get two of the most complete players of all-time who could stop attacks, control the ball and then launch counter attacks as easily as they did i do believe the only other player who could live up to them is beckenbauer. these are what a footabller should be a complete all rounder a person who can do everything and someone who no matter how badly they are being beaten never gives up and that is why i would put them in the same bracket as being up there with muhammed ali as being the greatest sports profesionals of all-time.

i would realy recommend the history of football for a lesson in what sky sports and he bbc dont want you to hear. if you want you can pm me and i can put you in touch with my cousin who can get you this excellent series of what football is really about and not the english media tell you its about. ie gerrard, lampard and rooney the greatest player to have ever played the game me arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The difference between what grosso did and what Henry did was that The australian defender was on the deck well before grosso looked down, saw him there and decided to fall over him. Henry kinked the ball away from an opposing player and then had his foot taken away from him.

As for Weahs goal, you can only beat what is put in front of you. Greatest individual goal, now that is a bt strange, I have never seen it awarded the best individual goal by any official awarding body, Steve McManamans goal was a decent one, Giggs did score a reasonably good goal similar to it, that saudi guy scored a goal quite close to that against belgium I think and that was against an international team. Your bias is unfortunate, if you cannot see that there is good to be offered in more than just the italian league then you are sadly a victim of exactly the same thing that you accuse all others here of.

Finally, I will end my rant with this, where are the awards for the best all round player ? Why is there 11 positions on a pitch ? The reason is that everybody should not be good at everything. There is no need to be just as a nuclear physicist does not need to be a top solid state physicist, a defender does not need to be a top attacker. And I may be wrong but surely if you are to maintain that they are the best all round players of all time, then they should have served a stint in goals. Neville Southall, now there was an all round (in more ways than one) pro, he could catch, punch and lay off the ball quickly when under pressure, he could launch the ball the length of the pitch for an attack or place it on a midfielders toe to get play going. Who are you to say that these players would have been any netter in goal than Southall would have been outfield ? Have you forgotten garrincha, reputed to be one of the best ever, or pele, or paul mc grath, or chippy brady ? These players are all worthy of note, unfortunately in your quest to show how much more of a football fan you are than anybody else because you watch italian football and know a bit about the past of the league you support.

BTW I can guarantee you that one of he best individual goals ever was scored in the Mayo League, in the Mayo senior cup final, Ollie Roache scored for Castlebar united after lifting it over three players in quick succession before spinning around the keeper and sticking a backheel while still on the spin. Got a write up in the Herald too. Was a long time ago mind and since it is not a game in a league you support, it is probably not worthy of note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Finally, I will end my rant with this, where are the awards for the best all round player ? Why is there 11 positions on a pitch ?

there are not eleven positions on a pitch there only eleven players that play in a set formation that is why i would favor a team of eleven beckenbauers over a team of ronaldino's( the so called best player in the world at the moment), who do you think if they were to play against each other would win
    Have you forgotten garrincha, reputed to be one of the best ever, or pele, or paul mc grath, or chippy brady ?.

i did forget to mention these players as i was trying argue the point that seria a is not just about about defence that is why i brought a predominant attacking lineup. i have no problem admitting that garriincha was amazing but i do hold reserves over pele as i do believe he over-rated as a player . in all the world cups he "won" he was not as good as the world media made him out to be. he was only 17 in 58 and although he was good he was not player of the tourney while he was injured in in 62 and he was over shahowed by his team-mates in 70 as that team was as a collective was an awesome one.

i do hold a lot of regard for brady as a player who knew he was being transfered out of a club to the number one rivals and stepping up to take a penalty which resulted in his team winning the league from its rivals does impress me an awful lot. btw what league did that team play in when he was a t his best?

BTW I can guarantee you that one of he best individual goals ever was scored in the Mayo League, in the Mayo senior cup final, Ollie Roache scored for Castlebar united after lifting it over three players in quick succession before spinning around the keeper and sticking a backheel while still on the spin. Got a write up in the Herald too. Was a long time ago mind and since it is not a game in a league you support, it is probably not worthy of note.

i did not see this goal and therforee i could not possibly comment on it, if you can provide a copy of it then i will give you an unbiased opinion of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I don't know an awful lot about the history of football. But I think in fairness to the Italians, Serie A is historically the best league in the world. IMO, La Liga has, without doubt, overtaken it in recent years (and, if this scandal decemates the Italians as much as it threatens to, for many years to come). The Italian style of play has been defensive, which is why the best attackers in the world are required to break them down, which can lead to 'boring' matches. But, as I have learned more about football, it's quite clear that the technical quality and organisation of Italian football is excellent, and worth watching just for itself. Serie A is in a bit of a rut at the moment, but I still count myself as a fan of Italian football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

As a spectator I'm in the odd position that I actually prefer to watch great defending rather than great attacking. Give me Italy over Brazil any day.

I don't follow Italian league so I haven't had my opinion swayed by all the corruption talk.

I hope Italy win on Saturday purely as reward for Canavaro. He's been the best player of the WC by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

As an Australian I had few (few.. not none!) preconceived opinions of any Europeans teams, but since the 94th minute of the Italy Australia game I will find it hard to not jump up every time I see Italy play and scream loads of profanities regarding diving.

However, I will get over it.. But I'll not forget.

Adding to that... It's gets touched on regularly to bugger-all avail, but the whole diving, play-acting, deliberately getting someone carded issue really needs to be looked at.

Still hurting... Go France...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Ah in fairness that was well a penalty. You can't lie in front of someone in the penalty box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

bw wrote:

Adding to that... It's gets touched on regularly to bugger-all avail, but the whole diving, play-acting, deliberately getting someone carded issue really needs to be looked at.

You are aware that Bresciano got an Italian player sent off by doing just that aren't you

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    You are aware that Bresciano got an Italian player sent off by doing just that aren't you

I wouldn't say it was Bresciano's fault, the ref was quick to dish out a red card.

Either way - I never said Australia was not guilty of it. You'd have to agree in general diving brings a level of disrepute into the game? no?

Maybe it has started:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373449&cc=5739
    BERLIN, July 6 (Reuters) - Franz Beckenbauer has called for a summit meeting of players, coaches and referees in a bid to stop the increasing trend towards play-acting and feigning injury which has blighted matches at the World Cup.

Beckenbauer, president of the German organising committee who skippered West Germany to World Cup victory in 1974 and coached them to success in 1990, said it was time for players to stop cheating in a bid to gain an unfair advantage.

'I think it is time to get the players, the coaches and the referees around the table and try to find some sort of solution to this problem.

'None of us in the game wants these incidents. The players are seeking to gain an unfair advantage and attempt to exploit every situation.

'The referees are there to correct this kind of misconduct, but the players do not make it easy for the referees.

.. more in link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Good to see the Portugese are rapidly becoming the most hated team in the world. Personally I think the Italians are sound people having spent some time there, similar to the Irish in many ways, can't understand how somebody could hate an entire race, says more about them I suppose. Just goes to show it is important how you behave on the world stage in events like the WC and the Olympics, I wonder does the rest of the world think we are a nation of druggies after Michelle and Cian's recent antics.
    I'm sorry I joined this forum especially as I have so much work to do.

CHANGE YOUR SIG.

Advertisement