Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for something written in different forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

almost every thread in AH could be moved to another forum, does that mean they should be and everyone banned who breaks the charter of the forum its moved to?

gandalf wrote:
    I think it would be prudent of you to withdraw that statement and apologise to Con.

I have more respect for psi now than ever for questioning a mod when he is clearly in the wrong - its not some club where youa ll back each other up no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

6th wrote:
    almost every thread in AH could be moved to another forum, does that mean they should be and everyone banned who breaks the charter of the forum its moved to?

That is the case with Politics from now onwards. Obviously I cannot answer for all the other forums on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

6th wrote:
    I have more respect for psi now than ever for questioning a mod when he is clearly in the wrong - its not some club where youa ll back each other up no matter what.

Its nice you have respect for him. I get on well with him as well and have shared a few pints and a few dodgy stories with him (don't ask him about the banana story!!) but I think he is wrong with his criticism. I believe Earthman has made the correct call here and as such I am backing him up. As for clubs Earthman is a bogger and I don't want to be associated with whatever Welly Warrior Manure smelling social grouping he is a member of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

6th wrote:

Indeed it would!

We are forgetting that these are private fora which are open to the public subject to certain conditions as laid out in the charters. That being said, they are also subject to the whims of the administrators and moderators due to thae simple fact that they own the bloody boards.

Like it or lump it that's the way it goes. I really do not understan why certain posters get into such tizzies. I was given a week long ban on AH for some trivial nonsense or other. I am not arsed enough to go begging for absolution so I don't bother posting there! If I were to get further bans (anything is possible) then my stance would be the same.

Get over it. :cool:

• Advertisement

i'd say lift the ban and wait to see if he offends again - surely you are condfident he will if he's as bad as everyone says?

Heinrich wrote:
    Indeed it would!

We are forgetting that these are private fora which are open to the public subject to certain conditions as laid out in the charters. That being said, they are also subject to the whims of the administrators and moderators due to thae simple fact that they own the bloody boards.

Like it or lump it that's the way it goes. I really do not understan why certain posters get into such tizzies. I was given a week long ban on AH for some trivial nonsense or other. I am not arsed enough to go begging for absolution so I don't bother posting there! If I were to get further bans (anything is possible) then my stance would be the same.

Get over it. :cool:

do you copy and paste that post coz i've read it before.

I understand we use this facility at the discreation of the mods and admin, and the loss of one poster will not make a huge impact on the grand scale but its obvious this ban is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

6th wrote:
    i'd say lift the ban and wait to see if he offends again - surely you are condfident he will if he's as bad as everyone says?
    6th, I think you've made your point enough times on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

6th, you obviously just have a personal vendetta against Earthman. It amazes me how people who have no regular dealings with these people can then come along and stick up for them. Surely a mod's job is to to maintain the wellbeing of their forums and keep it free from trolls and muppets. You can't go around spouting crap about Boards not being a democracy etc etc and then say it's harsh when a troll gets banned. Let the mod answer to an admin if it comes to it, not other mods who know nothing of the situation.

fade2black wrote:
    6th, you obviously just have a personal vendetta against Earthman. It amazes me how people who have no regular dealings with these people can then come along and stick up for them. Surely a mod's job is to to maintain the wellbeing of their forums and keep it free from trolls and muppets. You can't go around spouting crap about Boards not being a democracy etc etc and then say it's harsh when a troll gets banned. Let the mod answer to an admin if it comes to it, not other mods who know nothing of the situation.

Personal vandetta, i'd never even seen either of these guys before. We dont swing in the same circles. I'm not sticking up for a person and compending the action taken.

I'll sit back and watch what happens from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

6th wrote:
    do you copy and paste that post coz i've read it before.

I understand we use this facility at the discreation of the mods and admin, and the loss of one poster will not make a huge impact on the grand scale but its obvious this ban is a mistake.

No, I rewrite to repeat the message!
    Why get into a tizzy. So you were banned on a nuance. It is not exactly a public forum even though the owners do need contributors so once you know the T&C you're smiling.

On the first of June I was banned for a week for some picadillo or other on AH and have not had the lack of dignity to go begging permission to post since. I am not interested in posting in these circumstances.

If I do get banned on other fora my stance will be the same.

It's like politics, you accept the fibs and still vote for the fibbers.

The point being that you are guests and the bouncers are looking at you...

But yet you say he's a bad mod and should be de-modded??

fade2black wrote:
    But yet you say he's a bad mod and should be de-modded??

He made a bad decission and someone else is paying the price.

Might I add Earthman is probably a really nice guy ... dont know ...dont care.... this isnt about him as a person.

Personally I just think you're getting involved in something that has nothing to do with you, and that you know nothing about.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Don't know anything about this situation, so i'll refrain from commenting on it, but.....
    6th wrote:
    I'll sit back and watch what happens from now on.
    and 12 minutes later...
    6th wrote:
    He made a bad decission and someone else is paying the price.
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

6th,

I see the wagons circling again, you had better get out of here.:D :D

You are in a no win situation, because you have an opinion.;) ;)

kadman

(sneaks out the back way)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kadman wrote:
    6th,

I see the wagons circling again, you had better get out of here.:D :D

You are in a no win situation, because you have an opinion.;) ;)

kadman
    I think that deserves another ':rolleyes:'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kadman wrote:
    6th,

I see the wagons circling again, you had better get out of here.

You are in a no win situation, because you have an opinion.

kadman

I think that's quite ironic since 6th seems to be the one trying to fan the flames of a witchhunt.

To make it clear, the likes of Psi are as entitled to their opinions as the likes of Gandalf are entitled to disagree them. (in my opinion as always of course).

My personal opinion is that objectionable posts from threads that are moved from different forums should be simply deleted but it's not for me to say how other mods who moderate very different fora and who have a lot of history with the poster involved should do their job.

Calls for "off with his head, he should be de-modded" don't exactly strike me as unbiased opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if 6th has some sort of vendetta that we don't know about or simply has some secret crush on Psi and wants to lap at his heels ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

delly wrote:
    I think that deserves another ':rolleyes:'
    I think it deserves a whole rolleyes.png tbh.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    I think it deserves a whole rolleyes.png tbh.
    QFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Ok so is this going to be the precedent here now? I suggest that it be written into the charter that if you post something in one forum that you can be banned in another forum for it. Isn't that matter for me and the respective AH moderators.

Earthman, you obviously don't want me on the politics forum and made that clear to me several times in previous correspondence. I also received no formal warning or any contact before or after been banned by Earthman.

We PM'd previously and I agreed to keep to the rules and I did this, If anyone can search back to the posts I wrote after been unbanned you will see that everything I wrote was above board and measured and justified.

It is just a good job that Dail Eireann is not run by certain moderators here or to compare boards.ie to a democracy would be to compare a donkey to a ferrari. Kim Jong-il would be proud. Talk about pre-emptive missile strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Mods are people too you know. People with FEELINGS.

If Netwhizkid had never been banned from Politics before, and got banned for this commment from a moved thread, I'd sympathise with him. However, he has enough cop on to know it was likely to be moved, and it smacks to me of putting inflammatory and trolly statements in because he thought he could get away with it.

The guy has been banned from Politics permanently before, it was a merely a combination of his tenacity and Earthman's pity that got him back in. If you were on your very.last.chance.ever.to.behave.or.else would you have the cop-on to post responsibly in a thread that was likely to get moved to politics? Yes, yes you would. Why should an exception be made for Netwhizkid? Has he not already had an exception made when he got let back into politics?

Also, what if other people had posted in a similar fashion after the move? Would they not be a bit pissed off they they get banned for posting such remarks when Netwhizkid was let away with it?

Anyway, back to your talk of 'cartels' and 'circling wagons'. It's interesting you know. 6th was once so super eager to become part of the 'cartel' when he was asking to be a paranormal mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

netwhizkid wrote:
    Ok so is this going to be the precedent here now? I suggest that it be written into the charter that if you post something in one forum that you can be banned in another forum for it. Isn't that matter for me and the respective AH moderators.

Earthman, you obviously don't want me on the politics forum and made that clear to me several times in previous correspondence. I also received no formal warning or any contact before or after been banned by Earthman.

We PM'd previously and I agreed to keep to the rules and I did this, If anyone can search back to the posts I wrote after been unbanned you will see that everything I wrote was above board and measured and justified.

It is just a good job that Dail Eireann is not run by certain moderators here or to compare boards.ie to a democracy would be to compare a donkey to a ferrari. Kim Jong-il would be proud. Talk about pre-emptive missile strikes.

godgivenright.jpg

setmypeoplefree.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Netwhizkid wrote:

rolleyesbarf4do.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

netwhizkid wrote:
    to compare boards.ie to a democracy.

Boards is not a democracy, never has been, never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It's not about "democracy". Everyone knows that the owners can do what they like, it's about fairness.
    Some Mods just can't admit when they've made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sleipnir wrote:
    It's not about "democracy". Everyone knows that the owners can do what they like, it's about fairness.
    Some Mods just can't admit when they've made a mistake.

And how about the possibility that NWK was trying to find a loop-hole by saying "I didn't post it on politics therefore the rules don't apply to me"? Given he is a long-time member and no stranger to being in trouble with the politics mods, I find it highly dubious that he is protesting such innocence of how things work.

I have absolutely no hand in politics, and I can't recall getting into much of an argument with NWK if ever about anything, so why am I bothering to post? Well tbh, that possibility of trying to find a loophole is the first thing that popped into my mind after reading the thread. So consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Loophole? Do you mean he posted it in the hope that it would be moved to politics where he might be banned so he could start this thread? Yeah, and America never landed on the moon and George Bush directed 9/11 so he could go to war with Iraq.
    You may all think it's righteous but it's not; it's ridiculous and childish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I did not honestly think or expect that particular thread to be shifted to the Politics forum. Nor I did expect Eathman or the other Politics moderators to have authority over what was written by me in After Hours. What do the Administrators say on this issue? After all, the buck eventually stops with them.

Earthman cannot have the Authority to ban me from Politics over this. I kept to his deal and I would expect him to show a little vision for once.

I know he is obviously under pressure having recently stepped down from the Moderatorship of the "Weather" forum. With the guy being under this pressure I think it is a rational argument to say that his judgment was flawed in this case and as a result I got an unfair and completely undeserved banning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement