Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying a Car

Options
  • 06-07-2006 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of geting a Toyota Celica 95-97 year for around 7k. Thing is I I'll be driving roughly 50 motorway miles each day round trip and that could bury a deep hole in my pocket for juice. I'm not sure thou, does anybody have one of these cars that can give me an idea of the mileage?

I was also thinking of a diesel car but is there anything like a celica thats diesel for the price range I'm thinking of spending? Golf TDI is the only car I can think of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

BMW 530d but out of your range there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

keith123 wrote:
    I was also thinking of a diesel car but is there anything like a celica thats diesel for the price range I'm thinking of spending? Golf TDI is the only car I can think of.

Pug 205 XRAD Van :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

lovely - I could car pool in this too! If only there was a car pool lane :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=454725

Nice Passat, low milage, great on diesel, only thing at 100k will have to put in timing belt which in a VW garage costs about 1k but I get my mate to do for a couple of hundred. I would look past this and the comfortline so nice and comfy

Dont want to buy a car I'd have to put money into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You will get better value in a *Skoda Octavia*, and the same engine, which is probably the best diesel one you will get for the budget.

The current crop of diesels with a decent turn of speed really only came on the scene from 2001 onwards. Maybe you should stick with a petrol for a few more years until you have a bigger budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I sold a 00 Seat Toledo TDI recently for €6,400. It had 64,000 miles and was in excellent condition, but it was due a timing belt.

maidhc wrote:
    You will get better value in a *Skoda Octavia*, and the same engine, which is probably the best diesel one you will get for the budget.

The current crop of diesels with a decent turn of speed really only came on the scene from 2001 onwards. Maybe you should stick with a petrol for a few more years until you have a bigger budget?

"But it's still a Skoda!!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

keith123 wrote:
    "But it's still a Skoda!!" :)

Actually, it's a VW.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

keith123 wrote:
    Dont want to buy a car I'd have to put money into.

Best not buy a car at all then!

Think of it as a bargaining chip :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement