Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France trip

Options
  • 05-07-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey everybody,

I need help/advice...whatever, I'm trying to organize a cycling trip in France for me and a few friends near the end of the summer (maybe for about 3weeks).

None of us have done anything like this before so, long story short, I'm looking for advice, no matter how basic it may seem. (Routes, gear,...anything)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You might find some useful information here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/france-cycling.html

Are you planning on camping or staying in hostels? Makes a big difference to the amount of gear you need to carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Hey everybody,

I need help/advice...whatever, I'm trying to organize a cycling trip in France for me and a few friends near the end of the summer (maybe for about 3weeks).

None of us have done anything like this before so, long story short, I'm looking for advice, no matter how basic it may seem. (Routes, gear,...anything)

Thanks

The Poitou Charente region is really good - it's relatively flat if you don't like hills. You can fly to La Rochelle direct from Dublin with Ryanair too. They'll carry bikes for about €45 return.

My advice is avoid the campsites and use the Logis de France guide. It's a network of smaller family run Inns and hotels (Auberges) all over France. All offer great rates (priced per room) and usually have a local fixed price menu. Their website is http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm

If you like the hills - you can't beat Basque country - you can fly direct to Biarritz on Ryanair too (O'Leary should have me on commission...)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Camping is a ton of fun although it does increase a bit the amount of stuff you have to carry. There is also an amount of putting up/tearing down of the tent which can take time (for me!) but the pros can do it very quickly.

Campsites in France can also be dirt cheap; the municipal ones are I believe government-subsidised. It's great to be able to sit outside in a nice campsite having your dinner with a bottle of wine.

Personally, if you do camp, I wouldn't bother with anything except the bare essentials, which for me are tent, sleeping bag, matress, two plates, two mugs, cutlery, corkscrew - e.g. no camp stove, etc. it is just _too much hassle_ and extra weight, and there is so much good cold food available.

I've camped for a three-month period across Spain on a bike and don't for one minute regret the decision!

Advertisement