Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Repeat Exam thread

Options
  • 06-07-2006 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

I felt us 'special people' were deserving of a thread. So who here on this forum is facing an interruption of their summer plans so they can write 3 hour exams next month?

/Raises hand

Anyone else? On another note if anyone knows the answer to the following questions on repeats I'd appreciate it:

1. What date and in which location do the repeat examinations take place?

2. In the event of failing a repeat exam, what does it cost to repeat the year?

I've put these queries to UCD's exam department but they've yet to respond. I guess they're pretty busy right now.

Also anyone here who has done repeat exams before in the past can feel free to share their experiences and let the rest of us know what to expect. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Best of luck in the repeats now people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yeah best of luck! I was a whisker away from joining ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Here's a thread from last year. I don't think things will be too different (I'm sure the exams people will get back to you pretty soon anyway to confirm)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=276291
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=252980

I repeated history last year and honestly guys its not that bad. Only one of my papers was harder than during the summer, the rest actually seemed to be slightly easier.

The worst thing about the repeats is that they do hang over you during the summer. But doing the repeats themselves isn't that bad. Put in a few weeks study and you'll do fine.

As for the cost of repeating the year...I have no idea to be honest. Sorry.

edit: link should work now.....really odd that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Peacheh that don't lead to no repeats thread!

Good luck guys!!!

Repeating the year is like 4500 euro its a lot of dosh thats to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dunno date but i think its in Blackrock?

As for cost of repeating the year, in Modularised 1st year: its the number of modules you have to retake (say 2 for example) as a % of the amunt you did (say 12). Therefore 2 out of 12 is 1/6 so its one sixth of the price.
    1st year science was €6000 this year and 1st year Arts was about €4300.
    Do the math (that fee was including capitation fee btw or whatever its called).

Ive no idea how it works for non-modularised years or if you enter a year that is now moduralised and wasnt before (ie 2nd yrs who have to repeat).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Repeats are in Blackrock. Quite a long haul if you have to do more than a couple of exams... I repeated 10 exams in 2004.
    Repeat fees for non-modularised years are worked out in a similar way to the modularised ones, if you had 3 subjects (using 2nd science as an example), and were repeating one of them, then you'd have to pay the registration fee plus 1/3 of (total fees - registration fee). But you don't want to have to repeat the year, paying fees is horrible. And I've got to pay full fees next year, because I've done *a* 3rd year before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Here's a thread from last year. I don't think things will be too different (I'm sure the exams people will get back to you pretty soon anyway to confirm)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27629.
    Web Moo news? No-one here is repeating ag.

Peachy is there still a failure rate in 1st Arts of 40%-50%? All because of the new system of continuous assessment.I didn't have a problem with it, I liked doing the essays just didn't like the deadlines set thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

actually yeah, has anyone found the failure rate among firsties this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

It varies between subjects. No idea what the lowest one is, but one of the highest if not the highest is in Politics (*points at MNG* What he's doing) and that was about 45% in 2005.

Anyway, yeah I've done the repeats in 1st and 2nd yr, they're really no biggie. They tend to mark easier and/or you get more study done in the library cos the place is practically fúckin deserted compared to prior to the Summer exams. You should be fine MNG.

Actually, if ya need notes n the like or any tips, feel free to PM me and I'll rummage around my filing cabinet (i.e. rubbish bin) and fish out some helpful notes/essays/stuff.

There's no repeats for me in 2nd year, cos of Xmas and Summer exams and so I have to make sure I as least pass or get a C.

So I have to make sure I pass Democratic Theory in the 2nd semester everyone has said that course is to be mortally feared likes of SebTheBum, MNG, Paddy C. and other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Heh, yeah... I got 5% in that - in the Autumn repeats! - and somehow still managed to pass 2nd yr Politics overall.

I have led a somewhat charmed life...:D

SebtheBum wrote:
    Heh, yeah... I got 5% in that - in the Autumn repeats! - and somehow still managed to pass 2nd yr Politics overall.

I have led a somewhat charmed life...:D

5% Wow what did you do write your name!! Ah its a hard module isn't it.I'm defnitely keeping my eye on that one.

D'oh....no idea what hapened with that link. Odd.

Anyway it should work now.

That link is fine I saw it jaysus everyone there was panicking and moaning jesus thats pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Holy sh*t. I can't see myself repeating the year if it costs thousands of euros.

MNG you should just focus on the repeats for now. I honestly reckon you'll be fine. With history last year I did fúck all work during the year, completely blanked on one of my papers and still managed to bring my grade up 15% to get a 2.2 in the repeats.

There's no point in stressing about repeating the year until you see how the August exams go first. If you go in with a pessimistic attitude you'll be doing yourself no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

over 60% percent had my class had repeats last year - 50% of us failed experimental physics alone.

The trick is not to freak out too much i had a few panic attacks and that seemed to help - don't give up all your summer though - i just worked and studied and, well, to be honest a lot of things went downhill as a result - not much to do about it now but have fun too just keep ticking over with the work and it'll be fine.

Also get grinds if you think you need them. Best investment i made last year - got 4 and they set up me up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

D'oh....no idea what hapened with that link. Odd.

Anyway it should work now.

You forgot one number on the end of the link, so it brought us to a really old thread instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Don't get so freaked out that you decide the best thing to do would be do no work and pretend its not happening. I did that would english last year and i nearly killed myself from stress and last minute freaking out. Try not to get bogged down in thinking about having to repeat the year (although its hard not to think about it) cos its really not worth it. You just get more worked up and stressed.

I got notes from people in my class *thanks kate* and that helped lots.
    Eh so really do start now and you'll save yourself a cardiac arrest later on, oh and i did think it was easier then the summer one but possibly cos i knew more for autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It says on the exam website they start on the 8th August and up to the 20th.So you have a whole month to get your head down and ace your exams:) .
    The repeats are always in blackrock.As the queen of summer repeats (every year since 2001:o ) I like the atmosphere in Blackrock.Theres a lovely library to study in before the exams and its much much smaller then the rds so you dont get millions of sweaty,stressed out people packed like sardines into a big warehouse type exam hall.
    2. In the event of failing a repeat exam, what does it cost to repeat the year?

Positive mental attitude mng. Dont think about repeating the year,u have loadsa time to study and will be fine. Saying that it depends on how many subjects you have to repeat in the year and wether you want to repeat the year externally or internally (i.e go to the lectures again or just sit the exams)

Also anyone here who has done repeat exams before in the past can feel free to share their experiences and let the rest of us know what to expect. :o

Generally I find the examiners really do want to pass you in the august repeats.That doesnt mean they will make the paper easier but when marking the paper they may be a bit more lenient.

Also,the department in the subjects that you have failed just want to see that your intrested and willing to put a bit of effort in.Therefore I think it vital to set up a meeting the lecturer of the exams you failed. Last year I made sure I went into see them and had essays done out and asked them to look through them to see if i was getting all the facts in.They will be delighted to see you comming in and there all around for the summer and at the end of the day they'll be marking your paper so it can only help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Made it all through UCD without having to repeat anything.

/sits backing looking smug

wether you want to repeat the year externally or internally
    Theres no longer any external repeats with the modular system. Also apprently if u fail a core subject you still move onto second year but you just won't move onto the 2nd yr course of that module or something.

ie if i fail SEP1, ill still move onto 2nd year for my other subjects but ill be redoing sep1 in 2nd yr, then sep2 in 3rd yr, sep3 in 4th yr and sep4 when i have finsihed all my other modules (least thats the way i understand it now).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well there's a repeat project up for SEP for 1st-3rd years now... and it doesn't look too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Theres no longer any external repeats with the modular system. Also apprently if u fail a core subject you still move onto second year but you just won't move onto the 2nd yr course of that module or something.

ie if i fail SEP1, ill still move onto 2nd year for my other subjects but ill be redoing sep1 in 2nd yr, then sep2 in 3rd yr, sep3 in 4th yr and sep4 when i have finsihed all my other modules (least thats the way i understand it now).

Next year can you not take SEP1 before christmas and then SEP2 after christmas? then you would be caught up right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Surely you're obliged to take the module the next time it's on offer to people who aren't repeating? So, if SEP1 and SEP2 both happen to be on offer next Christmas and you need to resit both, they'll both be yours for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Surely you wouldn't do both at the same time? You'd be going to a more advanced level without having passed the lower one, it maketh no sense...to me anyway.

dont think they offer sep1 before xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tywy wrote:
    Next year can you not take SEP1 before christmas and then SEP2 after christmas? then you would be caught up right?

SEP1 is in the 2nd semester unfortunately

Advertisement