Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boi wont give me a cirrus atm card

Options
  • 06-07-2006 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

i opened a student account with bank of ireland when i was in secondary school, they gave me an excel atm card when i opened the account. i've probably had the atm card four or five years by now. i still use this excel student account as my main bank account, i even have a credit card on this account.

needless to say my atm card doesnt work abroad because its old, my friend told me to ask them to update my atm card to a cirrus card. when i asked them to update my atm card to a cirrus card they refused and said i need to get a letter from my college before they can do it. this sounded like such bullsh*t that i asked why and was told i just do, i was a bit pissed off considering how much i had in the account and how often my credit card is used, and paid promptly.

this was the straw that broke the camels back, so i transferred 99% of my money to another bank. surely its just a case of asking for a cirrus card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

That sounds odd. I take it you are still in college then if you are using the account. What kind of a letter? I assume something to show you are still a student or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

yeah, they wanted a letter basically saying i attend the college and the name of the course. it sounds like utter bullsh*t to me, and i'm not going to go especially to the college in the middle of summer asking for a stupid letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine it's to "upgrade" your account from a secondary school student account to a third level student one. Might be worth your while, as third-level student accounts sometimes tend to have perks attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Tell em to stick their account and say your leaving them for someone else. Hah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

wait until september, then open a new student account with whatever bank gives you the best gifts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I have found BOI pretty ****ty when looking for new services.

I once had my laser card sucked up by an Ulster Bank ATM in Rathmines, when the replacement card came, it was only an ATM with no laser facility. I had great difficulty in getting a replacement with both facilities, even though it was what I already had.

That said, a friend of mine was also refused a laser card by AIB on her current account, also they wouldn't give her a chequebook.

That said, long since closed down my relationships with both of the above banks.

Advertisement