Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network problem

Options
  • 06-07-2006 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is not a duplicate request, but I am having a big problem with my home network.

Basically laptop and desktop linked through router and home network setup with XP.

Both PCs show up in the workgroup computers list on eachother's My Network Places.

The Desktop can access the laptop, but the laptop is 'Denied Access' to the desktop.

I can use Synergy, the KVM sharing program perfectly between them, so they seem to be connected properly. I have the same shared folders on both, and I just cannot see why it's not working.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

One is XP Home the other is XP Pro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

jetsonx wrote:
    One is XP Home the other is XP Pro ?
    Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Ro-76 wrote:
    The Desktop can access the laptop, but the laptop is 'Denied Access' to the desktop.
    'Denied Access' is a username/password problem.

Do you know what username/password you're logged in with on the desktop?

Open a command prompt and type

NET USE * \\<laptop>\<sharename> * /username:<desktopusername>

where <laptop>, <sharename> and <desktopusername> are replaced with the appropriate names and addresses. You should be prompted for the password used on the desktop, and should be able to connect properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Make sure they are part of the same Workgroup and then make sure each device has the same username and password in its local users. Also, it might be worth disabling that riduculos "Simple file sharing" that XP insists on using -> Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View > Scoll to the very end and remove the tick.

Also, by default, XP will not allow shares be accessed when the users account has a blank password. If this is the case you can edit the local security policy to allow this. Might be easier to just add a password on both boxes for the same user.

And obviously, make sure the File/folders security allows that particular users connect to it!

Thanks for the help guys, but still getting the error. when I try the DOS commend, this is what happens:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ronan>NET USE * \\Vaios380\Homedesktop * /username:ronan

The option /USERNAME:ronan is unknown.

The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
    [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
    [/USER:[domainname\]username]
    [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
    [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
    [/SMARTCARD]
    [/SAVECRED]
    [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3506.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ronan>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Ro-76 wrote:
    Thanks for the help guys, but still getting the error. when I try the DOS commend, this is what happens:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ronan>NET USE * \\Vaios380\Homedesktop * /username:ronan

The option /USERNAME:ronan is unknown.
    Is there a useraccount called Ronan on the Desktop? If there is, what workgroup is the ldesktop in? (open a dos prompt on the laptop and the desktop and type SET USER). If the USERDOMAIN is not the same on both machines, then change the NET USE command to specify the desktops domain:

NET USE * \\Vaios380\Homedesktop * /username:<userdomain>\ronan

(add /pers:yes if you want Windows to remember this drive mapping between reboots).

It woud be better, as azzeretti suggested, to change them both to use the same workgroup, though.

Foxwood wrote:
    Is there a useraccount called Ronan on the Desktop? If there is, what workgroup is the ldesktop in? (open a dos prompt on the laptop and the desktop and type SET USER). If the USERDOMAIN is not the same on both machines, then change the NET USE command to specify the desktops domain:

NET USE * \\Vaios380\Homedesktop * /username:<userdomain>\ronan

(add /pers:yes if you want Windows to remember this drive mapping between reboots).

It woud be better, as azzeretti suggested, to change them both to use the same workgroup, though.

Thanks again for all this help. Both computers are on the same workgroup 'HOME'. When I click 'show workgroup computers' on each machine, the other one shows up on the list. The usernames are a little different, though. The HOMEDESKTOP username is 'Ronan' and the VaioS380 username is 'Ronan Ryan'.

I tried the new string but still get a syntax error. I'm running it on the desktop. Is this correct? I did actually have these 2 communicating perfectly previously, but recently reinstalled Windows on the Desktop, and sine then I have the problem.

Thanks again,

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

the option is /USER and not /username as suggested

Try:
    NET USE * \\Vaios380\Homedesktop * /user:ronan

If the username is "Ronan Ryan" you may need to try
    NET USE * \\Vaios380\Homedesktop * /user:"Ronan Ryan"

-RikD.

IT'S WORKING!!!

Thanks again!