Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE to broadcast Cork in Europe

• 06-07-2006 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

http://www.elevenaside.com/intoeurope/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=23360

Cork City’s Uefa Champions League opener against Cypriot champions Apollon Limassol will be broadcast live on RTE 2 next Wednesday evening (July 12th).

With the distractions of the World Cup a memory by then, a large crowd is expected to descend upon the Cross for Cork’s first Champions League game in 13 years.

Shelbourne’s reached the third qualifying round two years ago but fell at the second qualifying round stage last year, and City will be aiming to at least match their Dublin rivals – and that means a victory is expected against Apollon over the next three weeks.

The first qualifying round first leg tie will kick-off at Turners Cross at 7.30pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good news that RTE are coming in right at the very start, and not waiting until there is more glamorous opposition.

I am not in the slightest bit confident of this game. Hopefully can take a lead to Cyprus, and defend it out there, rather than having a mountain to climb.

John O Flynn is definitely out of the 1st leg, and most likely the 2nd also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

gimmick wrote:
    Good news that RTE are coming in right at the very start, and not waiting until there is more glamorous opposition.

I am not in the slightest bit confident of this game. Hopefully can take a lead to Cyprus, and defend it out there, rather than having a mountain to climb.

John O Flynn is definitely out of the 1st leg, and most likely the 2nd also.

massive loss is JOF, what's the latest on Georgie? will he play a part

I'd expect to see him eating humble pie in the not too distant future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

massive loss is JOF, what's the latest on Georgie? will he play a part

I'd expect to see him eating humble pie in the not too distant future
    RTE radio saying GO'C is in the squad for the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And so they should show the game. You could almost mistake them for our national broadcaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cork to win 3-0 i may even watch it :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

personally its about time RTE gave more attention to our local clubs
    maybe this is the start to something big
    i know this is being very optimistic but our clubs need all the support we can give

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

My prediction is Cork City 0 Apol 2 for the first leg and 4-0 overall. This is the worst draw Cork could have got. This side is a real progressive side and Cypriot sides have brushed aside eircom league opposition with relative ease in recent years. I really cannot see City get through this one.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

What date is the second leg. We are playing Cork on Friday the 21th of July which will be live on Setanta so it might be moved to Saturday

The 2nd leg is the 19th. AFAIK the Sligo game is being postponed indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

"My prediction is Cork City 0 Apol 2 for the first leg and 4-0 overall. This is the worst draw Cork could have got. This side is a real progressive side and Cypriot sides have brushed aside eircom league opposition with relative ease in recent years. I really cannot see City get through this one."
    Bull
    Some of apollons european history

Year 1998-1999
    FK Ekranas (LIT) - Apollon = 1 - 2
    Goals: Cirstea, Pittas
    Apollon - FK Ekranas (LIT) = 3 - 3
    Goals: Spoljaric(2), Kavazis

Year 1986-1987
    Malmoe (SWE) - Apollon = 6 - 0
    Apollon - Malmoe (SWE) = 2 - 1
    Goal: Christodoulou

Year 1996-1997
    Djurgardens (SWE) - Apollon = 8 - 0

It will be tough but i dont think either side will be getting brushed aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Comparing those results you have to laugh, but football is a funny game! :) Hope the Carkies can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I think we're in with a shout, but they'll be no pushover that's for sure. A lot depends on Georgie and whether or not himself and Rico can sort things out ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I have no idea how it will go.

We will be solid and tough to beat at the Cross, but this is the Champions league. We can forget Djurgardens or Nijmegan, this is the real deal.

The George O'Callaghan issue is typical of how "off the field" events have dominated City over the past 2 seasons.

John O'Flynn doubtful, George O'Callaghan in limbo , tax bills and Watches.

I am getting a feeling that something special is going to happen this team.

limbo?

Cork 13-8 and other team 7-2

No odds on correct score or a spread for Cork to win by 2.

kdjac

John O Flynn is defo out. George has not returned to training yet, so I would imagine that is him ruled out also.

http://eecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

George is apparently out of the match tomorrow after not showing for training the last 2 days.

Another disaster for Cork City as far as Im concerned. This is like a mini-Saipan at this stage. Cork City has lost Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Liam Kearney, Alan Reynolds in the last 2/3 year down to poor management. Please god the best player of all those will NOT go down the same route.:o

Rico wont call George and vise-versa.

I still think we can do it tomorrow night and take a lead to Cyprus.

"Low lie the fields of Bishopstown" etc!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Lennox says he's disappointed that the tickets aren't selling as well as he'd hoped, but at €22 each I'm not surprised.

More on George here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/5172014.stm

And a bit about "Apollon 13":
    The Cypriots go into the game brimming with confidence as they currently lead their domestic league with an unbeaten record.

Their German manager Bernd Strange guided Iraq to the 2004 Olympics but stepped down before the Athens Games because of fears over the security situation in the country.

Apollon Limassol was at something of a low ebb when he took the job but he has helped to turn around the club's fortunes in a big way.

The Limassol squad includes striker Lukasz Sosin who has scored 28 goals this season.

Unless I am completely mistaken, Limassoll only started pre season about 2 weeks ago, and their league hasn't kicked off yet?

Re ticket sales, that was just Lennox trying to get a few people off their arses. They have been flying out of the Horseshoe Bar anyways. I would imagine it will be close on a full house. As for €22, whats wrong with it? Its the European Cup, expenses will be huge for the away leg. A ticket to see Leyton orient in League 2 last season was £16stg (€24ish). €22 is good value. €20 if you got tickets before today.

Anyway, for the matter at hand - I hate saying this, but the whole saga down here has taken any enjoyment I would have had tonight away from me. If City lose, they will be war I reckon, as people will take the loss out on the fact that George isnt playing. Dare I say, even if City win 3-0, people will be saying "If George were playing we would have won 5-0". One thing is for certain, no pints for me before or after the game, as I will only end up saying or doing something stupid :o:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on City!

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Come on City!
    I echo these sentiments! Best of luck!

I'm off to sit myself in front of the telly now, the biggest match on the tv of the summer! ;) Well, it won't be hard to be one of the most entertaining anyways!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Without O'Callaghan I fear for Cork to be perfectly honest, they also lack on the wings. Hope I'm wrong though but this could be a total disaster for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Very tough for Cork. They need at least to win by 2 goals to stand any chance in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

seansouth wrote:
    Come on City!
    well said,3-1 hopefully

Half time, and neither team has impressed.

Bad first touch by both teams. If City can capitalise on posession gained from ball from the AL defence, and string a few decent passes together, they could trouble AL.

Thought it was funny when Ger Canning moaned about the Iraqi players wearing their "Christian" names on the back of their jersies, and the fact that the AL Goalkeeping coach speaks "Iraqi":confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

1-0 to cork,not a bad goal

Get in Billy Woods!

One nil City!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great finish by Billy Woods. COrk have been the better side in the second half and hopefully they can push on and nick a second. Behan has looked dangerous.

Lucky there, off the underside of the bar.

88min

• Advertisement

Poor game in fairness, I thought the nerves showed - but thats to be expected I guess. hope City can handle the heat next week and get some form of a result, a time against Red Star Belgrade would be nice for them.

Apollon are ranked as the 3rd best team currently in the competition, so in all not a bad result. Another coeficcient point means 0.333 added to the national coefficient, which benefits us all.

Oh yes gotta think of the coefficient. For that momentous day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Dunno how it looked on telly but I thought City played well tonight, particularly in the second half.

We created chances in the second half but just couldnt take them, and i fear one nil may not be enough in nicosia next week.

however its another big european win for city, and after the turbulent week we've had with the george o'callaghan affair (Georgegate? Ricogate? :) )it was nice to put it all behind us with the win tonight.

Cant wait for cyprus next week.. dunno where me passport is though :D

Well well well, what a night. How City didn't win that by 3 or 4 nil I'll never know. Well thats a cliché, if we had a poacher on the field we would have had. From my view, City totally dominated the second half, and deserved more than a 1 goal victory. Great finsih from Woods. Next week will be interesting, as I really thought Appolon were very very poor defensively.

Interesting to note the support for Rico tonight. Huge chants throughout tonight for him. Of course a minority will blacken all that by doing something stupid, but they can fúck themselves for now.

Bah had 20 quid on 2-0

:(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Cork were fairly decent tonight and the result isn't too bad , however there are some worrying negatives .

Cork dropped very deep after they scored the goal and kept getting deeper , if they try and defend the lead away they could well be punished . What also worries me is the Cork players seemed to tire much worse than Limassol and with the conditions out in Cyprus they will tire much quicker than they did today .

I think Cork may have to score in the second leg as I fancy Limassol to get at least 1 late on .

So far so good though .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I was impressed by Cork today, had been away for a while and this was the first game I'd seen them play this year.

I think if they keep the ball low and play through the Cypriots they can get a goal away(especially down the right, Murphy looked great).

Well Done Cork!!!

Great quote in the Independent's match preview:
    "The Apollon squad is a mini version of Eurovision. They have players from Cyrpus, Iraq, Czech Republic, Portugal, Poland, Slovenia, Hungary and Romania. Corks squad has players from Waterford and Limerick(as well as cork and UK)"

In a bout of remarkable common sense the FAI have allowed Cityy to postpone their game with Bray for this saturday indefinitely, to accomadate preparations for the 2nd leg next wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Well done to City, very professional performance and lets hope they can finish the job in Cyprus

LOL

Comfort food for the losers! Yes, that is the Limassol team getting their post match meal at one of the glorious chippers inside the Cross.

Any word on RTE showing the return leg?

Cypriot TV showed the game live from RTE's pictures last night so surely they'll return the favour next week?

• Advertisement

6:55PM next Wednesday, live on RTE2.

Excellent.

Last night's win (coupled with some Belarussian team's defeat) means that this years eircom League winners are almost guaranteed to be seeded in next year's CL first qualifying round draw. (Possibly the first time an Irish side will be seeded in a European draw?)

City only narrowly missed out on being seeded this year.

Shelbourne were seeded last year in QR1, we have an extra club coefficient point (which gets added to the national) from our 2-2 draw with Lille in 2004.

We drew, and whooped, Glentoran. :)

plazzTT wrote:
    Excellent.

Last night's win (coupled with some Belarussian team's defeat) means that this years eircom League winners are almost guaranteed to be seeded in next year's CL first qualifying round draw. (Possibly the first time an Irish side will be seeded in a European draw?)

City only narrowly missed out on being seeded this year.

Had City gotten one extra draw last season, they would have been seeded this time round.

If City progress this time, I think they will get a club co-efficient, like Shels, but if say Drogs win the league, they will be unseeded in next years draw, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote:
    Had City gotten one extra draw last season, they would have been seeded this time round.

If City progress this time, I think they will get a club co-efficient, like Shels, but if say Drogs win the league, they will be unseeded in next years draw, to the best of my knowledge.

You only get a club co-efficient by getting a draw or a win in the 'proper' part of the CL or UEFA Cup. Shels have a club co-efficient (higher than all other EL clubs) because we drew with Lille in the first round proper of the UEFA Cup in 2004/05.

Shels will be seeded in CL or UEFA Cup next season if we qualify for either competition. For the rest of the EL clubs, it's touch and go.

Zebra3 wrote:

Shels will be seeded in CL or UEFA Cupnext season if we qualify for either competition. For the rest of the EL clubs, it's touch and go.

Now all you need is somewhere to play your games :p

Odd RTE showing the away leg, it must be free or maybe thats where our licence fee hike is coming from and not the new price for the premiership.

kdjac

Zebra3 wrote:
    You only get a club co-efficient by getting a draw or a win in the 'proper' part of the CL or UEFA Cup.

Im fairly certain that is incorrect. Any games played in UEFA Cup or CL gain co-effiecient point, none whatsoever for the inter toto. Shels would not have got a seeding in last years CL for one draw Vs Lille, and one draw Vs Depor. I am certainly open for correction on that one though.

However, the point is moot for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You're both correct in a way. Club coefficients are made up of the coefficient of a team plus 33% of their country ranking. It means that every club in Ireland has a club coefficient of 1.485 but Shels have 2.485 because of the extra point they got from their draw in the UEFA cup. Qualification results only counts towards the country coef. and not the club.

I was looking through scandinavian listings to see if anyone maybe showing the uefa cup matches for next week but looks bad so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote:
    Im fairly certain that is incorrect. Any games played in UEFA Cup or CL gain co-effiecient point, none whatsoever for the inter toto. Shels would not have got a seeding in last years CL for one draw Vs Lille, and one draw Vs Depor. I am certainly open for correction on that one though.

However, the point is moot for now.

All clubs work off the league's co-efficient which was 1.43 at the start of this season's UEFA campaigns. Shels had a co-efficient of 2.485 (at the start of this UEFA season) because they have the league's co-efficient and the bonus of getting a draw in the first round proper of the UEFA Cup against Lille in 2004/05 season. The draw with Depor was in the qualifying rounds of the CL so it was nothing special from a co-efficient point of view.

Up until recently Bohs had a higher co-efficient than all other LoI sides because they beat Kaiserlautern in the first round proper of the UEFA Cup back in 2000/01.

Shels were seeded in last year's CL first qualifying round draw, hence the easy draw against Glentoran.

Cork blew it big time last year by losing home and away against Slavia. Chances like that don't come around too often.
    I was looking through scandinavian listings to see if anyone maybe showing the uefa cup matches for next week but looks bad so far.

They won't be showing the games live unless an Irish channel is. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement