Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody that can test a Amd2 cpu and mobo.

Options
  • 06-07-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished a new build, with a 2ghz Am2 chip and gigabyte Am2 mobo. Blue screens on Windows startup. Have used a Hyper 580watt, Ocz520watt and antec neo power to test psus, memtest for the ram, and used the sata drive in another machine. Its either the board or chip, neither of which I can test seperatly.

So I ask the famous line "Cant somebody else do it"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

You say blue screens on windows startup, so it booted and let you install windows and then gave the blue screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Was getting random blue screens in windows install, so installed windows in another pc and brought the drive over. It was working, but bringing the drive over leads to blue screens imediatly on startup. Which means mobo/cpu. Dont want to send both back to komplett. So need to find out which is the faulty part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Its possible (although unlikely) that the windows install CD is dodgy.
    Might be wise to get a 'live' linux cd that can be run without installing to the hd...this will allow you to test the hardware independently.

One other thought....try a different hard drive....possible the one you are using is getting errors?

Just my 2c :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Maybe its the Bios? try an older cpu in it update bios install your Amd2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

krazy_8s wrote:
    Was getting random blue screens in windows install, so installed windows in another pc and brought the drive over. It was working, but bringing the drive over leads to blue screens imediatly on startup. Which means mobo/cpu. Dont want to send both back to komplett. So need to find out which is the faulty part.
    Safe mode ? whats the bsod error code?

• Advertisement

Windows install cd is fine, Since the windows will boot fine on another pc. I cant use an older cpu to test it since I dont have another Am2 cpu(plenty of 939's).

Harddrive was error checked on another pc.

Can you recommend a Linux boot cd that would allow me to test both the cpu and mainboard, and be able to differentiate between the 2.

Error was something like Irq error less than something blah blah blah. All new componants so Im a bit miffed. Had to loan out rig 2 in the meantime. Safe mode begins to load and then puts out the same error.

The pc was working fine yesterday, when it was build and had a full windows install on it. After about 20 minutes it blue screened and then refused to boot.

I have done a strip build with the componants outside of the case so no chance of a short.

I know its a long shot, but I dont want to have to send back both parts and have komplett charge me 20 quid for the testing of the 1 that is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Colud you try diff ram or at least try one stick at a time in the sockets ?

CC

Tried ram in different combinations, in different slots. No such luck. Tried manully underclocking it with timings and different voltages.

Might as well point out all rails are stable on all psus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

what temp is the CPU running at? An other problem might be the SATA drivers you used for installing windows. Also try and do a BIOS update. Gigabits can have faily bad early BIOS on them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

knoppix is a Linux flavour that boots directly from the CD without any need for an install, you might try that. i'd also go with a BIOS update to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

there is a dfi boot cd u can download with mprime on it... dos based stress-tester and a few other tools, sounds like something could be damaged on the mobo, u change voltage on anything?

No voltage is fine. Ill try the boot cds later when I have time. Thanks.

Advertisement