Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scratches on car, windscreen cracked.

Options
  • 05-07-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Is there paint that you can put on yourself over scratches? And does it work properly? I want to sell my car and want to get rid of scratches due to being parked right next to trees. Also I thought I heard an ad the other day that said they could fix cracks on windscreen without replacing it. Just wondering if that's true...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Deer wrote:
    Is there paint that you can put on yourself over scratches? And does it work properly? I want to sell my car and want to get rid of scratches due to being parked right next to trees. Also I thought I heard an ad the other day that said they could fix cracks on windscreen without replacing it. Just wondering if that's true...

Some scratches can be repaired by professionals without removing the windscreen but usually very shortly after they happen and before they get wet.

Your motor insurance policy may allow 'free' windscreen replacement. Give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Chances are good that the scratches don't need repainting. If you can't catch a fingernail in them, they are probably in the clear coat and can be polished out. The easiest way to do this is with a random orbital polisher, but that can be expensive.

Or you can take it to someplace like carcraft and have them do it for you. Doing it by hand would take an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Their kind of thick and dull. There's one or two key scratches on the bonnet for want of a better description but not too obvious so I'm not going to bother about those. Not using car at the moment as it's uninsured so can't claim for it! Wonder would scratches make a big impact to price - might knock a grand off it and just not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How it affect the resale price depends on age and mileage. If it is relatively new then it will have some effect. Get the car fully polished and see what happens - the problem is that a good polish can make some defects look even worse.

Advertisement