Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mambo Vs Joomla?

• 05-07-2006 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at pulling together a portal/cms solution with some e-commerce, newsletter, forum and support functionality and so far my opensource investigations have led me to two distinct products - JOOMLA and MAMBOSERVER.

My question is - based on experience - does anyone have specific opinions or recommendations for or against either of these products? Does one have an advantage over the other (in respect of maturity, quality of code, quality of support and/or community, availability of modules/add-ons etc.)

I'm basically looking for some advice on which is the better product based on your own experiences of using them. Thanks.

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I've used both in the past.

At the moment I'm only using Joomla! for new projects. As it is, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two, but as time goes on, they will diverge more and it seems from my observations that more people seem to be developing modules & comonents for Joomla! than for Mambo.

Thats the only reason.
    Well, that and I don't see the point in trying to be an expert in both since the do the same thing.

Functionally at the moment, there is little difference, though I must admit it's been a few months since I've had a look at Mambo.

My 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

yes i have used both and as the previous post mentioned there is very little in regards to functionality that differentiates both CMS's.

I think around a year we will see mambo & joomla will be different. joomla seems to have more developers behind it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Thanks for the replies folks.

I took a long hard look at Joomla and reached a sort of impasse. What I really need is a CMS/portal solution which allows me to create 'microsites' in such a way that whatever theme or template I'm using on each microsite can be utilised in a context sensitive way.

For example - on my main page I may have a 'recent news' feed. If I then go into one of the microsites within my website the same 'recent news' code needs to be context sensitive to only display news relevant to that microsite.

I guess I'm looking for some opensource solution that enables me to facilitate multi-sites or multi-users, with a common interface/admin but with the ability to be content and context sensitive. Any suggestions?

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 buckfast monk

dont use joomla/mambo. They dont offer the features you require. They arent the best cms around either. Just becuase they look nice doesnt mean they are the most pratical.

have a look at www.opensourcecms.com

Advertisement