Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alice Cooper on today FM

• 05-07-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Just got pointed over to the today fm website where i found a program called alice coopers rock show saturdays 6-9 pm, anyone listen to this, is it an import or what, i'd be interested to know if it's still on, and what people think of it. he's a very intersesting person that vincent furnier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I think it's still on, has been on for the last fortnight anyways.

As far as I know it's live

http://www.todayfm.com/Article.asp?id=223455

It seems pretty good, and yeah cooper is interesting enough guy to listen to, and knows what he's talking about musically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's a syndicated show - the same show is on virgin Classic Rock every night. A nice little earner for Alice I'd say! just record the links and let the station guys play the CD's!

http://www.nightswithalicecooper.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

cool, thanks for the info, i'll be definitely listening on saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Great show.

Same music that used to be played on Dad Rock before it was replaced by The Last Splash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah good show. I think he does one or maybe two mentions of today FM, but don't expect references to the local weather, that day's fantstic hurling final, or the latest political scandal. His show is otherwise syndicated.

I think this could be the first syndicated show on Irish radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The Chart Show as Gaeilge is what you might call syndicated across the country on local radio. I think its Dusty Rhodes' production company does that...

As for this, I was not happy that they replaced the excellent Car Wash for Alice Cooper. Today FM do some strange things to their schedule, like drop Dad Rock, which built up a nice audience, as did the Car Wash. I'm not knocking the Alice Cooper show, but I do object to it replacing a show I enjoyed. :(

Lads if you like that show, I'd highly recommend Virgin Classic Rock. It's online and on Sky digital. Every time I listen they play blocks of about ten songs I love before they play one I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

tbh wrote:
    Lads if you like that show, I'd highly recommend Virgin Classic Rock. It's online and on Sky digital. Every time I listen they play blocks of about ten songs I love before they play one I don't know.
    is it available on itunes or will i just have to look it up online, (browser player plugin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

the programme is from dusty rhodes' production company digital audio productions.. this was their press release about it at the time:

A BOY CALLED ALICE

Self confessed rock freak Alice Cooper has signed an exclusive deal with Digital Audio Productions to present his own unique radio show to be broadcast on Today FM.

Digital Audio Productions (DAP), the largest supplier of independent radio programming in Ireland sealed the deal with the world infamous singer on his recent trip to Dublin. Managing Director Dusty Rhodes is elated to have landed such a prominent host for an Irish programme.

“Adding to our PPI Award Winning Top 40 Oifigiúil na hÉireann and talk programming for RTE Radio One, it is great to be working with Alice picking tunes from ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Undertones, AC/DC and all the greats.”

The programme which runs a full three hours each Saturday from 6pm mixes music with features, emails from listeners and Alice’s raucously entertaining stories about his 40 years in the trenches.

“Alice’s humour is biting and often dark” says Dusty. “Also the personal stories he has from shoe shopping with Jim Morrision to hard nights with Jimmy Page at Whiskey a GoGo are fascinating and funny. Anyone with any kind of appreciation for guitar music is going to love this show.”

So what does Alice wear to the studio ? “I always wear all black. When I go into the studio I dress rock’n’roll because it makes me feel rock’n’roll”
    says Alice. “Eye makeup is optional”.

Bringing world class talent to Ireland is just the beginning of the story for DAP this year. Their HotMix programme has started making in-roads into the UK and the company are in talks to sell the show to a station in Singapore. HotMix offers six hours of radio hits specially beatmixed to create a party atmosphere. Currently sponsored in Ireland by Corona Extra, the show is broadcast on 98FM, Live 95FM, EastCoast, Shannonside/Northernsound and Galway Bay FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Genghis wrote:
    Yeah good show. I think he does one or maybe two mentions of today FM, but don't expect references to the local weather, that day's fantstic hurling final, or the latest political scandal. His show is otherwise syndicated.

I think this could be the first syndicated show on Irish radio?
    It's not.

In the past a couple of stations had Casey Casum (spl?) for the American Top 40 show, which was a syndicated show. I'm sure there was another American show on Radio Nova (really showing my age now!), Rick was the first name or the presenter, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good show, i listen on the way home on saturdays. He is a funny guy.. very funny show and excellent music. I do not know what it replaced as i never listened before on saturday evening.
    I thought it was going to be a live show too until i found out he was touring the US soon (while he is supposed to be in todayFM studios :D) And then i heard it and was convinced it was not live.. no phone in etc.. he does accept emails though.

Found the website too which was a big give away. Today FM made out in the lead up before he started that it was him in studio... though they never actually said so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

In the past a couple of stations had Casey Casum (spl?) for the American Top 40 show, which was a syndicated show. I'm sure there was another American show on Radio Nova (really showing my age now!), Rick was the first name or the presenter, iirc.

Nova, all of 23 years ago used to have the Billboard top 100 with Casey Casim. JKeep your feet on the ground but keep reaching for the starts and all that, every Sunday afternoon 3-6 with ads from one hour photo in the Galleria on Stephen's Green. God, Dublin sounded almost cosmopolitan back then!! The other show was Rick Dees american top 40 which Nova replaced it with when they lost the rights to the Billboard show. Rick Dees was a bit more comedic. I'm showing my age too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Them was the days! I have a book about Irish Pirate Radio somewhere must dig it out.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 murray sparkle

I love the Alice Copper show. If you like classic rock, whilst Virgin and Arrow are great on Sky, check out Planet Rock (Ch. 0110) I would have been sceptical enough about it - but it was on for about 4 hours last Saturday afternoon when I was painting and there was not one duff track. I hadn't listened to any of my rock stuff in a while, but today I am sure that I blew the car stereo speakers listening to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' by The Who.

Last Saturday they played Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good, AC/DC 'She's Got Balls', some GNR, The Who, Cream, Free and loads more. Excellent stuff

I love the Alice Copper show. If you like classic rock, whilst Virgin and Arrow are great on Sky, check out Planet Rock (Ch. 0110) I would have been sceptical enough about it - but it was on for about 4 hours last Saturday afternoon when I was painting and there was not one duff track.

Good stuff - I'll be doing the same tomorrow so I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I have a book about Irish Pirate Radio somewhere must dig it out.

Is it "Radio Radio" Mike? Great book, but after knowing what was going on with Eamonn Cooke in Radio Dublin some parts of it seem chilling in retrospect.

Can you imagine anyone setting fire tothemselves outside the GPO for anything these days, let alone the legalisation of Pirate Radio?

Them be the days, indeed.

Oh, alice Coopers show is totaly wonderful, great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I might be. Its so long since I've seen the book I can only recall it was a paperback!

Mike.

Advertisement