Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up shooting.

Options
  • 05-07-2006 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was looking for info on taking up shooting as a hobby, I know nothing about licences, regulations, gun safety or procedure (apart from common sense ;) ). Also what sort of prices are we looking at here, middle hundreds?

Basically I’m looking for somewhere to start, I was disappointed that you didn't have a sticky do deal with this sort of thing.

BTW, I would have searched the forum but I think its been disabled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I am new to this game aswell, only about 3/4 months as a firearms owner.

The cost can be reflected in what you want to do!!!!
    Hunt
    Target shooting
    Pistol shooting

And also the bramd you want to buy!!!!

Im new and as such wont be dipensing info etc on what i dont know, but the lads round here are very very helpful!!!

You will have to be more specific on what you wnat to do/but etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DDLR

Indeed, What do you want to do

Target shooting, Rifle or Pistol (small or Full Bore)
    Hunting
    Clays etc

And were are you based,

Some basic info,

You can get started in any shooting sport for around 1000Euro for low level BASIC gear depend on how far you want to go you can spend anywere from 1000 - 50000 Euro on everything :)

But there is alot of clubs around ireland for Small bore and Shotguns, there is a few pistol clubs now and one or two Full bore ranges around ireland :)

But give me more info and il let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Thats another thing, I appreciate the esthetics and mechanical operation of firearms so I'd like to see examples of the types of guns common to each catagory of shooting. Saying that I'd rather not shoot animals.

I get the impression that pistols would be very scrictly controlled, rifles less so and shotguns at the end of the scale. Is this an accurate assumption?

Could you link me up to a website that has some gear which could be legally obtained here?

Also, as a computer enthusiast Im not adverse to an expensive hobby ;)

Right well,,

You got Clay shooting, You use Shotguns, You can pick a shotgun up for anywere from 50euro to 50000 euro! Its fun for a while but gets old really fast,

Then you got Rifle shooting, You can do Small bore rimfire out to like 100Yards, its VERY cheap to do, You can pick up rifle for 200euro and 100 rounds for like 15 euro, 22lr ofc!, or you can go Center fire, now you can shoot anything from 220swift, 223(5,56) up to 338Mag, depending on what cal you get, It could cost alot of cash,

There is alot of rifle shooting types, from F-Class to IPSC,

Then you have Pistol, Now this were the fun starts, befor you can even get a pistol you will need to spend like 2000 euro to get a good safe, House alerm and other bits and bobs then you need to buy a pistol you like, They start at like 560 for a Glock 17 up to 2500 for a base race pistol, Again there is afew types of Pistol shooting, PP1,PP2, and my personal BEST IPSC!

Great thing about IPSC is you can use Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns, even the lot in one 3-Gun event! im going to be honest im to tried to go in to detail send me a PM if you want any help or need anymore detail info :)

What ever path you go down i wish you the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Thanks for the info, you've given me quite a lot to look into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

DDLR wrote:
    They start at like 560 for a Glock 17 !

Thats a very good price for a 17, who is doing them at that price?

Il send you the info in a PM! when i get home

Advertisement