Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable options

• 06-07-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks back I posted the ‘Romance of Vinyl’ thread about ‘rediscovering’ my old 1000+ LP collection over a particularly quite weekend.

Now, here’s the thing, and I think it’s a classic hi-fi’ers dilemma.

I initially started looking at buying a Linn Sondek turntable from Dub-Linn HiFi. Total cost including photo-preamp? About 5K.

…or I could buy a cheap and cheerful Project Turntable, including arm, cartridge, etc, for about €700.

The problem is that if I go down the Linn route, I’m probably looking at upgrading my amp too, and my cables, and my interconnects!

I really don’t want to become a hi-fi junkie! Would I actually hear €4.5K’s worth of difference between a €5K Linn-Sondek setup and a €800 Project through my existing amp and speakers?

Advertisement