Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on going from 03 to 05 Passat TDI

Options
  • 06-07-2006 2:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what i should expect to pay.
    I currently have a 110 bhp 03 TDI with 57,000 on the clock,shes immaculate.

Im going to look at this car tonight,thinking of changing and want a 130 bhp model.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=411463

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sell privately if you can. That's the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Get your car chipped upto 130bhp and save yourself a wad of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bspoke wrote:
    Get your car chipped upto 130bhp and save yourself a wad of cash

Indeed, or if you really want a newer one, spend a few grand more and get a new model (with DSG :cool:). Looks like the new model is selling well so that will make the old model depreciate more. Makes it look a bit old and perhaps undesirable compared to the new model (when you buy a car always think about what will happen when you come to sell it)

Unless you can pick up an '05 old model for bargain money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

I found very little difference in power from the 100bhp to the 130bhp in the ones I test drove. There's a good 15mpg difference in them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

as in 15mpg better in the 100bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 130bhp should push you back into your seat on full throttle, a 100bhp won't really do this. unless the 130bhp you drove wasn't running right

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Efioanaes wrote:
    Just wondering what i should expect to pay.
    I currently have a 110 bhp 03 TDI with 57,000 on the clock,shes immaculate.

Im going to look at this car tonight,thinking of changing and want a 130 bhp model.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=411463

That is a UK reg car and very expensive imo, as others suggested sell your car privately and make a trip over to the UK and pick up a higher spec model with leather, etc for less or the same money.

You should have no problem selling your 2003 TDi Passat privately with that very low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Padwick wrote:
    I found very little difference in power from the 100bhp to the 130bhp in the ones I test drove. There's a good 15mpg difference in them though.

You having a laugh ? There is a very notible difference. The acceleration in the 130Bhp is far superior accelerating. The 104 ( 110 ) Bhp can feel a little flat, not a whole lot of torque. The 130 is torque/power galore and that is a good thing. In saying that, the 104 Bhp is fairly adequate, it just wont make the hairs stand up on you're back, and the 104 certainly doesnt struggle to drive, Just the 130 offers far better acceleration and higher torque band.

Hj

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cheers guys,well i took it for a spin and was disappointed tbh,acceleration was no different than my own which is quick itself and does throw you back in your seat.
    Im thinking mine could be 130bhp as ive drove 4-5 of the 130s now and felt exactly like my own.

The guy wanted 9,500 with my own car,whether this is correct pricing or not its just not worth it as both cars drove the very same and handled the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jesus lads anyone thinking a 130bhp diesel throws you back in your seat needs to drive a fast car :D i have a 200bhp petrol and to me its not proper fast

if i was you id sell your car privately and wait for another passat to come along or buy an audi a4 maybe instead? theres loads about esp diesel and youll only get screwed trading in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

A4 are nice but Passat is same car underneath tbh ,Audi are far too expensive imo.

Also Cyrus have you actually drove a 130bhp TDI?
    I had two guys who drive 250+ bhp machines and were totally shocked at the 130 VW TDI acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

It's all about torque lads. Don't let bhp figures cloud your judgement. A 130bhp tdi engine could feel almost as quick as a 200 bhp petrol car. Only because the torue figures are similar. In terms of outright acceleration, the bigger bhp car would always win, but in the real world, torque is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well my 200 bhp car is a turbo so ive plenty of torque too and yes i have driven a car with that engine, a golf actually which shoould be quicker as its lighter,

dont get me wrong its not a slow car but its not quick either, in gear its good 50-70 etc but again not earth shattering

im not being smart or anything but its just not a quick car, only diesel ive driven that feels quick is a bmw 330d

Advertisement