Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcard - does it save on fuel costs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

testicle wrote:
    Just to let you know that the current price of unleaded on this card is 113.2

That is a good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

testicle wrote:
    Just to let you know that the current price of unleaded on this card is 113.2 - is this the cheapest publically avaailable fuel in the country?
    Its a hell of a drop from last weeks price of 118.4.
    I originally though it was a typo, but its the same price on the webfeuls site.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How do you know that you're being charged correctly on it? Last two times I went to top up, I put in €15 at the pump and the receipt said €15 had been charged to the card. No mention of discount on the receipt. Will the discount be applied when they go to direct debit me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes. Have you read the FAQ on their website?

http://www.motorcard.ie/faq.htm

I have received my card and used it to buy petrol but the amount on the receipt was the same as the price on the pump. When is the discounted rate applied?

Having used your card at a Statoil station to pay for Petrol or Diesel you will be asked to sign a receipt (similar to a credit card receipt). This receipt details the number of litres received and the prevailing pump price at the station. Although your discounted rate is applied immediately, this receipt will not detail your discounted price.

At the next monthly billing period, you will receive an e-bill by email. This e-bill details the number of litres purchased, the price at the petrol station where you purchased the fuel and your discounted rate.

The amount put forward for direct debit is the number of litres multiplied by the cheaper of the two prices, i.e. The petrol stations pump price or the discounted rate on offer at the time your fuel was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Stark wrote:
    How do you know that you're being charged correctly on it? Last two times I went to top up, I put in €15 at the pump and the receipt said €15 had been charged to the card. No mention of discount on the receipt. Will the discount be applied when they go to direct debit me?

Register at Webfeuls and you can check it online, it appears a few days after the transactions.
    All the details of price at pumps are on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting. On http://www.motorcard.ie/faq.htm, when you click on the link for http://www.motorcard.ie, it will bring you directly to AXA Fuel card :eek:

What's the story - anybody know?

AXA then misleadingly claims:
    AXA wrote:
    Available exclusively to AXA Plus members

Although obviously anybody with a current account can sign up for free with Statoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petrolhead

I spoke with a representative in Motorcard today. Some interesting information. The company behind the motorcard is Benchmark Fleet Services. http://www.benchmark.ie. They are not in any way affiliated to Statoil except that they have chosen to develop the card with them. It seems that Statoil are the only company who can guarantee that their cards are accepted in 99.9% of their stations and the they have the most locations on a nationwide basis.

Some of the others like Shell, Esso and Maxol operate cards for corporates also but their stations do not guarantee to accept them. The guy on the phone told me that the more petrol and diesel bought on the card the easier it is to negotiate a better price. That's why there are a number of fuelcards being promoted by different companies. At the moment there is the Motorcard, the AXA Plus card and a Groupscheme Card. They are all administered by Benchmark.

What Benchmark get out of it is the opportunity (once you give them permission) to offer a quotation for your next car. They see it as more of a marketing tool than anything else and find that positive word of mouth is generating a lot of interest up and down the country (they offered me 6.5% finance on a new car http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Anyway, as you can see from my sig. I've been telling everyone I know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

petrolhead wrote:
    What Benchmark get out of it is the opportunity (once you give them permission) to offer a quotation for your next car.

I would be very surprised if they aren't making money off it themselves. Statoil apply a discount off their RRP price based on usage. This can be fairly sizeable if the amount of fuel purchased is high enough. The more people Benchmark sign up, the cheaper (possibly) the fuel will become. What I'd like to know is whether Benchmark are passing on the full rebate Statoil give them. Anybody know how much per litre is being deducted from Statoils RRP?

Sounds like a similar rival scheme could be a money maker with some marketing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Seems some people earlier in the thread were missing out on a vital point;
    You don't pay the Statoil pump price as displayed.
    You can check the price online or via text, price is updated every week. So you know what you will pay before you buy, and if you see cheaper elsewhere then go ahead & buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Motorcard is currently the cheapest source of petrol for me in my locality - Kilkenny. Current petrol price on motorcard is 101.1. Local garages (including the statoil where I use my card :)) charge 110.9-112.9 for a litre of petrol, so saving about 10 cents per litre is great. I'm currently saving about €6 per fill compared to the pump price.
    There is one fuel distributor place that comes close at 103.9, but he only opens during office hours and I work out of town so I rarely get to him.

Motorcard ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had a Motorcard for about 6 weeks now and haven't had any problems with it - it's extremely handy for me in Blanch too as there's a Statoil 2 mins away, and a 2nd in Castleknock whereas the nearest Tesco is in Finglas.

The garages ask me if I want the mileage or reg but I just say its grand and I haven't been refused yet.

For unleaded its definitely the way forward. My Passat is diesel though but it's still a lot cheaper than almost all of the garages around, plus the flexibility of not having to go to a Tesco (I work in Meath) is another plus.
    Stephen wrote:
    Motorcard ftw.
    Seconded! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Where's the other Statoil in Blanch? I normally go to the one in Castleknock.

Edit: Oh I remember now, there's one in Coolmine Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stark wrote:
    Where's the other Statoil in Blanch? I normally go to the one in Castleknock.

Edit: Oh I remember now, there's one in Coolmine Industrial Estate.
    Yep.. just beside the Renault Garage/Dealership. Ironically it's the dearest garage in the area too - if you're paying cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Any more info on the 'Direct Fules' fule card?

Advertisement