Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prog for counting lines of source code ?

Options
  • 05-07-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Anybody know of a freebie prog to count lines of source code ?

I need if for some migration metrics.

There seem to be a few programs that do this but you have to register them, or they are limited (eg. only do it for 50 files).

I have almost 1000 Java files, and want to get a line count on them....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What OS?
    What (IDE) do you use for writing code?

http://ferruh.mavituna.com/article/?732

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://www.qsm.com/CodeCounters.html. Never used any myself mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You could probably code one in Java in about 30 seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CharlieRabbit

If you are using Unix or Cygwin then you could run the command below in your source directory.

find . -name \*.java -exec wc {} \; ~/line_totals.txt

Open the line_totals.txt output file in Excel. The first column represents the line totals. You can import using space as the delimiter. Sum the first column and there's your total.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

If you are using Unix or Cygwin then you could run the command below in your source directory.

find . -name \*.java -exec wc {} \; ~/line_totals.txt

Open the line_totals.txt output file in Excel. The first column represents the line totals. You can import using space as the delimiter. Sum the first column and there's your total.
    Field promotion to wizard with all privileges of rank, effective immediately.

Advertisement