Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairest way to split rent in a house??

Options
  • 05-07-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Me and the gf are going to rent a house with 2 other people, not a couple. The house has 3 rooms (1 single, 1 double, 1 double ensuite). The rent is 1300 per month.
    Whats the fairest way to split it?
    Any house I have shared has been on a tiered basis, ie; ensuite 550, double room, 450, single room 300.
    It has been suggested to me that we split this one as 1300/4 = 325 eu.
    With a small adjustment at either end, the single room is for 285eu, the middle room is 325, and the ensuite is 690 (345 each).
    I think this is a bit much for an ensuite.
    Any opinions?
    The most i have ever paid for a room fot me and gf is 550 per month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Seems like its a lot more considering your sharing a room but as its GF and BF and the usual conflicts that arise when single people are living in a house with a couple it doesn't seem that bad.

Now next question do you get extra space in the fridgewhen there's 2 people and are you going to label things in the fridge aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its my sisters fella, and my gfs best friend, so fights wont be a problem. my argument is that a double ensuite is usually around 550eu. So i think it unfair that its 690. Most people I know have a tiered system in a house. Its the room im renting , not the fact that 2 are in it.
    When/if my sis moves in with her bf, his rent will halve if you use my system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Doesn't economics tell us, it's not how much something costs, but rather how much people are willing to pay?

Squeez as much blood from your housemates as possible. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cantab. wrote:
    Doesn't economics tell us, it's not how much something costs, but rather how much people are willing to pay?

Squeez as much blood from your housemates as possible. ;)

Lol.....
    What you are saying is correct though- it is normally on a tiered system.

Why don't you suggest a combination of both systems- i.e. 200 per person + 100 for the single, 175 for the double and 225 for the ensuite?

If/when your sis moves in with her b/f you could propose to put her 200 towards the household bills (providing this does not lead to civil war of some nature....)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Judging by those calculations I'm getting a bargin!!! :D

Advertisement