Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young player of the World Cup?

• 05-07-2006 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

So now that we have pretty much all of the young players knocked out of the World Cup, who has been the best young player in your eyes?

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bypa/eligible.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sorry, we could not find the page you requested. The requested page may be outdated, or you may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly. Please try using the following links to find the information you want.

Ehh 404 who plays for Korea!!!!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, heard about this on BBC London radio today. They were livid cos C. Ronaldo was winning it :)

Walcott had something like 2000 votes apparently.

/EDIT: Walcoot on nearly 3000 votes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh I fixed it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Podolski would get my vote. Him and Klose looked excellent together.

I wonder how many times we are going to have to here Theo Walcott before it loses its humour?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ronaldo for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

why didnt philip lahm make the list?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ronaldo won it, despite a good effort to stop him by all those who love football and hate people like him.

Never mind.

Lahm is 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

should have been lennon :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ronaldo won it, despite a good effort to stop him by all those who love football and hate people like him.
    Regardless of how much he dives, he put on an exhabition of football tonight. It took three and four French players to stop him tonight. You can't argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Senderos was quite good... no goals conceded. I have to say though, I don't think any of the young players have done anything particularly special. Ronaldo's team made the semi-finals, but all he did was knock in a couple of penalties and throw a few ineffective stepovers. Young Toure wasn't bad, Messi was injured, Rooney had the misfortune to play for England, and Theo Walcott's selection was a joke. All-in-all, a bad tournament for young players, with the possible exception of Franck Ribery, who didn't seem to be included in this list.

• Advertisement

Ribery is 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

scott carson / theo walcott !!! - warmed the bench well... :eek:

barnetta - wasnt bad. - Podolski ^ gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I got an email form an English mag telling me to vote for Valencia to spite C. Ronaldo...
    Needless to say I voted for Ronaldo :p
    Fecking english..always need a scapegoat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

what about fernando torres. Hes young isnt he? Shame lennon didnt get to play a bit more. the fact he made such an impact with the little opportunity he had said it all. Must say its been a dissapointiong comp for stars. I cant think of any player young or old that really jumped out and impressed me during the world cup, Nothing like Rooney at euro 2004. wonder wholl get the golden ball? but thats another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Ronaldo for me, probably. Podolski played quite well and got himself a few goals, but I feel Klose was the main reason their partership worked so well. A good runner-up nonetheless. Little Touré and Asamoah Gyan did well, but not that well. Messi and Lennon looked good briefly, and Rooney had his moments. But Ronaldo, I think with the exception of one match, was always a threat. Tonight he was (as I - for the first time ever, probably - correctly predicted) Portugal's only real threat, which was impressive considering the absolutely ridiculous blame that's randomly (dare I say xenophobically?) been attached to him for Rooney's red card, and the stick he was getting. Wish he would stop diving though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

which was impressive considering the absolutely ridiculous blame that's randomly (dare I say xenophobically?) been attached to him for Rooney's red card

What? Ronaldo is clearly a hypnotist of diabolical proportions why else would a player be sent of because their foot accidently accelerated into the groinal region of an opposing player? Tevez has to get an honourable mention as well. I thnk he was better than Messi this WC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I didn't see all the games but Ribery & Lennon had the biggest influences IMO.

Edit: can't believe we're not discussing Messi's World Cup, disappointing he wasn't played...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Here is the latest poll obviously all the English are voting for Valencia, some strange ones, 46087 votes for Rooney?4262 for Walcott??957 for Scott Carson??? Must have big families. Shows that internet polls are not worth the paper they are written on.

Player Voting Percentage Individual Votes
    Luis VALENCIA (ECU) 34% 331243
    Cristiano RONALDO (POR) 25% 242198
    Lionel MESSI (ARG) 12% 118837
    Lukas PODOLSKI (GER) 6% 60800
    Wayne ROONEY (ENG) 4% 46087
    Chu-Young PARK (KOR) 2% 20338
    Cesc FABREGAS (ESP) 2% 20195
    Hossein KAABI (IRN) 2% 19584
    Sergio RAMOS (ESP) 1% 15659
    Andres GUARDADO (MEX) 1% 11375
    Aaron LENNON (ENG) 1% 11153
    Christian BENITEZ (ECU) 1% 9703
    Asamoah GYAN (GHA) 0% 8642
    Tranquillo BARNETTA (SUI) 0% 5487
    Philippe SENDEROS (SUI) 0% 5239
    Mehrzad MADANCHI (IRN) 0% 4658
    Theo WALCOTT (ENG) 0% 4262

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Patmac welcome to the forum, please change your sig as it is not work safe.

Best young player for me was messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

• Advertisement

Podolski wins and well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Bit disappointed with Podolski winning, thought he was decent but as said before Klose was the reason he looked good, he took his goals well but never looked like the type of player who was going to create anything.

For me the best young player, by a country mile, was Ronaldo - but I am absolutely delighted he didn't get it (diving etc.). Hopefully he might cop himself on and grow up a bit - but im not betting on it.

Advertisement