Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Reciever

• 05-07-2006 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Noticed recently my reciever tends to get a little bit on what could be to hot. Cant understand why they didnt put a fan in there :confused:
    The amp in question is a Marantz SR5400, anyone else have one? Do they get hot? It's even hot to touch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have an SR4300 , but this seems fine, it depends upon what you mean by hot?
    The last thing that you want on an amp is a noisy fan , the heat can be disapated via heat sinks this is a better alternative and you will see most doing this , I used to have a pioneer in the car which used get very warm but this again was normal, possibly due to the use of mosfet amps. make sure that all the vents have good clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The amp is just sitting on a plank, nothing blocking the vents.

Its touching on being very warm to feel.

I taught about heatsinks the other nite as opposed to a fan. Wouldnt know where to power the fan of either, like with pc fans how little voltage can i put trough one to keep the noise to a minimum.

EDIT: would any heatsinks do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Im pretty sure an amp of that size would have heatsinks already installed inside.
    Most of these amps are manufactured to be installed in a rack with a min clearance of 1-1.5cm. So if you do not have it covered I wouldn't worry.

Have you cranked up the volume over the past few days?
    Also Im sure you have matched your speakers with the amp also, havn't you?

Ive checked my pioneer amp now and it is slightly warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I had a Sr5200 before which used to get hot if it was played loud over extended times. It even cut out once or twice. I have a feeling it might have been due to driving the front speakers in pure stereo mode for music. What speakers have you got attached?

Matched speakers?

I've a pair of gale 3040's and Missions M71's hooked up to it.

I mostly play music trough coax and have it set to multi chan stereo, for dvd's it automaticaly swithces.

It's quite hard to see clearly whats inside the cover but there are heatsinks in there. Would adding heatsinks to the casing help much if at all?

I taught you where to have X cm of clearance over the reciever, i think 10cm is listed in the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ah they say 10cm, but many install I have seen, they are covered with another component.

In relation to your speakers being matched, I mean that they are the right wattage and impedance for the amp to handle.
    Id say they are ok.

I think the amp can handle 100Watt per channel (dont have manual handy here) and both speakers are below 100Watt, the impendance for the amp and speaker are within the same range to.

Basically ive nothing to wory about then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

jozi wrote:
    I think the amp can handle 100Watt per channel (dont have manual handy here) and both speakers are below 100Watt, the impendance for the amp and speaker are within the same range to.

Basically ive nothing to wory about then :D

You have this the wrong way around jozi; the speakers should be a higher or at least equal wattage to the amp. If you're playing through these at high volume you're in danger of blowing the speakers.

It's probably ok to use either of these as rears in Dolby digital or DTS mode but you should definitely look into something bigger for your fronts. I don't know if you have a centre as you didn't mention it, but you should also get one rated at about 150W; it's a waste of a surround amp not to get one.

It's also possible that this could be a factor in the overheating. Driving small speakers with a large amp at low volumes puts as much strain on an amp as driving large ones with a small amp.

Just checking spec,
    Amp is 90W per chan
    Missions m71's - 25-75W recomended amp
    Gale's - 120W

So my missions are a few Watt less than the amp

I've no centres yet, this setup is a work in progress and because i started college last year i had to save money and not get centre's :( or a sub

Advertisement