Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcard - does it save on fuel costs?

Options
  • 06-07-2006 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use Motorcard to pay for their fuel?

Does it save?
    Do you need to use a lot of fuel to make it save?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I use one... generally I fill up with about 55 litres every two weeks. The fuelcard rate is normally about 2 cents per litre cheaper than all the local petrol stations (Kilkenny), although I see its only about 0.5c/litre cheaper this week :/. Pretty much every petrol station in Kilkenny is charging 116.9 for petrol at the moment. The motorcard is 116.4. It was about 114.9 2 weeks ago.

You can't lose out anyways - you get charged whichever rate is cheapest on the day - if the pump price is lower than the fuel card price, you pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I've had this one with about 2 months.
    Its free so you save every fill. I don't do a lot of milage, but I save 4/5 euros on a fill in limerick.
    Last fill was 112.2 per ltr and it was 119.9 on the pumps!
    Definetly reccomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I presume you pay the usual government duty on the card?

sounds like a good idea.

Is there any downside I'm not seeing here?

AlanD wrote:
    I presume you pay the usual government duty on the card?

sounds like a good idea.

Is there any downside I'm not seeing here?

No, no government duty as far as I know.
    I haven't spotted a downside yet, although if someone knows of one please let me know.
    Like I said, I've only had it 2 months but its worked a treat, no problem with accepting it anyplace I tried either,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It sounds like a great idea. Might investigate it further once I'm doing more mileage. Pity it's only just statoils.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote:
    It sounds like a great idea. Might investigate it further once I'm doing more mileage. Pity it's only just statoils.

I do very little mileage, about 1 fill every month, still worth having, better off having that money in my pocket.
    Ya, its a pity its just Statoil, but they send you out a list of all the Statoil stations in the country when you get the card. Its pretty easy to time it so that you fill at one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Is there any costs involved in this at all then.

No government duty.
    No interest charge.
    No admin fees.

Whats the catch??

Sounds like a great idea by the way.

All fuel companies do these type of schemes for business's, just seams that some enterprising individual has convinced Statoil that it would be worthwhile to offer it to the public too. It definitely drums up more business for them I'd say. But as stated there doesn't seam to be any catch for the customer.

They probably make their money as resellers of fuel. Say they charge 106 for diesel now. The way they seem to charge the customer for the fuel is that they probably can buy the fuel for 105 or less and that's how they make it free for the customer to use this.

I think it's a great idea.....and is something that could be rolled out to other providers aswell.

Application here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

Hey... that looks good.
    Anything to save a couple of euro. I average nearly €180 a month on petrol, and thats with keeping an eye on what I pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well, I've just registered for one, no harm in giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kluivert wrote:
    Whats the catch??

1. You can only use it in statoil. In my experience in the Dublin area, statoil is generally more expensive than the cheapest competitor say within a couple of miles

So you think you're saving but in fact you're losing out. Unless you were always getting your fuel in statoil anyway without checking cheaper places. In that case you will save ;)

2. There is 14 day free credit before you pay by direct debit. This compares unfavourably to any credit card where the free credit is between 27ish and 57ish days (depending on day of transaction). Losing out again, unless you used to pay cash. In that case you will save ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Price still more expensive than Tesco in Dundrum. (since i have been checking).

So I guess that if you live in area where there is only really one garage (Statoil) close-by who is expensive then its the way to go.

But cant see if you live in a large town/city that has some hefty competition that it will work out.

Tesco in Dundrum always 1c cheaper than the Statoil in Dundrum for example. (also interesting seeing the tanker stopping in Dundrum Statoil delivering petrol and then moving on up to the Tesco to deliver to them!! same petrol etc.. just more expensive.) I hear Tesco sell it at a loss to get business into the shop.

Darando wrote:
    I hear Tesco sell it at a loss to get business into the shop.

Unfortunately I don't live / work anywhere near a Tesco that sells fuel. Last time I got petrol there I shopped for €200, giving me €0.25 per liter off on top of the €0,05 it was cheaper than the competition at the time. Nice saving of €25 on one fill-up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I also has the Motor card which can only be used in statoil. I only ever use when I am stuck for petrol and I am short on cash. Statoil is not the cheapest place to be petrol buying.

A thing that bugs me is the whole wanting reg and mileage when you buy petrol in statoil. Some places don't care if you don't give them the info but some othe statoils are absolute nazis when it comes to this by insisting on reg and mileage details.

I have noticed that statoil has changed to monthly e-billing instead of weekly bills. Only just got a ebill for Junes petrol this week with 14 days further to the DD payment.

Word of warning if you miss a DD payment.
    What happens if I miss a direct debit?
    If a direct debit is returned unpaid for technical reasons, a member of Statoil’s credit department will contact the cardholder in an attempt to rectify the problem. Technical returns are not subject to any penalties or fees.

However, if a direct debit is returned for credit reasons the card will be immediately stopped. This is a security precaution and designed to combat fraud or any unauthorized use of a stolen card. A Statoil representative will make contact with the card holder, inform them of the situation and request payment for the overdue amount plus a €40 administration fee (levied by Statoil) via a “same day bank transfer” or credit / debit card payment. Once this has been completed, the account, subject to certain terms and conditions, will be nominated for reinstatement.

€40 yikes! :eek:

Don't know if any of ye noticed, but there was nobody from Dublin discussing this, so all the DUblin-centric comparisons are a bit redundant.

The price with the motorcard has consistently been 3/4c cheaper than pretty much anywhere in Limerick. Its 119.9 in almost every station here, so 112.2 (last time I filled) represents a pretty good saving. We don't have Tesco petrol to push down prices so sarcastic comments like
    unkel wrote:
    So you think you're saving but in fact you're losing out. Unless you were always getting your fuel in statoil anyway without checking cheaper places. In that case you will save.
    We're not all idiots, someone going to the trouble of getting this card isn't going to be someone who never compares prices. When I was down in Tralee a few weeks ago I didn't use it because there was other station selling cheaper that the Motorcard price.

Sorry for going off is a rant, but the whole Dublin bias on boards can be very irritating :)

someone going to the trouble of getting this card isn't going to be someone who never compares prices

According to some posts in this thread people seem gullible enough to think this statoil card is a win-win solution without even thinking about it a bit more:
    Its free so you save every fill

As I pointed out, it isn't that easy. Apologies if my sarcastic comments offended you. On the other hand I'd be delighted if a few people here saved some money because of my post

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I use directfuels
    http://www.directfuels.com/
    We get charged 87c a ltr of diesel, but we subscribed last November.

Sparky-s wrote:
    I use directfuels

Is that just for businesses?
    Do you need to have a VAT Number for that?
    Is it just diesel, or do they do unleaded as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Is that just for businesses?
    Do you need to have a VAT Number for that?
    Is it just diesel, or do they do unleaded as well?

I just signed up without enetering vat or comp no.
    there is no info at all on that site about how you acyually get cheaper prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Sparky-s wrote:
    I use directfuels
    Sounds good,the site doesn't give any info on what they charge for fuel, how does it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 aldy05

I have a Statoil one as far as i know you dont save anything, its just a matter of convience. Statoil seem to be the dearest around though at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

dubtom wrote:
    Sounds good,the site doesn't give any info on what they charge for fuel, how does it work.

Ive just emailed them to try to get more information about any savings, however being a saturday id say it will be Wednesday before I get a reply! Will post it here when i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

dubtom wrote:

You just use it as a credit card really, fuel prices afaik are determined when you sign up.
    We use it for the vans, so I have never tried unleaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What does one put in as Group Scheme on the sign up page?

Motorcard told me to put "Motorcard" in the groupscheme box...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

boomer_ie wrote:
    Ive just emailed them to try to get more information about any savings, however being a saturday id say it will be Wednesday before I get a reply! Will post it here when i do.

I got a reply from them today, they said 5cpl to 6cpl cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Excellent. where can you use this card? Is this another statoil only scheme?

Yes

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that the current price of unleaded on this card is 113.2 - is this the cheapest publically avaailable fuel in the country?

Advertisement