Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne Frank

Options
  • 05-07-2006 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Just finished reading it, pure over-rated ****e. What a waste of time it was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

nollaig wrote:

Care to elaborate, or was that just an anguished literary cry into the cyber-ether?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

nollaig wrote:
    It was the private diary of a child who was gassed by Nazis and not really written for publication with film-rights and the 20-something market in mind.

nollaig wrote:

As with so much in literature, context and understanding is all. I fail to see how, given that this this book was written by a mere child in the most stressful of situations (imminent fear of death, cramped, claustraphobic conditions etc...) that you can label it so dismissively as sh**e (very eloquent and incisive).

Certainly from a stylistic point of view, it is in parts amateurish, and half formed, but what do you expect...it is a diary of a childs innermost thoughts and feelings, not something written for publication...and indeed it is a mere (if very fortuitous) accident of history that we have it at all. it does however have an honesty and clarity of perception which is, to me, quite breathtaking and precocious.

I think perhaps you should take the trouble to inform yourself a little about the history and culture of the time and the now lost Dutch judaic tradition from which Anne Frank and her family came. it may render the book more accessible to you...

If you don't like the damn book, fair enough, but do tell us why, a semi-literate "Sh**te" really aint gonna cut it.....maybe you should just stick to the Da Vinci Code....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

with a name like nollaig, you just know he's anti-semetic

Mordeth wrote:

Ho Ho, suddenly it all becomes clear. Mazeltov!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Anne Frank's diary is a snapshot from her life and chronicles an important point in human history - not fiction for your entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Care to elaborate, or was that just an anguished literary cry into the cyber-ether?

The second one :)
    Certainly from a stylistic point of view, it is in parts amateurish, and half formed, but what do you expect...it is a diary of a childs innermost thoughts and feelings, not something written for publication...and indeed it is a mere (if very fortuitous) accident of history that we have it at all. it does however have an honesty and clarity of perception which is, to me, quite breathtaking and precocious.

QUOTE]

Yes, I accept that it was never intended for publication and I guess its good for a 13 year old top have written but I certainly wouldnt think its breathtaking

I think perhaps you should take the trouble to inform yourself a little about the history and culture of the time and the now lost Dutch judaic tradition from which Anne Frank and her family came. it may render the book more accessible to you...

If you don't like the damn book, fair enough, but do tell us why, a semi-literate "Sh**te" really aint gonna cut it.....maybe you should just stick to the Da Vinci Code....

Where, oh where, in the book does it give you an insight into the dutch judaic tradition???:confused:
    Anne Frank's diary is a snapshot from her life and chronicles an important point in human history - not fiction for your entertainment.

I am well aware that it is was never intended for publication, but books should entertain. I am not blaming her, She was obviously talented, I am blaming every ****er in the last whatever no. of years have hyped this book up.

Yes, very true:confused:

Where, oh where, in the book does it give you an insight into the dutch judaic tradition???:confused:

I didnt suggest it would! My point was, that as you so obviously didnt get on with Ms. frank, maybe if you did a little reading round the book, you might feel greater empathy with/sympathy for it.... but hey each to their own.....

Oh and as a self-confessed Anne Frank hyping F***er, (thats one for the CV, cheers!) I remain angelically unapologetic, indeed I hope anyone reading this thread will nip out, grab it and see what all the fuss is about!!!

In the meantime i await your review of the book eagerly, no seriously, come on tell me precisely why you didnt like it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

nollaig wrote:

I am well aware that it is was never intended for publication, but books should entertain

Books are only here to 'entertain us'. I think that says it all! Nollaig, I hear Dan Brown has a new book out! Check it out.

Books are only here to 'entertain us'. I think that says it all! Nollaig, I hear Dan Brown has a new book out! Check it out.

Never said that books are here only to entertain us. I said they should entertain us.

But I have been entertained by non-fiction historical books more so than fictional books, Why else would you read a book? A good book should be educational as well as entertaining, if you are not going to enjoy it, then why bother? You only feel let down at the end, which is what happened after I finished Anne frank.

As for all yere obsession with Dan Brown, I'm not a fan of his at all but fair play to him, he's earnt millions and is a better writer than I could ever hope to be. So now, ye dont have to speculate any more on wheteher I'ma Dan Brown fan, it makes a difference apparently???

• Advertisement

nollaig wrote:
    Never said that books are here only to entertain us. I said they should entertain us.

But I have been entertained by non-fiction historical books more so than fictional books, Why else would you read a book? A good book should be educational as well as entertaining, if you are not going to enjoy it, then why bother? You only feel let down at the end, which is what happened after I finished Anne frank.

Unless I'm radically misunderstanding you Nollaig, your argument is starting to get a little circular. There are many reasons why you might read a book,entertainment is indeed one of them, but definitely not, by any means the only one.....

If it's YOUR only criteria, fine and more power to you! But you must appreciate that alot of us read for other reasons.....insight, education, understanding, to have our world view challenged, our minds stretched...however you want to characterise it...Some of the most 'difficult' and demanding books I've read have been the most worthwile intellectually...just like some of the best films i've ever seen have been completely and gloriously unsuccessful at the box office.....

If it's YOUR only criteria, fine and more power to you! But you must appreciate that alot of us read for other reasons.....insight, education, understanding, to have our world view challenged, our minds stretched...however you want to characterise it...Some of the most 'difficult' and demanding books I've read have been the most worthwile intellectually...just like some of the best films i've ever seen have been completely and gloriously unsuccessful at the box office.....

So just because a book is "worthwile intellectually", it is not entertaining. Surely if you find a book "worthwile intellectually", then it is entertaining. Maybe Iam missing something. And just because a film doesnt do well at the box office, it is not entertaining???

As far I am concerned, a book that gives you insight understanding, educates you, strecthes your mind etc (allyour points) does entertain you. No????

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Nollaig - I didn't particularly find my leaving cert history book entertaining but yet I managed to learn something from it. I didn't either find the film Hotel Rwanda entertaining yet thought it was a fabulous film one that taught me something. To my own mind a book or a film doesn't have to be "entertaining" for something to be gleaned from it. Just my own personal two cents.

Deer

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

nollaig wrote:

My god, i cant believe someone would actually post this on the Literature board. First of all "over rated"? Who ever said it was a great literary piece? The general consensus, from what i believe, is that it is emotionally involving because we all know what later happened to the LITTLE GIRL.

You should be honored that your even able to read it you ignorant w**ker.

Calling a little girl's private diary ****e is insulting to her memory. You say books should be entertaining, is that why you picked this up? What sort of moron are you.

F**k off and read "The Famous Five".

My god, i cant believe someone would actually post this on the Literature board. First of all "over rated"? Who ever said it was a great literary piece? The general consensus, from what i believe, is that it is emotionally involving because we all know what later happened to the LITTLE GIRL.

Calling a little girl's private diary ****e is insulting to her memory. You say books should be entertaining, is that why you picked this up? What sort of moron are you.

F**k off and read "The Famous Five".

Thank God! At last the unvarnished truth, may I say I'm in total agreement...I thought enagaing in debate might have been productive here, but bloody hell like being kicked in the face by a boot for all eternity....Though don't know quite how your post squares with your boddhisatva vows;)

toomevara wrote:
    Thank God! At last the unvarnished truth, may I say I'm in total agreement...I thought enagaing in debate might have been productive here, but bloody hell like being kicked in the face by a boot for all eternity....Though don't know quite how your post squares with your boddhisatva vows;)

I'm a zen buddhist, so i guess i can say that was a yang to my usual yin. Neccessary though, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

toomevara wrote:
    Though don't know quite how your post squares with your boddhisatva vows;)
    It sometimes gets a little frustrating waiting around to be the last being in the Universe to be Enlightened. Call it Karma-rage.

Who ever said it was a great literary piece? The general consensus, from what i believe, is that it is emotionally involving because we all know what later happened to the LITTLE GIRL.

So, its a good book because we know what happens the girl shortly after it is written??

Eh, Why? Fair enough, it is great that a record of that time has survived. But should be honoured to read it???

Why? It isnt insulting at all. Reading any diary of a girl that age would be boring for me, just pure and utter ****e! And I certainly make no apologiesAs for why did I pick it up? Well, the hype, i expected more than a girls diary, I guess. Surely, nothing wrong with that, seeing as this has gone down as a classic.

And yes books should be entertaining. Obviously my defitinition of entertaining differs from other posters as most people seem to think entertaining means the da vinci code!

As I have said above, a book that gives you insight, understanding, educates you, strecthes your mind etc does entertain you.

So, its a good book because we know what happens the girl shortly after it is written??
    I didn't say it was good, emotionally involving is what i said.
    Eh, Why? Fair enough, it is great that a record of that time has survived. But should be honoured to read it???

because you are seeing the soul of a little girl poured out on to the pages.

Why? It isnt insulting at all. Reading any diary of a girl that age would be boring for me, just pure and utter ****e! And I certainly make no apologiesAs for why did I pick it up? Well, the hype, i expected more than a girls diary, I guess. Surely, nothing wrong with that, seeing as this has gone down as a classic.
    It hasn't gone down as a classic, its a historical document of a very important time, written by an innocent victim.
    You wouldn't read a 13 year old girls diary normally? Thats at least reassuring. You expected more than a girls diary? What are you stupid?
    And yes books should be entertaining. Obviously my defitinition of entertaining differs from other posters as most people seem to think entertaining means the da vinci code!

As I have said above, a book that gives you insight, understanding, educates you, strecthes your mind etc does entertain you.

You have the worst justification for something i have ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

nollaig wrote:
    Reading any diary of a girl that age would be boring for me, just pure and utter ****e!
    if you KNEW you'd find it boring then why on earth did you read it and then sound surprised that other people thought it was good??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

nollaig wrote:
    i expected more than a girls diary, I guess.
    mindboggle.jpg

nollaig wrote:
    i expected more than a girls diary,.

Ohmyfuggingod, can the mod PLEASE, PLEASE, lock this thread, I'm begging and imploring on bended knee. It is a vile pustule on the arse of the whole boards ethos. With all due respect this individual is quite clearly not compis mentis...this thread IS the sound of one hand clapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I agree - can't argue with reasoning like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Indeed. Since this forum has a cat-mod but no local mod, and since this thread is undeniably pointless, I don't feel out of place as an s-mod in bringing the stupidity to an end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement