Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for something written in different forum

Options
  • 05-07-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Ok so Earthman banned me from Politics for what I wrote on this thread about what was important issues to me in the soon to be held general election.

I put forward issues that are glaringly obvious and I think need to be addressed. Obviously they were ridiculed and attacked as usual. Earthman banned me from the Politics forum subsequently as a result, and accused me of trolling etc.

However I did not post what I wrote there in Politics but in After Hours where the thread originated. It was then moved to politics and Earthman banned me, I wrote him two PM's and he has not even bothered to answer them. I did give him this space of time as in fairness he did say in his post that he was in Barbados on holidays. The fact is he banned me before and we made a deal and I have posted about 5 or 6 times since then only and all of my posts have been responsible and thought out unlike what I wrote on After Hours. A similar thing happened here with a thread about the North Korean missile launches.

I don't deserve this banning, I have been a member here for almost 4 yrs and have created my own share of topics and ideas. However banning me from the Politics forum for something I wrote on After Hours is incomprehensible and unreasonable. This is a Privately owned site and consider my self privileged to use it and commend the administrators for the great work of managing it. However a little consistency from this particular moderator (Earthman) would be appreciated.

It is a kin to banning me for saying cars are great on the Motoring forum because it may offend Motorcycle fanatics on the Motorcycle forum.

A little consistency please.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you contacted Earthman on this issue?

edit: re-read post, ok you did and in fairness, where do you come up with this stuff from?

"3) Stopping all forms of Immigration into Ireland, our country is being swamped by all sorts."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It could be argued that despite the topic being moved to Politics you will regardless keep your current stance on the subject, and because politic topics tend on average to last a bit longer then most other forums, you will be called up on those points and you...being you will defend your points which will result in the topic turning into mindless unsupported drivel. Leading Earthman to having to lock the thread and ban you anyway.

So its a pre-emptive strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If Earthman is in Barbados it might be a good idea to PM one of the other Politics mods, including your previous correspondence with Earthman, or is this not the done thing?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

netwhizkid wrote:
    However I did not post what I wrote there in Politics but in After Hours

How is Earthman supposed to know that until he reads your PM?

I wrote him two PM's and he has not even bothered to answer them.

I happen to know he has a lot on his plate at the minute and certainly isn't on boards 24/7.
    Why don't you cool your jets and wait for him to respond.

A little consistency please.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You wrote about politics in AH? And the thread got moved to the appropriate forum? Do I understand the situation correctly? That should get you a ban from AH too.

Politics mod considered it drivel and banned you from there after the thread was moved the appropriate forum? If it's offensive drivel, and you're consistently posting drivel there and everywhere else, you deserve a ban.

Why didn't you write said post in the Politics forum to begin with?

If I'm wrong, please clarify the situation better. No need for erroneous examples.

ed: Speaking of consistency: Can you please also use more exclamation marks, and formatting, and claim that your human rights have been trampled on by 'teh powah',etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He didnt start the thread, he just followed up.

I don't agree with his post or his use of valuable resources like oxygen, but he seems hard done by here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

psi wrote:

I don't agree with his post or his use of valuable resources like oxygen, but he seems hard done by here.
    Thanks.

Oxygen is being used by "all sorts" these days! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Why get into a tizzy. So you were banned on a nuance. It is not exactly a public forum even though the owners do need contributors so once you know the T&C you're smiling.

On the first of June I was banned for a week for some picadillo or other on AH and have not had the lack of dignity to go begging permission to post since. I am not interested in posting in these circumstances.

If I do get banned on other fora my stance will be the same.

It's like politics, you accept the fibs and still vote for the fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I don't agree with what NetWhizKid said, but he has every right to say it.
    I've seen this a lot on boards in the past year. A mod disagrees with what a poster is saying and so bans him or locks the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I dont agree with your comments but i think it is unfair the way you were banned. Its not like you intended them to be in a forum where they may be against the charter.

Its like if someone took a thread from Thunderdome and moved it to, say, christianity forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im sure earthman will see the mistake and unban you.

unless he has alterior motives for banning you, in which case, you probably deserved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Ban first, ask questions later. Did you not get a pm stating why you were banned? I thought it was policy to pm people if you banned them so that had a right of reply? You appear to be harsh done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I normally roll my eyes and laugh at these pleas, and I am no fan of Netwhizkid, but it is incredible unfair to be punished for something posted in another forum. If the situation is as he says then he should be unbanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

psi wrote:

Agreed. Not that anyone gives two flying fecks about what I think.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Ok so Earthman banned me from Politics for what I wrote on this thread about what was important issues to me in the soon to be held general election.

I put forward issues that are glaringly obvious and I think need to be addressed. Obviously they were ridiculed and attacked as usual. Earthman banned me from the Politics forum subsequently as a result, and accused me of trolling etc.

You have plenty of previous form for trolling.

I see in this thread you have glided over two important facts so I will clarify them.
    1. you have been banned a number of times already for this reason from politics and on the last occasion a number of months ago,it was meant to be a permanent ban.
    2.That permanent ban was lifted by me after a pm discussion with you,in which you promised not to troll on the politics board again.
    I warned you at that time that this was going to be your last chance and that trolling would not be acceptable on the board by you were I to come across it again.
    It's not my fault that you are not aware that posts on after hours on subjects that have their own board will be either deleted or moved to the relevant board.
    I wrote him two PM's and he has not even bothered to answer them.
    Well to be frank,As you know I had a long and protracted enough pm conversation with you with respect to your previous banning which I lifted in good faith giving you one last chance not to troll.
    I'm not in the habit of wasting time with people who dont keep to their word and I've certainly better things to be doing right now than conversing with you in the vain hope that you've underwent some kind of damascus road detrollification.
    Regardless your pm's did come in when I was on holidays,I literally have thousands of pm's in my inbox and yours do not have any kind of priority given my dealings/experience with you todate.

I invested my time in discussing not trolling with you before and you carry on regardless.Well as far as I'm concerned,I've no intention of wasting any more this time.You can troll away somewhere else without spoiling the politics board with it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

HavoK wrote:
    Not that anyone gives two flying fecks about what I think.
    Step one: acceptance. You're on your way, man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

This thread makes me feel almost as good as when Luis Garcia scored that goal that shouldn't have been allowed which knocked chelski out of the champion’s league in 2005.

We al know the goal shouldn't of been allowed but nobody cared cos chelski got knocked out and the fact that it was a dodgy decision only made it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

I remember hating a number of posts that this person has posted, but if they initially posted them in After Hours, I do not believe that they should have been banned for their opinion. The politics moderator should simply have deleted such posts if they were transfered from another forum.

This poster should be banned, but should be done for something they post in the politics forum, not an unrelated forum.

Earthman wrote:
    You have plenty of previous form for trolling.

I see in this thread you have glided over two important facts so I will clarify them.
    1. you have been banned a number of times already for this reason from politics and on the last occasion a number of months ago,it was meant to be a permanent ban.
    2.That permanent ban was lifted by me after a pm discussion with you,in which you promised not to troll on the politics board again.
    I warned you at that time that this was going to be your last chance and that trolling would not be acceptable on the board by you were I to come across it again.
    It's not my fault that you are not aware that posts on after hours on subjects that have their own board will be either deleted or moved to the relevant board.Well to be frank,As you know I had a long and protracted enough pm conversation with you with respect to your previous banning which I lifted in good faith giving you one last chance not to troll.
    I'm not in the habit of wasting time with people who dont keep to their word and I've certainly better things to be doing right now than conversing with you in the vain hope that you've underwent some kind of damascus road detrollification.
    Regardless your pm's did come in when I was on holidays,I literally have thousands of pm's in my inbox and yours do not have any kind of priority given my dealings/experience with you todate.

I invested my time in discussing not trolling with you before and you carry on regardless.Well as far as I'm concerned,I've no intention of wasting any more this time.You can troll away somewhere else without spoiling the politics board with it.

erm, does that mean hes still banned or not?

erm, does that mean hes still banned or not?

Yes banned.

• Advertisement

crikey.

thats harsh.

'sir, you were in that store 3 days before a murder was committed, so we are arresting you for murder'

"in my opinion" Earthman is an unfit mod (i dont mean he has man boobs - not that kind of unfit)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I don't understand. If NetWhizKid truly believes what he said (and I honestly believe he does), how can it be trolling??? Is it because it's inflammatory?
    Again, this is one if those "I don't agree with what you are saying so you're banned"

He didn't even post it in the Politics thread ferchrissakes. I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE!

Earthman just wont admit he got it wrong ..... actually probably a great mod for politics

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Here we go again.

Anyone with half a brain cell would have realised that the thread in question had a very high chance of being transferred to Politics.

As far as I am concerned I will mod any transferred thread as if it was started on Politics. The alternative is we delete all transferred threads.

Also given this users form I have no problems with his ban and may look at making it permanent.

well then you are as bad as earthman in this case ... at least wait til he actually does somethign wrong properly ... going by his form it wont be long and you guys can get your pound of flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Thats harsh.
    Surely the onus is on the person who transfers the thread to check to see if it is going to cause a problem in the new forum.
    After all its their fault it ended up in politics, not any poster on after hours.

I'm no fan of NWKid or his views either by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

gandalf wrote:
    Here we go again.

Anyone with half a brain cell would have realised that the thread in question had a very high chance of being transferred to Politics.

As far as I am concerned I will mod any transferred thread as if it was started on Politics. The alternative is we delete all transferred threads.

Also given this users form I have no problems with his ban and may look at making it permanent.

Still a pre-emptive ban Gandalf, something that is frowned on.

Again, All due respect to Earthman, its a bad bad call.

Its a precident and it means that you can unknowling post something that gets you a ban.

I get threads moved from all sorts into paranormal that actively break the charter.

A much more sensible approach is to mod the thread AFTER it was moved and any mod moving a thread should post to indicate as such.

Yes lots of users are annoying and I'd like to see NWK stopped from posting through means other than simply banning him from boards (maybe ways that involve a hammer) but I'm more worried about it happening when it isn't a long time troll and a poster who genuinely didn't realise.

Earthman is being very harsh and if I may say so, behaving in a manner unbecoming of a mod.

de-mod him for a week and see how he likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

psi wrote:
    Still a pre-emptive ban Gandalf, something that is frowned on.

Thats your opinion and while you are entitled to it I do not agree. The thread now resides in Politics therefore it is a Politics thread and all interactions in it will be dealt with as such.

Again based on the subject matter of the thread it was obvious it would be moved and the defense of "sure its an After hours thread and I can post whatever crap I want in it" is pure and utter tosh.
    Again, All due respect to Earthman, its a bad bad call.

Again your opinion and you are wrong. Con is one of the best mods on boards.
    Its a precident and it means that you can unknowling post something that gets you a ban.

I get threads moved from all sorts into paranormal that actively break the charter.

No you just have to engage your brain. If you are posting in a thread that is likely to be moved then be aware of the policy of the forum it could be moved to.

You are welcome to mod the forum you have responsibility for the way you see fit. Until you have modded somewhere like politics I do not think you really understand what is involved in it.
    A much more sensible approach is to mod the thread AFTER it was moved and any mod moving a thread should post to indicate as such.

So basically we should clean up the crap that is posted. Sometimes we do not have time for this and as a community it is up to the posters to ensure they are not posting drivel just for the sake of it. Thats the general rule in Politics for threads started there and it is the rule for threads moved there too now as well.
    Yes lots of users are annoying and I'd like to see NWK stopped from posting through means other than simply banning him from boards (maybe ways that involve a hammer) but I'm more worried about it happening when it isn't a long time troll and a poster who genuinely didn't realise.

TBH someone who makes a once off mistake will be treated as such and a user that has been perm banned and given a reprieve will be dealt with harsely as is this case.
    Earthman is being very harsh and if I may say so, behaving in a manner unbecoming of a mod.

I think it would be prudent of you to withdraw that statement and apologise to Con.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement