Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curl-friendly hairdressers

• 05-07-2006 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a good hairdressers in Dublin city that is great with curly hair? I'm sick of having mine butchered! I've never got a good cut or style and am always getting my hair snapped by inexperienced hairdressers that can't get through knots without yanking chunks out - not great when you're trying to keep long, curly hair in good condition.
    Any other curliy headed people have this problem?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I've never found anyone who's particularly good with curly hair.
    Anyone with naturally curly hair usually has it blow-dried straight most of the time & the perm-heads looks like they're leading the 80's revival.
    And no matter who you go to they all love volume! They'll do their damndest to give you tiny little curls all over your head & scrunch it to you can't fit out the door on your way out!

You're best bet is to ring round places & ask if they have someone who is experienced with curly hair & ask them what they would recommend for you.

The last person I went to was a senior stylist in Peter Marks in Dunlaoire (Bloomsfield Centre), can't remember ther name though.
    She asked if I wanted more body & when I said no she recommended a trim & nothing else, which I really appreciated! Most stylists'll be itching to cut layers in & use those thinning out scissor-yokes.

You're best bet is to fork out for treatments instead of having styles cut in & get trims every 2-3 months to keep the ends intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I go to Paul Hession in Drumcondra. I've been going to him for the past couple of years and am delighted that I've finally found a hairdresser that is good with curly hair. It's a bit out of the way for me but so worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I have naturally wavy hair and haordressers usually seem to just wash it so it looks straight, cut it and blow dry it straight rather than considering what its going to look like when I leave it natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Fiona in Origin in Ranelagh is great with curly hair for any dubs out there. I'm trying to grow mine after a DISASTROUS short cut about a year and a half ago (WHO CUTS CURLY HAIR SHORT?) (Zoo incidentally).

Anyway, she's great, she takes a lot of the weight out of it to keep it curly (my hair starts to lose it's curl and get frizzy as it gets longer), while actually making it look longer. She's a genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Mitzy wrote:
    I go to Paul Hession in Drumcondra. I've been going to him for the past couple of years and am delighted that I've finally found a hairdresser that is good with curly hair. It's a bit out of the way for me but so worth it!
    Whereabouts in Drumcondra? Like near Tescos and that dry cleaners etc?

Can't say I know it. Directions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

The hairdresser I've been happiest with is a curly-haired Australian(I think..) girl in Joseph Kramer in Stillorgan. I think the fact that she had curly hair is important, every hairdresser I've had of late that I've liked had curly hair. The advice is so inconsistent from the straight-haired hairdressers: wash it this way, wash it that way, use this sort of conditioner, use that sort, have layers, don't have layers etc. Now I know for sure that I need shortish layers to avoid the dreaded triangle.

I'm growing my hair long again after two years with a curly bob, so once it's long AND curly it'll be even harder to find a good hairdresser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

This is kinda freaky. I logged in in order to start a thread exactly the same as this coz I've decided I really need to get a good haircut. And because I have ringlets it's not as simple as just ringing any ol hairdresser.

I've never hit on any hairdresser that genuinely understands how fairly tight curly hair behaves and it's drives me mad sometimes. I'd love someone to just surprise me and actually work a miracle. (or at the very least, do something halfway decent that's worth paying for and doesn't leave you pissed off and frustrated).

Incidentally, do any of you curlyhaired girls feel baffled by your hair sometimes? I really wonder why I get sections of hair that curl clockwise in a ringlet, then stop, and curl the other way. Why the hell? Looks kinda stragne sometimes. :p

It's also strange that some sections will only curl clockwise and others will only curl anticlockwise. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that but I'm stumped, personally.

Anyone else have more curl problems? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

LadyJ wrote:
    Whereabouts in Drumcondra? Like near Tescos and that dry cleaners etc?

Can't say I know it. Directions?

It's up past the Cat & Cage - opposite the Skylon Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Mitzy wrote:
    It's up past the Cat & Cage - opposite the Skylon Hotel.
    Weird,I've never noticed it!

Maybe because I always stop for a few pints in the cat! :D

Cheers Mitzy!

Advertisement