Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to check brake fluid level?

Options
  • 06-07-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

How can I check if the brake fluid level is ok? Its a peugeot 206.

Sorry if this seems a silly question but I've no idea. :o

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your manual should have this.
    The reservior is towards the back of the engine and has min and max marks. The fluid should be between these levels.
    if you look at the pic below the reservior is at the very back to the left of the round green suspension tower and behind the battery.
    588218_7.jpg

edit: if you plan on topping up the fluid, then make sure it is of the correct grade - DOT 3 or DOT 4 (I presume DOT 3). I would honestly doubt if it is DOT 5 but whatever, do not mix DOT3 or 4 with 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Also don't be alarmed if the fluid is not right up to the max mark. The fluid level in the reservoir will naturally drop down a bit as the brake pads wear down. When checking the fluid try to do it without taking off the reservoir cap as when you remove the cap there is a risk of debris/grit falling into the fluid and the fluid will also absorb more moisture from the air. You should be able to see what level the fluid is at from the outside as the reservoir plastic will be semi transpranet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Here's the same thing on an MX5 - the caption is subtle but kinda helps :D

edited - email me if you want the pic, or look here: http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/MX5brakes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

could you not find a bigger picture franksm? :D
    Just to avoid confusion, the Pugs BF reservior is more square shaped than round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

you're right... I ftp'd a smaller copy up to the site, but it's still displaying the H-U-G-E version on the http side. Ah, ferget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

ya its in the top right corner as you look at the engine bay from above. white/transparent container next to the strut top. it will have dot 3 or 4 fluid written on the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Thats great! Thanks everyone for the pics and information I found it no probs with all your advice.

It seems to be grand. The reason I was asking is cos the hand brake light comes on occasionally whilst driving and was wondering why. Thought it may be the brake fluid. But another fella I asked about this said that apparently this is a common malfunction in Peugeots.

Cheers again for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

rsta wrote:
    Thats great! Thanks everyone for the pics and information I found it no probs with all your advice.

It seems to be grand. The reason I was asking is cos the hand brake light comes on occasionally whilst driving and was wondering why. Thought it may be the brake fluid. But another fella I asked about this said that apparently this is a common malfunction in Peugeots.

Cheers again for the advice :)

Happened me before on a car - case of brake pads being replaced or handbrake tightened. well thats what the garage told me!!! Minor job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sometimes the handbrake sensor is tripped as the lever does'nt sit as flat as it should.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

This happened to me several times, handbrake light coming on, always meant my pads needed changing. You should never have to top up brake fluid unless it's still low when you change pads, should be changed every 2 years or so,every year according to manufactorers, if it's low and you change your pads it will rise to the proper level again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

dubtom wrote:
    This happened to me several times, handbrake light coming on, always meant my pads needed changing. You should never have to top up brake fluid unless it's still low when you change pads, should be changed every 2 years or so,every year according to manufactorers, if it's low and you change your pads it will rise to the proper level again.

Good advice, however, on changing the pads, it is easier and more efficient to bleed the oil from the pistons when driving them back in to accept the new pads, than pushing it with all the accumulated debris back up into the master cylinder and pipes.
    Then, little extra is neded to flush the old stuff completely from the system, before topping off.

Advertisement