Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electriian price.

Options
  • 06-07-2006 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I recently had some electrical work done on a twq bed semi and it seems a bit pricey can anybody shed some light on the cost to supply and fitting the following?
    6x double sockets. (plastic) two to be wired ,four as replacements
    1x cooker switch (plastic)
    2x light switches plus re-wiring of same (plastic) probably wired back to the board
    1x fuse board to be moved ( about 6 ft down a wall)
    I was givin a bill of about €1200 inc vat but with no details on it.
    Is this the norm? and does the price sound right?
    Iwasnt on site all the time but I believe he was on and off site quite randomly ( it seemed to take longer than I expected)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

6x double sockets : Did they have to be wired or were they just replacing old ones? What type are they? ie. brass, stainless, plastic

1x cooker switch: What type are they? ie. brass, stainless, plastic

2x light switches plus re-wiring of same: What type are they? Did he have to re-wire the full circuit back to the fuse board? ie. brass, stainless, plastic

1x fuse board to be moved ( about 6 ft down a wall): There could have been a good deal of work involved in this. What size is your house? 3 bed semi, 4 bed bungalow...??
    freewing wrote:
    I was givin a bill of about €1200 inc vat but with no details on it.
    Is this the norm? and does the price sound right?

How long was he on the job for?

TBH, it doesn't sound too far off the mark, but more details would help. Also, I'm out of that game a fair few years now so it's only my opinion....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree with sparks, does not sound like great value, but then again moving a board can take some time. I guess you'd also have to ask yourself why was there no quote for the works first. Then if it took longer then expected then that was his business. However you asked a question, so yes it does sound highish, on the positive side learn from it and get all work quoted for first.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Had a fuse board to be moved last year and that cost me 300 euros alone including vat and labour if this is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

I had originally reckoned on about €600 or thereabout for the work ,sparks wouldnt give me a quote but he was recommended by a builder who used him before.I get the distinct feeling that I am being stung just because I dont know enough about electrical work. Imight have to put it down to expierience and let karmha sort it out . thanks for your input anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I still say it sounds about right, but without more details..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement