Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs. France

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

France
    Argh, why is Gattuso not wearing any shorts?!! Dear God, that is some horrible looking underwear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Trampas

France
    They will.

ZZ done because of the tv he shouldn't be sent off then.

He deserve to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

France
    I'm glad Italy won. They deserved it over the course of the tournament if not the night itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ZZ done because of the tv he shouldn't be sent off then.

He deserve to go

Eh Make your mind up.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

France
    Excellent :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I love that trophy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Better team lost the final.
    Italy gave up attacking at half time.
    A poor end to a sub standard World Cup.

France
    If ever a captain deserved to lift the trophy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

France
    Well deserved over the tourney I think.
    France may have been better in the 2nd half, but Italy have been the best team in this tourney.

Cannavaro deserves to lift that cup, incredible player!

p.s. got them at 11-1, so I'm very happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Trampas

France
    mike65 wrote:
    Eh Make your mind up.

Mike.

He was right to be sent off but none of the officials seen it but then the 4th official sees it on the big screen.

That is wrong about the sending off.

• Advertisement

France
    Trampas wrote:
    He was right to be sent off but none of the officials seen it but then the 4th official sees it on the big screen.

That is wrong about the sending off.

That's completely wrong - the 4th official did see it, but I'm guessing he didn't want to ruin Zidane's swansong by sending him off. It was because Buffon went over to him and protested it that he acknowledged it; so when the ref went over to him it only took 2 seconds to decide that it was a red card.

That's completely wrong - the 4th official did see it, but I'm guessing he didn't want to ruin Zidane's swansong by sending him off. It was because Buffon went over to him and protested it that he acknowledged it; so when the ref went over to him it only took 2 seconds to decide that it was a red card.

Thats nonsense, players are always arguing the toss with refs but they don't listen. The forth officeal had a word in his ear.

The forth offical has that power as the ref misses some stuff (shock horror!) while the linesmen are useless as a rule.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Shouldnt you just be happy he made the right decision? no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thankfully Gattuso put some pants on!!

Superb penalty taking on both sides, a great end to what wasn't the best final ever.

I'm delighted with Italy winning. Overall, I feel they deserve it more. And what celebrations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

France
    Trampas wrote:

Nobody knows that for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

France
    typical french behaviour.

zidane should be fined heavily imo. had wanted france to win purely to see zidane go out in style. in the end was willing italy to win.

idiotic behaviour from zidane, no excuses. any captain who does that in a world cup final, doesnt deserve to be on the winning side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

that was some headbutt. Mustve really hurt witht the force.

People usually get sent off for headbutts that are just little taps, he knocked him off his feet.

Im pretty gutted about the whole thing, I reckon England coulda dealt with any of those two if it wasnt for the dirty portuguese.

But overall I reckon Italy did enough, France couldnt compete in the second half

Annoyingly Zidane can't get a ban! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement

France
    daveirl wrote:

They were bo**oxed tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

France
    But overall I reckon Italy did enough, France couldnt compete in the second half

What the hell are you talking about? France were by far the better team in the second half.

France
    Im pretty gutted about the whole thing, I reckon England coulda dealt with any of those two if it wasnt for the dirty portuguese.

Jesus, the final was bad enough as it was...;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Italy hardly touched the ball in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

France
    reckon England coulda dealt with any of those two if it wasnt for the dirty portuguese.

Delusion takes over. England were rubbish & It was Rooney who stamped on a player :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Deeply dissappointing end to the WC. Italy reverted to type and were shocking bar 30 mins in the first half. They played well against Germany and were decent against Ghana and Czech Rep... and that's it. Still, £40 for me :)

France didn't commit enough players forward. Don't get what all the Henry slagging is about - he was totally isolated all game and still managed to make a few chances for himself and his teammates. Why isn't he running on to the cross from Ribery? Er, 'cos he's fuvking bollixed that's why.

Zidane, ahahah. What an infamous way to end his career. Bet he enjoyed it immensely, he'll regret it a tadge now though. Still the best player since Maradona.

Makelele was my MOTM tonight, incidently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Italy better 1st half.

France better 2nd half.

Argentina were the best team of the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

France
    I'm delighted that Italy did it at last. :D Hopefully they'll have to change their shirt logo now to accomodate the fourth star, I'm not too fond of their current badge.....
    Davei141 wrote:
    You shouldnt really speculate, its not fair on materazzi.
    Pfft, it wouldn't be the first time that Materazzi has done something like that in order to incite an opponent. Not saying he called Zidane an Arab (although if he did, Zidane should come out and say it to the media) but he has done stuff like this before. He was mouthing off to Shevchenko during the 2004/2005 CL match with Milan just before Sheva headbutted him. He's not the cleanest player around, and it seemingly extends to his vocabulary.

Link to the headbutt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBV52GPhNjw

France
    Ah, I'll miss Apres Match as much as the football :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You can take the man out of Marseilles but you can't take the Marseilles out of the man.
    After watching every match for a month I wanted to turn of the TV I was so appalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

France
    France didn't commit enough players forward. Don't get what all the Henry slagging is about - he was totally isolated all game and still managed to make a few chances for himself and his teammates. Why isn't he running on to the cross from Ribery? Er, 'cos he's fuvking bollixed that's why.

Would definitely agree with that. Alot of Henry haters on this forum, or maybe just people still pissed off with the face holding incident. He did well when he had the ball. I wouldn't treat their opinion as the be all and end all but skysports.com gave him an 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

France
    Henry played the best I've ever seen him play tonight for France, but within that system, he will never look like a good player.
    My criticisms of him are not related to his football ability (well not during this WC anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

France
    well done italy !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

A weird feeling left after watching that game. Wasnt a great game and Zidane, one of the most gifted players I have seen in my lifetime ends his career in disgrace. So a bit of an anti climax.

Over the course of the tournament Italy deserved it imo.

Cannavaro was an absolute joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Hah bizarre to see him do that after the Tom Humphries piece on Zidane in the Times yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

France
    daveirl wrote:

so the winners should be the team who isn't tired after 45 mins? utter rot!

well doner italy. over the course of the tournament they played beter than france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

materazzi said : "here zidane , ure past it , u will never play for everton now"

zidane should get a life ban from fifa even if hes retiring.
    worse thing ive ever seen on a footy pitch
    and with a cupla billion people watching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

An odd match to say the least,I thought France were the better side,they looked to have more conviction in attack.Unlucky that Vieira was injured and an absolute shame for Zidane to be sent off(he deserved it,but i really dislike Materazzi,i think he's a dirty player and probably said something really out of line)

Its just a shame for Zizou,the greatest player I've ever seen,to end his career like this.He's been the best player of his generation and to be sent off like this in his last game was such a shock.

As for Henry,i though he played fairly well tonight,dont think he can be criticised that much,the system didnt suit him and he was still threatening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    materazzi said : "here zidane , ure past it , u will never play for everton now"

zidane should get a life ban from fifa even if hes retiring.
    worse thing ive ever seen on a footy pitch
    and with a cupla billion people watching.

Not the worst I have seen. Ive seen Matterazzi do just as bad on a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

zidane29b6cp.gif

France
    Just on an aside: the commentary on RTE has been excellent - Gilesy, Brady, Dunphy and Souness were great. Apres Match too - if I hadn't been drinking so much then I'd come up with some more superlatives to describe it, but I'll settle for saying that that too has been er, excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

adox wrote:
    zidane29b6cp.gif

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give that sub-zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

France
    For a player of his class, it was a petty act of senseless anger. Something that should not be seen on a football pitch ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

France
    Fair play to the 5+ people who voted for Italy to win the World Cup after the shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

France
    zidane loafed him for one of these two reasons.....

the insane nipple cripple he got or... materazzi said "Last night i had your entire family in my room including your wife and your oul lad was the best" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

While Zidane had to go it's unfortunate that the system of 'punish the retaliator not the person who started the fight' continues.

Why wasn't Materazzi booked / sent off also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gotta say I feel for France.
    They knocked Spain,Brazil and Portugal out ,all in normal time.
    Italy scored a 94th minute dubious penalty to beat Australia,they played a putred Ukraine team , and they failed to score against a German team in normal time.
    Italy were very limited and went back to their negative attitude .
    Sad to see them win the final

• Advertisement
Advertisement