Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Options
  • 06-07-2006 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously thinking about getting a CKC. Im 28 and have never owned a dog before. I've been researching different breeds etc and also how to train and look after a dog.
    I'd like to know more about the CKC from ye guys if possible. A few questions spring to mind, like, do they have doggy odour? Are they easy to train/obedience train? Are they prone to sickness regularly? Would they be okay if left for 3/4 hours alone per day?

I want to make sure that this is the right dog for me before I commit myself to getting one.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Everything you want to know.............

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'm seriously thinking about getting a CKC. Im 28 and have never owned a dog before. I've been researching different breeds etc and also how to train and look after a dog.
    I'd like to know more about the CKC from ye guys if possible. A few questions spring to mind, like, do they have doggy odour? Are they easy to train/obedience train? Are they prone to sickness regularly? Would they be okay if left for 3/4 hours alone per day?

I want to make sure that this is the right dog for me before I commit myself to getting one.

Thanks in advance.

I have two myself. Fantastic dogs, very loving and affectionate and a great dog to have if you have kids.

Sometimes they can be prone to ear problems but if you care for it well enough they should be very minimal. I think its a great breed to get as a first dog.

What exactly do you mean by doggy odour? All dogs have a smell like all humans have a smell, I have four dogs and they all smell differently!

TBH I wouldn't leave a puppy alone for longer than 3 hrs. My two are 10 and 7 so they are fine to be left, they lie down and sleep for the morning till my Mam comes home at lunch then after lunch they will sleep again till dinner time LOL

If your leaving the dog on its own so young I would say to you that puppies tend to fret and get easily bored so prepare to have your wood furniture chewed and lino ripped up!!

I'd suggest taking a couple of weeks off with the dog and training it into a routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would suggest getting 2 dogs as they will be company for each other whilst you are out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Bond-007 wrote:
    I would suggest getting 2 dogs as they will be company for each other whilst you are out of the house.

Brilliant suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd be very careful as to where you get your dog. As a result of their popularity inbreeding is a serious problem and the result is serious health issues. I'm on my fourth Blue roan cocker spaniel and I have to say they are fabulous dogs, great pets, easy to train, extremely loyal, great with kids and great fun. I got mine from a breeder in Limerick who is the main man for the Irish branch of the Cocker Spaniel club of Ireland. I can get you a number for him if you consider getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Bond-007 wrote:

Exactly, we had one that was like a banshee as soon as u were even in the next room, soon as she now has company shes fine! :)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

2 dogs is deffo better than one - BUT please get one first - let it settle in for a few weeks and then consider a 2nd.
    You may encounter any sort of problems with training etc and beleive me it's easier to deal with one dog at a time than 2. With 2 they are going to the wee / poo at different times and it really does become very time comsuming.
    2 puppies / 2 dogs are very hard to try to train at once, and also you run the risk of the dogs being waaaaay more interested in each other and bonding together in a new situation rather than bonding with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey, I got my cav from this lady http://www.cute-pups.com/ , she has great set up out there. She brought me in to see Teddy (my cav) with his Mum and the place was spotless. I couldnt recomend her more. She will even give you a complete genology (sic) of the pups heritage in case you decide to breed or to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

i do agree cavaliers are great dogs to get for first timers and also with kids but they can have quiet a few problems, as they get older, ie heart/eyes and as above ears also it is my experience that some... not all but i would says majority would need to have the anal glands expressed on a regular basis....

i would suggest that you might go for a cross breed dog, rescue a puppy or something, as said there is alot of over breedin with cavies and we dont need more purebreeds when we have an over population of crosses, and also crosses are much much healthier!!!!! i rescued 10 pups that were left into my vet to be pts and if anyone is interested they will be ready in 7 weeks!!!!

they are adorable and the mother is wonderful... wont even go into what they are cuz i have not clue looks like some kinda of collie/shepard/cross breed cross but they are so cute. really need ppls help cuz i told my boss i would take responsibility for rehoming them..... ppl might think better off being pts but i just couldnt do it!!!!!!

Advertisement