Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservatory

Options
  • 06-07-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Do you think it would be possible to get a conservatory approx 3m X 2m built for around 5000 !! Not a DIY job, but done professionally? Or would I be better buying a DIY conservatory and getting someone to install

Has anyone got experience in this? Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What material, and what element of the build would you be able to do yourself.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Dont know much about building one of these so most likely the whole lot would need to be built by someone else.

Materials - good quality cheap.

A pro that knows where to source cheap materials , would be hard pressed to build that for 5k.

The most expensive single item , would probably be the roof glass, assumimg its glass. Perimeter windows , and a door unit, pvc or timber, even a cncelled order would run to 2-3k.

Band Q conserveratory kits, using polycarbonate instead of glass, is an option. But it would be regarde as a cheap solution. Might be worth a look

kadman

I see the likes of homebase and other providers sell DIY kits, the cheapest I've seen is about 2,500 ! So how much would a builder cost to do this?

I wouldnt mind giving it a go but Ive never done anything like this, id be afraid Id make a bags of it and would cost more money to fix.

Well the homebase, bnq kits come with a set of installation notes. Check em out and if you feel comfortable about it, at the very least get some practical instruction, from a construction worker . Its not too difficult to install the simple kits. But if you think it will look as good as a professional build , think again.

As you say yourself , its easy to feck it up, and more expensive to fix. Its well worth paying a pro for at least a couple days guidance.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

had a lean to type conservatory build pretty similar to your dimensions last year for €9k, this included a new front door and argon filled glass, glass roof, uPVC, dwarf wall, some plastering, bit of electrical and all construction/installation, 6 weeks from foundation to completion, midlands, all I had to do was paint/tile - mental note, must post pics and complete thread from last year.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Why do things always cost about twice what you expect is a reasonable price ??? Thats is alot of money, I wonder would the DIY route be any cheaper?

Advertisement