Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crystal Skull

• 05-07-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

You know in episodes where people are out of phase with reality, like in Crystal Skull on SG-1, or that episode where Geordi LaForge and Ensign Ro were phased on TNG? How come they don't fall through the floor, and straight through Earth? If they're able to walk throuh doors, I can't fathom how floors can hold them up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Because it wouldn't make for a good story if the person just fell away into nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

but it would be really funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah.. just see daniel falling down through the planet.. out the other side up into the sky.. and then being pulled straight back down and up again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Umm have you not seen "Wormhole X-Treme!" (Ep 100 of SG1)? In it, one of the actors on "Wormhole X-Treme!" goes up to the writer (who knows of SG1) and demands to know why her character doesn't fall through the floor when she's in a different phase. The writers are flummoxed and tell the actor they'll get back to her later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

ixoy wrote:
    Umm have you not seen "Wormhole X-Treme!" (Ep 100 of SG1)? In it, one of the actors on "Wormhole X-Treme!" goes up to the writer (who knows of SG1) and demands to know why her character doesn't fall through the floor when she's in a different phase. The writers are flummoxed and tell the actor they'll get back to her later...

PMSL, I missed that. I'll have to watch for it the next time! And we're all presuming that there's out of phase oxygen present in the Atmosphere too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

well they are in another dimesion

so they are still on the same planet with all the same things

now to get to the other dimesion some sort of technoligy would be needed to do that

whatever thing is used the make must have been smart to make sure that they did not fall through the ground and put something to prevent it

in season eight they used merlins thing that made them out of phase
    but did not fall through the ground

why the answer is
    1. they can walk on the ground because it is a level of gravity

see gravity will keep pulling you unless there is something that is hlding you up and maybe the same thing can hold someone out of phase
    gravity can tell if there is something holding someone up
    so there must be a fail safe in the technoligy that shows where gravity is high active to another floor

that is my guess how

and it would be funny
    'oh we are out of phase WEEEEEEEEEE(oh look earths core) and we are stuck here forever'
    someone brings them back into phase somehow
    and they are dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Or a simpler explaination would be that gravity can't exert any force on them since they are out of phase relative to the gravitons (theoretical particles).
    Then the real whopper of a question is how the heck are they able to walk about, hello, out of phase, no traction with molecules in the rest of the world?!!?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Another question. If they go out of phase on a starship, and the starship flies off, should they not get left behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

well they are still relative to the gravity forces as anyone else

the gravity will only pull them down not towards the walls so they will not get pulled out of the ship

the ship has artifital gravity so they will stay to the ground on the ship

so wont fall out or something unless they jump through the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I was thinking the same thing about falling through the floor, and the I remembered that episdoe with "Wormhole Xtreme" in it. It could be possible that certain objects in that "out of phase" universe correlate to ones in our own. I believe there was also another episode (one of the ones with Jonas Quinn in it), that has something similar. Jonas touches an alien device and he starts seeing bugs. It turns out the bugs are in an out of phase universe but that device allows them to see the bugs. When asking about how it seemed that some bugs seemed to land on things in our universe, the reply was that some things in this universe may correlate to things in other universes, most notably, planets. Sorry, thats a lot of nerd speak :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

To hell with phasing and its inherent fallacies, what I want to know is when the hell are Quetzalcoatl and the other giant aliens going to come back and start kicking asses?

The Gnome wrote:
    To hell with phasing and its inherent fallacies, what I want to know is when the hell are Quetzalcoatl and the other giant aliens going to come back and start kicking asses?
    Did the grandfather ever reappear?
    Well done on spelling the aliens name right.

I was thinking that aswll. Watching the reruns every day on sky, you see all these different aliens that are only in one episode, but then you start thinking if they will come back for the new series. Could we use the quantum mirror to see if any other realities defeated the ori?

delta36 wrote:
    I was thinking that aswll. Watching the reruns every day on sky, you see all these different aliens that are only in one episode, but then you start thinking if they will come back for the new series. Could we use the quantum mirror to see if any other realities defeated the ori?
    Didn't Hammod order it destroyed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Did the grandfather ever reappear?
    Well done on spelling the aliens name right.

I don't think so. He was meant to wasn't he after the exchange of knowledge? The Goa'uld were still big back then and the DID say "The enemy of my Enemy is my Friend"....

Regarding Quetzalcoatl, I have a bizarre obsession with him and all related things.. less said the better ;)

Anyway there are several alien races that would be useful had they ben heard from again. That said there's rumours we may get to see a Furling soon...

Finally as a brief aside, I wonder if the Mirror was destroyed does that meant our reality is no longer accessible to other users.... Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Didn't Hammod order it destroyed?

Thats right - he ordered it destroyed at the beginning of the episode where SG-1 go with Dr. Carter and Kawalski (sp?) back to their reality to defeat the Gou'ld, AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm sure there'll be more such stories, we did have Ripple Effect in season 9.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sam asks her Tolen bud why then don't fall through floors when using their phase things, he just says it is complicated. :)

I thought they caused the object they were walking through to go out of phase, not themselves.

Advertisement