Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane Smoking

• 06-07-2006 9:26am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one see the picture of Zidane smoking in the Indo sports section.

I would've of thought that in this day and age soccer players at the highest level wouldnt be smoking any more.

Is there many soccer players doing it these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Here the proof.

I can't believe He gets paid a ridiculous amout of money AND he smokes.

Boggles the mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Henrik Larsson used to smoke, I'm not sure if he still does. If I remember correctly Jose Mourinho that there's about 5 Chelsea players that smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I think Barthez does as well, maybe its a french thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I have to say i was fairly shocked to see it. I didnt really think a smoker would be able to perform at that level.
    I suppose the training is so intense and constant for a footballer that they're lung capacity wouldnt diminish as quickly as a normal smoker.

I heard a rumour from the United YTS scheme a few years ago that Beckham smoked in his teens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you could under stand in their teams cause they probably think they are cool or what ever but surely as they grow older they know that smoking will limit their perfromance in some way!

Maybe Beckam still smokes and thats the really reason he was getting sick the whole time. Coughing a lung up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think Barthez does as well, maybe its a french thing.
    That's mad. I was gonna post that exact same sentence!!

I remember seeing pictures of him smoking when he was playing for Utd.
    Didn't think it was much of a big deal due to him being a keeper, but a midfielder of Zindane's quality? :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Ah that's nothing. Back in the old days when men were men and football was in black and white, all the players used to smoke.

Sir Geoff Hurst himself smoked 47 Woodbines during the 1966 World Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

BaZmO* wrote:
    Didn't think it was much of a big deal due to him being a keeper.

Barthez smokes the reefer, thats why his concentration is crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

ARE you all fucin crazy?
    He can smoke if he feels like it
    I think he's more than proved it has not affected his game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ah that's nothing. Back in the old days when men were men and football was in black and white, all the players used to smoke.

Sir Geoff Hurst himself smoked 47 Woodbines during the 1966 World Cup final.

Yeah but that was in the day when people thought smoking did no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Je**s you think he was shooting up by the way people are going on.

He was only having a fag, it does not effect your fitness by that much, in fact those guys train so much I would say there would be very little difference betwenn the fitness of a footballer who smokes and one who doesn't

Didi Hanmann is a chain smoker something like 40 a day.

Didi Hanmann is a chain smoker something like 40 a day.
    Is that why he hardly ever gets a full game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has Zidane only recently started to smoke, or did he always smoke?

If he's only started recently, then let him. He's more than proved his ability over the last few matches and he is retiring.

dudara wrote:
    Has Zidane only recently started to smoke, or did he always smoke?

If he's only started recently, then let him. He's more than proved his ability over the last few matches and he is retiring.

I was thinking the same thing when i first saw it. He's finsihed with football on sunday so he may as well do what he wants now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

As someone said above, Didi Hamann is/or was a fairly heavy smoker and it did him no harm

Barthez is a heavy smoker too, and Socrates famously smoked about 40 a day

Some people are just naturally fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

My respect for him has soared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

As someone said above, Didi Hamann is/or was a fairly heavy smoker and it did him no harm

Barthez is a heavy smoker too, and Socrates famously smoked about 40 a day

Some people are just naturally fit

He also quit Italian football becase they trained to hard
    He was a lazy bastard at times altough he is still semi playing now for a non league side in the north of england

He also quit Italian football becase they trained to hard
    He was a lazy bastard at times altough he is still semi playing now for a non league side in the north of england

the guy's my new hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I believe Ravenelli was big smoker too.

Don't know how they manage it though. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

the guy's my new hero

Nice to see someone has taken over the mantle from robbie doyle for you also what happened to the promised Flodymainia 2006 you predicted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I believe Ravenelli was big smoker too.

Don't know how they manage it though. Unreal.

Think Klinsmann and Vialli smoke too.

Nice to see someone has taken over the mantle from robbie doyle for you also what happened to the promised Flodymainia 2006 you predicted?

It's been posteponed until 2007 because McDonnell is a buffoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Cryuff was a well known chain smoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's one of the most successful myth's by the anti-smoking campaign that in order to be perfectly fit you can't smoke. Many top atheletes do smoke, cause they are addicted.

Also, smoking is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

It's one of the most successful myth's by the anti-smoking campaign that in order to be perfectly fit you can't smoke. Many top atheletes do smoke, cause they are addicted.
    Dont know about that man i smoke and i think youll always have to work that bit harder to even be just behind(in fitness) the rest of a group who dont. Having siad that though these guys train every day so im sure they d still be very fit, just not quite as fit.
    Cryuff was a well known chain smoker.
    He was notoriously lazy on cross country runs though and he did get lung cancer later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Crouch smokes, so does Didi Hamman.

Only off season or on days off though.

Mate of mine played golf with him once and he went through abour 20 smokes in 5 hours.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I'm sure it must greatly affect their lung capacity, imagine what they'd be like if they didn't in terms of greater fitness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Emmo wrote:
    Crouch smokes, so does Didi Hamman.

Only off season or on days off though.

Mate of mine played golf with him once and he went through abour 20 smokes in 5 hours.

Emmo

Crouch in the England team!! Didn't think someone that young as him would be that stupid.

Emmo wrote:
    Crouch smokes
    Well there goes the popular belief that smoking stunts your growth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So that's why I haven't been making it into the Irish side.

Twenty blue please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Absolute Legend!
    :)

So what if Zizou enjoys a crafty ciggie, a smoker will be playin in the WORLD CUP FINAL!!!!!!

For all u Anti smoking nazis out there....stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
    :p
    Plus> Darren Clarke regularly has a stoogie while playing golf on the European Tour.

Absolute Legend!
    :)

So what if Zizou enjoys a crafty ciggie, a smoker will be playin in the WORLD CUP FINAL!!!!!!

For all u Anti smoking nazis out there....stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
    :p
    Plus> Darren Clarke regularly has a stoogie while playing golf on the European Tour.

The word stoogie isn't used enough in relation to smoking these days

anymore closet footballing smokers out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is that why he hardly ever gets a full game?

Nope thats got to do with the fact that he is nearly 33 and he has Gerrard, Alonso and Sissako ahead of him in the pecking order and rightly so IMHO. AFAK Didi has always smoked and used to play the full 90 minutes for Liverpool, Newcastle etc when he was a bit younger.

When you are training that hard you would be very fit smoker or non smoker, its later in life that it will catch up with you with the big C.

Darren Clarke regularly has a stoogie while playing golf on the European Tour.

He complained at one stage that he could barely make it around the golf course because of his smoking, drinking and weight.

He then hired a fitness instructor who got him to cut down on the smokes and drink but I dont know whats done for his game. I dont follow golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well there are guys on my footie team that run and run and run for 90mins and light up at half time and as soon as the match is over. It aint that bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

john_dub wrote:
    He was notoriously lazy on cross country runs though and he did get lung cancer later on.

What have you been smoking? ;)

Cruyff used to be a heavy smoker until he had a heart-attack when he was the Barcelona coach. He then gave the fags up. His father had died young of a heart-attack, so his heart disease was probably hereditary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

For all you know he only ever has one smoke after every match. People who smoke don't have to have 20 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Boy 2: "Got any John Player?"
    Boy 1: "If you want!"
    Boy 2: "Marlboro.....Ugh!"
    Boy 1: "It's what Zinedine Zidane smokes."
    Boy 2: "Zinedine Zidane?"
    Boy 1: "Yeah, an' he says if I didn't smoke lots of Marlboro, when I grow up I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"
    Boy 2: "Accrington Stanley? ... Who are they??!"
    Boy 1: "Exactly!"
    Boy 2: "Gimmie some!"
    Boy 1: "Nah, gerroff!"

Pigman II wrote:
    Boy 2: "Got any John Player?"
    Boy 1: "If you want!"
    Boy 2: "Marlboro.....Ugh!"
    Boy 1: "It's what Zinedine Zidane smokes."
    Boy 2: "Zinedine Zidane?"
    Boy 1: "Yeah, an' he says if I didn't smoke lots of Marlboro, when I grow up I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"
    Boy 2: "Accrington Stanley? ... Who are they??!"
    Boy 1: "Exactly!"
    Boy 1: "Nah, gerroff!"

If only I had've know this when I was younger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Some people can get away with it . Carlos Monzon the great middleweight boxing champion in the 70's smoked 60 a day and reigned supreme in his division for years . He was known for his great stamina and is considered a top 3 all time great middleweight .

But in general I would say it isn't very advisable for a professional footballer to smoke .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I know a guy on my Gaelic team who smokes before the match, at half time and after matches. He plays two matches some days when we are short of a "B" team player and he plays soccer too. That means that he could play 3 matches in one weekend, not to mention training twice a week for the gaelic team.

I honestly don't know how he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

What have you been smoking?

Cruyff used to be a heavy smoker until he had a heart-attack when he was the Barcelona coach. He then gave the fags up. His father had died young of a heart-attack, so his heart disease was probably hereditary
    Apologies your right, was sure it was lung cancer till i checked it out there. He must have seen some link though as he took part in a dutch anti smoking campaign, the add where he flicks up the pack of smokes, solos it and kicks it into the bin, been on tarrant on tv a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fairplay to Zinedine :) Of course he smokes though, hes french, all french people smoke :)

Can anyone spot the smokers from the non-smokers in this thread ? :)

Advertisement