Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doors without architrave

Options
  • 05-07-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I've seen interior doors hung without any architrave, just a small frame. The rest of the door opening has a plastered finish. I suspect this might only be possible with solid walls but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

You can finish any frame like that, The last time I did it we were using Teak frames with a timber slip planted all round at the back, the plaster then finished a bead round the the door way...and the painter then had the nice job of cutting in the wall color to 30 or so frames... :)
    click on the pic below shows what it looked like...might be what your thinking off...it can be done a few different ways....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

That's interesting. I though that might be a way of doing it, alright.

Just to be sure I understand... You take off the old architrave and then using some rough timber, you make something for the visible frame to screw into. I preume you could plaster first and then put the frame on and hang the door.

Appreciate the answer. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If its an existing doorway ( a studded partition) you would not be able to put the slips on the back of the existing frame as the Ope would be too narrow,
    you would have to reduce the frame width by 1.5 inches. And your door by the same to accommodate the slips...3/4 inch all round

You could conceivably cut the slab back and expose the stud and sand it down and paint it, a lot of work involved in doing that, you would have architrave put on quicker..

The only way this will work successfully is, if you are starting from new and the Frame Ope's are built to accommodate this type finish...The Frame is fitted as normal and the Plaster does his job, and you hang the door afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Ah, I see. That will save me some messing around.

Thanks.

Advertisement