Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enet monopoly

Options
  • 05-07-2006 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Our town tried to set up our own broadband scheme and got grants for it an all. But an Irish company threw a spanner in the works, we had managed to get the bandwidth we needed from an Italian company for €3000 but where kindly informed that Enet where in charge around these here parts and we would have to pay them €30,000 for the same.

No wonder there's no broadband in Ireland, the technology and experience are there, it's cheep and any fool could do it but someone in charge is making sure we don't get it.

Is there anything we can do to get around this Enet crowd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I'd be very interested in that if you can provide me with documentation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dude , you will have to tell us more and should maybe PM the info.

eNet are not that bad at all and the Italians are great at talking out of their holes for want of a better way of putting it .

Nobody in here will believe any Italian company who promises them their bandwidth for €3k a year unless its crappy satellite stuff , and you do not want that do you :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ScumLord wrote:
    No wonder there's no broadband in Ireland, the technology and experience are there, it's cheep and any fool could do it...
    That's becoming a sadly prevalent view. Unfortunately, some fools are finding out that they can't do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

ScumLord wrote:
    You could get RyanAir to airlift the cheap broadband from Italy to you, maybe?

need to know where he is or we cannot advise of options .

he can fulminate all he likes and as for the bleedin Italians :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Sponge Bob wrote:
    need to know where he is or we cannot advise of options .

Says where he's from in his profile, hint: It's somewhere high :D

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

We're offeirng an Enet based transit service, and it's certainly not 30k! What exactly did you price up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ScumLord wrote:
    Hi,

Our town tried to set up our own broadband scheme and got grants for it an all. But an Irish company threw a spanner in the works, we had managed to get the bandwidth we needed from an Italian company for €3000 but where kindly informed that Enet where in charge around these here parts and we would have to pay them €30,000 for the same.

No wonder there's no broadband in Ireland, the technology and experience are there, it's cheep and any fool could do it but someone in charge is making sure we don't get it.

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Pimpers, if you're going to pimp, then post prices and hard facts please. If you're not prepared to do that, then don't post.

Ta

cgarvey wrote:
    Pimpers, if you're going to pimp, then post prices and hard facts please. If you're not prepared to do that, then don't post.

I'm not too worried about the pimpers. If the OP was trying to get a service 30km from the nearest MAN and blaming eNet for it not 'being there' I would have more of an issue with him than the 'pimpers'

At least they are not Italians :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pimpers? Whats this new fangled talk ye have? It's been a while since we did anything with this and I was just brought in as a technical consultant because I know how to change the screensavers. The guy setting it up wouldn't be the most technically minded in the world but he would have gone through every available channel to get this set up.

We are a bit out in the sticks although the towns ether side of us have DSL from Eircom. Eircoms been saying that we'd have broadband soon for the last two years.

I'll get the "facts" and get back to ye.

CG - I know better than to pimp! Genuinely helping the chap, if I can...just didnt think it would be great to have a long long long debate on it here, in particular if he was trying to achieve an end goal as such, that's all. ::

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Pimping allegation was directed at crawler & steve-hosting36 (5!), not ScumLord.

@Crawler: fair 'nuff, but leave out the "PM Sent" lark, because that to me is pimping, and roughly translates to "Our company are sooo interested in helping out the small guy, because we are motivated by ... blah blah". Roughly anyway!

So if any commercial offering wants to help out, that'd be great, but if either do it privately or publically. If it's public, put some hard facts (like price) in there, rather than the vague "call us" crap. Otherwise I will treat it for what it is.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Hat off... I don't get the whole Italian reference. Am I missing something obvious here? Either a company can or can't get backhaul to you, price isn't a factor in that capability. So the Italians aren't able to get you BB for 3K, by the sounds of it, despite what you say.

I read it as an Italian company could provide it for 3K were they able to provide it at all. If that's right, then shop around, as you'll get FTTH/C fair cheap.. except it's only in South Korea. I.e. your point is moot.

Does you 30K include a long dig to get to eNet, or something? Would a wireless link back to that point be cheaper, for example.

.cg

@cgarvey - will do. never mean to upset :)

Italian company - I would guess an Italian Transit provider, such as say Tiscali? Backhual is a different matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

but where kindly informed that Enet where in charge around these here parts and we would have to pay them €30,000 for the same.
    Did e-net inform you of this or did another 3rd Party?
    What is the name of your town or Co-Op scheme?

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Yup, me too would like to see some details on what level & type of connectivity was being offered....
    Enet is not all that bad.

E.

Advertisement