Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for something written in different forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sleipnir wrote:
    Loophole? Do you mean he posted it in the hope that it would be moved to politics where he might be banned so he could start this thread? Yeah, and America never landed on the moon and George Bush directed 9/11 so he could go to war with Iraq.
    You may all think it's righteous but it's not; it's ridiculous and childish.

No. I said that the thought had crossed my mind that he had posted in AH, knowing that it would likely get moved to politics where he could claim that becaeuse it got posted elsewhere a ban was unmerited.

Or did you not bother reading my post? Or is it selective reading perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

netwhizkid wrote:
    I did not honestly think or expect that particular thread to be shifted to the Politics forum. Nor I did expect Eathman or the other Politics moderators to have authority over what was written by me in After Hours. What do the Administrators say on this issue? After all, the buck eventually stops with them.

Well now as this has happened I am making an issue of it, and protesting that you did not expect it to be moved to Politics is very short sighted indeed as the subject matter is a Politics topic. We have authority over what you write in any forum here once the thread is moved to politics, the thread becomes our problem and we will deal with it in the same fashion we deal with all threads in Politics.
    Earthman cannot have the Authority to ban me from Politics over this. I kept to his deal and I would expect him to show a little vision for once.

He does have the authority and so do I. And I agree with this ban. You were perm banned from Politics before and only allowed back (against my wishes) by Earthman. I am sure he see's the folly of his generousity now.
    I know he is obviously under pressure having recently stepped down from the Moderatorship of the "Weather" forum. With the guy being under this pressure I think it is a rational argument to say that his judgment was flawed in this case and as a result I got an unfair and completely undeserved banning.

His judgement is fine and using that "under pressure" angle is cheap and quite frankly does you no favours at all.

I for one will be standing firm on keeping this ban in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Shabadu wrote:
    Mods are people too you know. People with FEELINGS.

modsareppl22rr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

6th wrote:
    almost every thread in AH could be moved to another forum, does that mean they should be and everyone banned who breaks the charter of the forum its moved to?

It would certainly keep the idiots out of the forums related to the actual topics.

Although a lot of people actually post in AH, because they know they can get away with what they are saying. Take the famous traveller thread that got moved to Humanities. People were warned they were in a new forum and still a lot of them got banned.

Normally when I move a thread I put a comment into it to point out at where the thread moved. So as to let people know they are under new rules and let the mods know that previous posts may not of been intentionally breaking thier charter.

Although each forum has its own rules to some extent.

That said netwizkid is a bit of a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

and it smacks to me of putting inflammatory and trolly statements in because he thought he could get away with it.

I really don't think Netwhizkid was hoping to "get away with something", he was just posting on a thread that sparked his interest in AH. Perhaps he should have known better in so far as that it was inevitabely going to be moved, but...

On one hand, there are no end of people abusing NWK, calling him wetpisskid etc in the other various threads, and I know thats not the issue, but some people seem to be spending half the time debating his competence and insulting him and now suddenly when he gets banned they
    (some, not all) are suggesting that he somehow purposely orchastrated this current crisis by trolling in the definate knowledge that it would be moved and it is a bit hypocritical.

I Really think he deserves the benefit of the doubt here. And I'm not trying to stick up for anyone as such, I just think its a genuine mistake that should be given some slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

netwhizkid wrote:
    I did not honestly think or expect that particular thread to be shifted to the Politics forum. Nor I did expect Eathman or the other Politics moderators to have authority over what was written by me in After Hours. What do the Administrators say on this issue? After all, the buck eventually stops with them.

No the buck stops with the moderator, then the cat mod then the admin. The moderator has banned you, the cat mod has upheld the ban. Full stop.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Earthman cannot have the Authority to ban me from Politics over this. I kept to his deal and I would expect him to show a little vision for once.

I know he is obviously under pressure having recently stepped down from the Moderatorship of the "Weather" forum. With the guy being under this pressure I think it is a rational argument to say that his judgment was flawed in this case and as a result I got an unfair and completely undeserved banning.

Dont dare try and put a mod down. Its idiotic.
    The points you raised were those of an uneducated monkey living back in soviet russia!
    Deport the poles ban capitalism, this coming from our self procloaimed boards millionaire yeah? :rolleyes:

Your a troll of the highest order mate and I would love nothing more than to see you sitebanned TBH. And I am not alone in that.

Your a waste of boards space and processor power. Your a waste of my oxygen! Just go away and dont come back, please. Go spend your millions somewhere else!

HavoK wrote:
    On one hand, there are no end of people abusing NWK, calling him wetpisskid etc in the other various threads, and I know thats not the issue, but some people seem to be spending half the time debating his competence and insulting him and now suddenly when he gets banned they
    (some, not all) are suggesting that he somehow purposely orchastrated this current crisis by trolling in the definate knowledge that it would be moved and it is a bit hypocritical

Thats cause he is a troll.
    Him and that mobileinfantary chap some of the funnyest trolls boards has ever seen.
    The guy tells s hes a self made millionarire one day, and thats hes a starving student the next.
    Hes full of bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah earthamn has trigger finger, there was thread on the somme there which had a few post that mentioned the ol troubles arguement, but instead of suggesting that the conversation turn back to the somme and not go to the same old arguement he just locked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

yeah earthamn has trigger finger, there was thread on the somme there which had a few post that mentioned the ol troubles arguement, but instead of suggesting that the conversation turn back to the somme and not go to the same old arguement he just locked it.

This is not a "find a reason to slag Earthman" thread.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hobbes wrote:
    ...netwizkid is a bit of a troll.
    ...and Stalin was a bit of a bully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats cause he is a troll.
    mobileinfantary chap some of the funnyest trolls boards has ever seen.

Hey.....hey! I'm not a troll :D

But seriously, I don't usually come across any of Netwhizkids posts generally speaking outside of feedback, so I don't know of his usual habits or track record, but was just stating my opinion on the thread as it is laid out....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Honestly, it's like some people don't know when to stop. Shabadu's post really spells out pretty much how I feel on this one (and no, not the puking smiley..although...)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was gonna say that I have NWK on ignore because his posts are trolltastic, but that I always get a giggle out of the "FIGHT TEH POWAH! threads so had a look at what he said, and felt that Earthman had been harsh in banning him based on a thread moved from AH...

Then I read post #3 on the thread from when it was still on AH.
    qz wrote:

Are those alarm bells I hear ringing?

That said, there's a post from an AH mod on the first page of the thread, before NWK posted his diatribe, so maybe he was lulled into a false sense of security?

Anyway, I'm sure NWK appreciates the irony of his being banned from the politics forum, him being the champion of democracy (except the FF or PD variety)...
    netwhizkid wrote:

It is just a good job that Dail Eireann is not run by certain moderators here or to compare boards.ie to a democracy would be to compare a donkey to a ferrari. Kim Jong-il would be proud. Talk about pre-emptive missile strikes.

Eh, pot meet kettle, you have something in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I have no affiliation or particular association for anyone involved in this.

I simply like to see fair play. What NWK has done in the past may be help against him when he actively engages in the politics forum, however do you have a provision in the politics charter for when threads get moved there?

People using their heads is wishful thinking in the grand scheme that is boards.ie. If they all did that, you'd have no need for mods.

Like I said, I actively avoid posts by people like NWK, but at least give the guy a running chance.

If we all start making it easier to ban people we dislike... well at least send me the memo!

psi wrote:
    If we all start making it easier to ban people we dislike... well at least send me the memo!
    Except of course the motive behind the modding of the politics board is always to keep it a good enjoyable,informative easy read-a nice place for above low brow discussion...
    I hope thats perfectly clear now psi because I'm clarifying it for you.I'm taking from the point I've just quoted from you that you think it wasnt heretofore and thats ok too as long as you accept that now as being the case regardless of whether you think that was ever the case or not prior to this discussion.
    I'd like you to accept that its always the case.Yes always.I've enough faith and experience in my fellow politics mods here to believe that.

Incidently the stats are roughly about 90:10 in favour of the people I like having been banned on that board as opposed to the people I dont like having been banned.
    Not that I ever bother to look at it in that way.

Earthman wrote:
    Except of course the motive behind the modding of the politics board is always to keep it a good enjoyable,informative easy read-a nice place for above low brow discussion...
    I hope thats perfectly clear now psi because I'm clarifying it for you.I'm taking from the point I've just quoted from you that you think it wasnt heretofore and thats ok too as long as you accept that now as being the case regardless of whether you think that was ever the case or not prior to this discussion.
    I'd like you to accept that its always the case.Yes always.I've enough faith and experience in my fellow politics mods here to believe that.

Incidently the stats are roughly about 90:10 in favour of the people I like having been banned on that board as opposed to the people I dont like having been banned.
    Not that I ever bother to look at it in that way.

Thats fair enough and I accept your moderating in general is with that aim. But I wonder would anyone else have gotten a perm ban for having a post moved?

Even if "he should have known better" and had sinned in politics before, it's not like he pre-meditated the post. Had the post originated in any other forum, then again, I'd accept that "he should have known better", but AH is such a melting pot of tripe at times can you really tell - its a pick n' mix forum and you get lots of stuff in there that at times would be suited to politics AND doesn't get moved.

I mean, having read the post - which is pretty much a post against me personally in nature, I'm not so sure that AH isn't exactly the right forum to post it.

psi wrote:
    Thats fair enough and I accept your moderating in general is with that aim. But I wonder would anyone else have gotten a perm ban for having a post moved?
    You're a mod and you know sometimes modded posts/posters can be modded in variably different ways depending on the circumstances.
    To answer your hypothetical.I'd say yes depending on what it was though but yes also regardless of who the poster is which is It seems the implication you are questioning.
    Even if "he should have known better" and had sinned in politics before, it's not like he pre-meditated the post.
    How do you know that though?He's been shown as being capable of premeditated trolling.

Put simply: When someone gets a permanent ban on politics, its not given lightly.The decision is taken because the mod have decided that either the board would be a better place without that posters posts or that the poster in question creates too much modding[trouble in this case from trolling] for the mods.
    Notwithstanding the discussion around the time that the "first" permanent ban was given and rescinded,Net Whizz kid falls within both parameters above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Earthman is an atrocious mod and should be removed immediately; anyone who has unbanned wetpisskid shows no dilligence ;).

Perhaps it was a bit harsh but seeing as he's been banned umpteen times before, Earthmans just saving us politicos another troll that will get his banned umpteen++.

EDIT: Rephrased to make sure nobody though I was being serious in the first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gandalf wrote:
    Well now as this has happened I am making an issue of it, and protesting that you did not expect it to be moved to Politics is very short sighted indeed as the subject matter is a Politics topic. We have authority over what you write in any forum here once the thread is moved to politics, the thread becomes our problem and we will deal with it in the same fashion we deal with all threads in Politics..
    Threads generally do not get moved from AH. I recently accidently posted a thread there which was meant for politics and it was just left there. Threads often stay in AH despite having better homes.
    If the mods under whom the post was written gave it a pass then you cannot ban him. Just edit the post or lock/delete the thread.

EDIT: I'm aware that NWK is a little **** at times. I've argued with him, but that doesn't mean that he should be treated vindictively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

Gordon wrote:
    6th, I think you've made your point enough times on this thread.

Hello ther! I had a number of points to make regarding this thread and I was just wondering with you being an admin and all how many can I make? I don't wnt to upset people an I am new!

I did a quick count and a few posters are making repeated points like yer man 6th and being very confused I was wondering if you could offer me some kind of guide line?

5 comments if you support Netchild and say 15 if you support Earthmen?

I think that Earthmen made a correct decision by the bye.

Sidney

P.S.

Why do some people have silver stars? Cab I have them? Can't see how to choose a color in the user control option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sid Deuce wrote:

Why do some people have silver stars? Cab I have them? Can't see how to choose a color in the user control option?

you get the colour stars by buying drinks for the admins at the boards beers. 5 free pints = 1 colour star. silver stars are for people who have sticky pockets and dont buy the admins pints. see the wiki page on buying admins drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sid Deuce wrote:
    Hello ther! I had a number of points to make regarding this thread and I was just wondering with you being an admin and all how many can I make? I don't wnt to upset people an I am new!

I did a quick count and a few posters are making repeated points like yer man 6th and being very confused I was wondering if you could offer me some kind of guide line?
    I think you'll understand the guidelines the more time you spend here.

Welcome to the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The words mountain and molehill come to mind when reading through this thread. IMO, Earthman did the right thing. It was very obvious that the thread did not belong in AH from the beginning, and when the thread is moved into Politics the entire contents of it is now under the rules of the Politics forum, regardless of where it was posted prior to this.

NWK says that what he wrote in the thread was not a trolling attempt, but that they are his beliefs. I've never known NWK to be capable of satire before reading that post, but I don't believe he really believes in what he said and I think it was a trolling attempt. As Karoma said, he should be banned from AH too.

As a side note, I am an active lurker on the Politics forum for god knows how long, so I have a fairly good idea about how it needs to be run. I've seen NWK's antics on there in the past, and I admire Earthman for being consistent with this. It's just unlucky for NWK that the thread wasn't moved to the humour forum. It is harsh, but fair.

Actually, I withdraw my distaste at this action.

I've just realised I can move lots of posts from paranormal into politics threads and get people who annoy me banned. Maybe even site banned if the post is bad enough... slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

psi wrote:

I've just realised I can move lots of posts from paranormal into politics threads and get people who annoy me banned. Maybe even site banned if the post is bad enough... slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.....

lol, You're wicked psi! :D

psi wrote:

Heheheh <3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

psi wrote:

Am i that bad?

Sid Deuce wrote:

Welcome ... but dont ever reference me again! (kidding)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

psi wrote:

and get yourself banned in the process. So its win, win. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

psi wrote:
    ... slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.....

its softly, softly, catchy monkey, and many are the monkeys I've caught!

monkeyfunge - no monkeys were hurt in the posting of this message ;)

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    its softly, softly, catchy monkey

Not according to Micheál it isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement