Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaints about threads

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Yes, Christianity should be similarly tested. A christian or anyone else whose beliefs were not regularly challenged would simply be a mindless zealot.

Amp is correct "New Age" refers to the Age of Aquarius, which until recently I thought was no more than a song from Hair. (I spent too much time rockin when I should have been analysing the dross!)

"Enlightenment" can be used in an ordinary speech sense meaning coming to understanding or progressive. However, "THE Enlightenment" was a philosophical movement or period which ushered in the modern age of science, autonomy or individual reason, liberal democracy etc. It illuminated scary corners of the human imagination banishing a crippling world of authority, ghosts, goblins, crystals, blind faith, mysterious healers, astrology, psychics, clairvoyants, alchemists etc. A great flood of human progress followed in philosophy, the arts, science , medicine, engineering, politics. By the early 20th century some people were becoming scared of modernism and the requirement for thought and began to hanker for the "black arts" of an earlier age.

Anecdotally it seems to me that New Age has passed its peak and is moving slowly out of mass conciousness and back to the status of minor cults, the preserve of those who cannot cope with reality and doubt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The analogy is perfectly valid. Shinto and Islam are both religions and share numerous similarities, but it does not mean that one is a reworking of the other. The same applies to divination.
    No the analogy is not valid. Shinto and Islam are both seperate religions, completely independant of one another. Divination is a belief, or a belief in a particular phenomenon. Tarot Cards are merely one tool for the practice of that belief.
    "Enlightenment" can be used in an ordinary speech sense meaning coming to understanding or progressive. However, "THE Enlightenment" was a philosophical movement or period which ushered in the modern age of science, autonomy or individual reason, liberal democracy etc. It illuminated scary corners of the human imagination banishing a crippling world of authority, ghosts, goblins, crystals, blind faith, mysterious healers, astrology, psychics, clairvoyants, alchemists etc. A great flood of human progress followed in philosophy, the arts, science , medicine, engineering, politics. By the early 20th century some people were becoming scared of modernism and the requirement for thought and began to hanker for the "black arts" of an earlier age.
    I don't see how any new age beliefs are going to undo anything accomplished during the enlightenment. The main accomplishments I feel 'The Enlightment' achieved were to do with personal freedom, something most 'new agers' would strongly believe in. The banishing of the old age beliefs was accomplished not by some modern enlightened philosophy, but by the dominance of the organised religions (i.e. authority). As such, the reverting back to the old beliefs by many is a sign of even greater personal freedom, now that that organised religions are no longer free to dictate belief to us. Isn't this a sign of greater enlightenment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look the point of this thread was at first to have the spirituality forum shut down and as that is no longer being called for I am asking that this thread be closed.

The debates on what is and is not new age and the orgin of tarot card are welcome in the spirituality forum.

Posts about how people who believe in such things are
    "scared of modernism and the requirement for thought and began to hanker for the "black arts" of an earlier age. "

"cannot cope with reality"

"they are beyond reason"

"people who would like to live in a cheap horror movie"

"who enjoy the idea that they are misunderstood by as many people as possible"

Are not welcome.

Jackie you have gotten to air you views and any contructive questioning you may have will be welcome on the Spirituality forum.
    That is if you can stomach to post there was it seem to repulse you so, it could be that this happens for a good reason and you should take the time to wonder why you have such a reaction and not blame or lash out or belittle the people and beliefs that seem to bring it out in you.

I have to say I am rather dissapointed in your lack of manners in failing to address me on any of issues or any of the post which I have directed to you or am I too beyond reason to have discourse with or to be shown civility ?
    and if those of us who post in the spiritaulity forum are then it could be you are wasting your time and effort.

Thaedydal

ps thanks for the giggle Amp
    amp wrote:
    It's the age... of aquarius. EVERYBODY! Age of Aquarius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thaedydal

Thread seems to have run its course - closed....

V.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

High five Vexorg!

o/

(in before the lock)

• Advertisement

lol...

I cant find the close thread option where has it been hidden.!

V

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

And we all thought Cloud was only joking about taking over and removing the other admins ....

:)

(it's under thread tools near the top)

Excellent... now, is there a blanket close of threads in this forum option?...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There is but it's probably best if I just ban everyone from this forum Vex. I'll do that now, hang on.

• Advertisement

I like the cut of your Gib.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement