Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent entry level digital camera

Options
  • 06-07-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Sister wants a digital camera for her birthday. Want to buy her a no frills entry level one (i.e. cheap!) but with decent image quality and above all easy to use. just a point and click with maybe at bit of optical zoom.
    Any recommendations? Think i might have left it too late to buy online as she's going on holidays nest week and needs it for then so i'll have to buy in dublin city centre.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Camera are so much more expensive here unfortunately. Most point and shoots are pretty similar nowadays. anythng above 5 million pixels should be good - just watch out for image noise which can plague some cameras. Point the camera at something thats uniform colour and zoom in on the image preview and you'll see what I mean by noise. Also a lot of P&S cameras come with proprietary li-ion batteries that you have to pay thru the nose to replace if they fail. get a camera that can take standard AA and use high capacity NiMH rechargables (the great thing abut this is that if your batteries run dry you can just pop in some duracels). Another additional cost will be a memory card which are also cheaper online or maybe even argos. I recommend something like the nikon coolpix 5600. Can use AAs, 5MP, does suffer from noise but has noise reduction options built in and is piss easy to use. I think they're replacing them with 7MP models so maybe you can get one cheap...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Both of these are in town:
    http://www.cameracentre.ie/
    http://www.pixels.ie/

Can check thing out on the web, look at prices & reviews and then pop into town.

Prices aren't that much more than online, plus it's nice to be able to hold the camera before you buy it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yeah as above, always try out the camera first, reviews arent as good as your own eyes. stick to big names is your safest bet tbh, canon/nikon/olympus/pentax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

• Advertisement
Advertisement