Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs. France

• 05-07-2006 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

So who's it gona be :)

Italy for me

Who will win? 79 votes

Italy
    0%
    France
    100%
    Jimi-SpandexBalfaPHBPiEBounty HunterSupercellMarkcournionidreginstarman100BigConDapperGentDaveHLafortezzavorbisevilhomerStargaltherecklessonetuxyEarthhorse 79 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

France
    Hope its Italy, but Im afraid we are in for one shocking world cup final :(

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

France
    Italy for me too. The French lack the energy to last the 90 minutes in my opinion. That is what will win Italy the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

France
    Italia

You were quick to put this thread up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

France for me and Zidane in tears lifting the World Cup, etc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ruu wrote:
    Yes same here.

+ id win 300euro in work prediction league :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

France
    Assuming the France that played every game bar the spain one turns up, I cant see past Italy. Hope to god teh wc final isnt decided by a dive, especially not from Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

France
    Italy will make it third time lucky and finally lay the ghosts of 1994 and 2000 to rest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's Atari Jaguar?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

France
    Hope it's italy. For the sake of football in that country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

France
    It will be Italy.I thought they were great against Germany and have been far from negative in this World Cup. They brought on 3 forwards against Germany so they could win the game, hardly negative tactics. I look at France tonight and they were awful. They werent interested in playing football, they just wanted to park everyone outside the box and not concede.

Italy deserve it more than the French but at least if France win it will be a fitting tribute for the greatest player of his generation, bar none, to collect the world cup trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

France
    Italy, for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

France
    Both teams are fairly even but I feel Italy want it more and have the better manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

France
    Italy definitely, and deservedly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

France
    I picked Italy to win before the tournament and I am proud of the fact that going into the final I am still doing so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Hope it's italy. For the sake of football in that country.
    who cares about football in italy,

france for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

France
    went with Italy too but it could go either way as its hard to count out the X-factor the french will have due to it being a lot of their players last ever game for france and Zidane's last game as a pro.

World cup final not a bad way to go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

France
    Another Italy vote here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

err, I'd like to know how many people are actually voting for who they 'think' will win the final and not who they 'want' to win.

I can't see Italy winning this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

France for me, purely because I expect Italy to win and have money on them, and France seem to constantly manage to **** this WC up for me (apart from beating the Portuguese).

France
    Ponster wrote:
    err, I'd like to know how many people are actually voting for who they 'think' will win the final and not who they 'want' to win.

I can't see Italy winning this.
    Why? It's a question of Italy breaking France down. If they can unlock the defence I can't see anything but an Italy win. Gatusso loves to man mark and will have to much for Zidane. Nesta will surely be back for Italy too so Henry will be kept quiet. Malouda hasn't impressed me much. Ribery is inconsistant and coming up against one of the best fullbacks on the planted in Zambrotta. I just can't see where the French goals are going to come from against such a strong Italian team.

Italy have to much desire and too much energy to let France out play them. The only way I can see France winning is by a set piece.

I had always planned on putting a bit on Italy's opposition if they got to the final to guarantee myself compensation if they fail to win but I'm so confident that they'll win that I'm doubting whether to put anything on France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll go Atari on this one :)
    Kingp35 wrote:
    It will be Italy.I thought they were great against Germany and have been far from negative in this World Cup

Agree, was pleasantly surprised with their attacking game in the semis. And as always it is very hard to score against them. Their defence is easily the best in the world

France had the strongest performance of all teams in the WC against Spain and Brazil though. Have they got it in them to do it once again against Italy?

Hope both teams will play positively. If they do, I'd slightly favour France to win. If they don't, lets all hope it won't end in penos :(

I was in Italy by the way, the last time they won it. Absolutely mental :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

I really want ZZ to lift the World Cup in his last game for France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

France
    I really want ZZ to lift the World Cup in his last game for France

I don't think many don't, if only you could seperate him from the rest of the French team

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

France
    Italy for me, they have been quite entertaining, cant say the same about France v Portugal

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

France
    I would love to see Italy win it.
    At least they have been consistent throughout the tournament.

Zidane has been excellent and it would crown his career and put him up there with Pele and Maradonna.
    PHB wrote:
    if only you could seperate him from the rest of the French team
    My head says Italy. But I just wouldn't like to see Domanech win the world cup or several other French players for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

France
    I think italy will win. In the most boring final for at least 12 years.

I really hope they do too, got money on them. Also have a bet for Italy win/Toni golden boot. So I think for footballs sake it would be best if he got six goals in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The game was really exciting all that drama with the referee at the end was the highlight and the penalty goal against Ricardo was fabulous because I didn't expect him to get it as Ricardo was so good against the four English players but then again I guess you can't beat one of the greatest players in the world!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I agree with Eirebhoy, I can't see past Italy on this one. Swap Totti for Zidane and I would be supporting Italy 100%, but I genuinely would love to see ZZ lift the trophy. I'll still support Italy because they have so many players I admire, and Italian football really needs it, but for Zidane to win it in his last match will certainly be fine compensation if they lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I can't believe France got to the WC final.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I can't believe Domenech got to the final! If he wins it he'll be a national hero, which would be just wrong. It'd be like Sven being considered one of the all time greats in England if managed to fluke England to a WC win.

France
    It's either Zizou lifting the cup in his last ever game or Cannavaro lifting it in his 100th cap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

France
    Italy to destroy France. 3-0 is my prediction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why? It's a question of Italy breaking France down. If they can unlock the defence I can't see anything but an Italy win. Gatusso loves to man mark and will have to much for Zidane. Nesta will surely be back for Italy too so Henry will be kept quiet. Malouda hasn't impressed me much. Ribery is inconsistant and coming up against one of the best fullbacks on the planted in Zambrotta. I just can't see where the French goals are going to come from against such a strong Italian team.

Italy have to much desire and too much energy to let France out play them. The only way I can see France winning is by a set piece.

I had always planned on putting a bit on Italy's opposition if they got to the final to guarantee myself compensation if they fail to win but I'm so confident that they'll win that I'm doubting whether to put anything on France.

Do not underestimate the French eirebhoy, they're a really good team, I'll say Thuram, Henry, Zidane, Makelele will be really pushing for some goals and to defend their goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ruu wrote:
    Carlsberg don't do retirement parties, but if they did...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

France
    I think if the Italians can keep up a decent tempo throughout the game and keep their passing game going, they should beat the French. Isolating Zidane won't be easy by any means, but if they can manage it, they'll have a hell of a chance.

• Advertisement

France
    Nesta ruled out. :(

France
    affs, poor Nesta, that just ain't fair :(

France
    PHB wrote:
    affs, poor Nesta, that just ain't fair :(
    Sure isn't. He injured himself in the 98 world cup in their 3rd game and missed the rest of the tournament. He also missed the Korea defeat 4 years ago because of injury. Third world cup in a row he gets injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neither can I, it could have been The Plastic Hammer brigade. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

France
    It looks like the final might not be the most entertaining......

but how and ever I said Italy at the start and Im goin to stick with them

scorecast - gonna have a tenner on Pirlo to be 1st gs with a scorline
    - Italy 1 - 0 France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I really see France winning it. Just do. Maybe that partially for my love of ZZ. Best player easily of our generation. But then again, reading Paddy Agnews book(Forza! Italia, great read), the insight I now have of Italian footy and how important it is to them, I wouldnt mind seeing them winning it. But just for ZZ, I want France for WC 06. Gonna miss it tho but shall see the highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

France are lucky to be in the final and for me they don`t deserve to be. Watching them play is so boaring and Zidane whom I can`t argue with is a superb player and has pushed his team to the final but he is past it at this level.

Italy are however the far better side and much more enjoyable to watch. They`ll be victorious on the day for sure.

PS, Thats if Henry dosn`t take a dive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

France. Last bastion of civilization against Bush-Rice-Rumsfeld-Blair. And WC Champions most likely to upset les Anglais.:D
    Allez les blues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cableguy wrote:
    France are lucky to be in the final and for me they don`t deserve to be. Watching them play is so boaring and Zidane whom I can`t argue with is a superb player and has pushed his team to the final but he is past it at this level.
    He's "passed it at this level" but yet he "has pushed his team to the final"
    Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

There is a difference between determination and fitness. Its a good combination of both that win's medals and has to be said ZZ`s fittness lacks even though his determination is 110%

Good quote BazMo
    A girl once dumped me for not opening a car door for her...........I just swam to the surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

tough to decide, cant give a sure vote on either.

Although like brazil in the last world cup, i like zidane work his magic when hes truly 'putting on a show', the guy is a legend. (I mention brazil from last world cup as watching them was just.. pure entertainment factor and it was brilliant to watch football at its best)

I think ZZ has a point to be proven here, and I hope he puts on a show :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

An interesting stat from their last lineups is that there's not much difference in the average ages. Italy: 29yrs vs France: 29.64yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I really hope France do it.

France winning will p*ss off so many ageist people who think any player over the age of 30 (or is it 28?) is past it and should immediately retire.

France
    Indeed, that is an annoying trend, players can play till 32 without many problems, but that alone wouldn't want me to see France win.
    They have one great great great player, who has absolutely nothing to prove btw.

I don't think Zidane can win this game for them, Gattuso is capable of stopping him, and without Zidane, France are very lacking.
    Makelele will have a lot less effectivness in stopping Pirlo, because Pirlo does most of his playmaking from the deep. So while he will stop Totti, Pirlo will be able to create quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

France
    I have a feeling this match is going to be unbelievably close, but hopefully in an entertaining way and not a nervous possession holding way. I think Italy as they have shown consistency the whole way through this tournament and as said above, if ZZ is marked out of the game, France have very little else to offer. Ribery could be dangerous again but i think overall that Italy have the better team and i also think they deserve it this time round.

Togo for WC 2010!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement