Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Problem

• 06-07-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a dog problem and its my own dog.I got my back garden done over a month ago,deck,paved and huge flowerbed,prob is my dog a Beagle is poohing and peeing all over my flowers,(well her Flowers).

Now the pooh is not a prob as he has stopped and doing on concrete(yipee) but the wee is killin the flowers.
    I have tried reasoning with the dog but to no avail,and also have 3 children who play in back so i cant use any chemicals etc etc.
    Any special type of deterregent or other i could use.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello Snowbie,
    One solution to your problem could be a motion activated sprinkler.
    The dog recieves a spray of water upon entering the bed.
    If he sticks being sprayed by the sprinkler, the water will continue thus diluting the urine and possibly saving your plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hello Snowbie,
    One solution to your problem could be a motion activated sprinkler.
    The dog recieves a spray of water upon entering the bed.
    If he sticks being sprayed by the sprinkler, the water will continue thus diluting the urine and possibly saving your plants

Yeah i read up on that before alright,unfortunately i dont have an outside tap for a hose to be attached to it.

Is there any detterents,like spray,crystals i can put into beds as they are raised flowerbeds,kids cant access them.I just didnt want to put it on the patio were kids play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Pepper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

prospect wrote:
    Pepper

Or if you really want to "learn" him - hot chilli powder.
    Not "Sharwoods" hot - the real stuff from an Asian supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I'd say mustard but I used it on trees that I set last year to keep the dog from biting at them but she just licked the mustard off the bark. Yep, i smothered all 4 trees in mustard and she happily plodded over to each one & licked it off.

Dont think theres a whole lot on the market to stop this.

Could you maybe seal off the area from the dog, with that green mesh stuff. Beagles are not that tall so you could have it fairly low. I know its not ideal but if she wants to pee, she'll pee.

• Advertisement

Pepper,might be good alright.
    Dont give him water is another:D

Is it possible to put some big rocks around it and make it harder for her to get in?

Lexie wrote:
    Is it possible to put some big rocks around it and make it harder for her to get in?

Flowerbeds are 2.5 feet high.Not high enough says you but some bloke just at to tellin me about a product called dog off,have you heard about this.

Yea I heard of them. They are a little hand held device that when you press the button it gives off a high pitched sound. I had one before called a "Dog Dazer" and it wasnt any good.

Plus with this device you have to be watching the dog 24/7!!! When you are not around the dog is gonna pee in the flower bed.

I know its not the easiest solution but could you train her not to pee there. Kinda like house training her?

Had tried alright,but you know dogs they have to keep scenting there area and hate to be hard on him as he is generally good.But ill keep tryin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

The commercially available gel and crystal dog deterrents such as "scoot" "Get off" are effective, but only under dry conditions.
    Rain dampens them causing the smell to be less pungent, the same goes for chilli, cloves, mustard etc.
    The placing of plastic bottles filled with water throughout the beds can be effective also.
    The secret is to replenish the water daily, so the dog believes another dog has marked that area already.
    Also the plastic bottles must have a few holes pierced in them to allow the fresh water vapour to escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

The problem with anything that relies on scent to stop a dog is a- rain stops smell, and b- dogs instinct is to cover said bad scent with its own scent (urine) to mark it as its place, all they think is that another animal has marked it, they dont understand crystals or powders.

The only real way is training and / or somthing like a sprinkler that produces a unpleasant distraction (water).
    Maybe a super-soaker childs water pistol and everytime you catch her spray her. If its a male, often neutering helps a lot.

The other option I have found worked was to buy one of those PIR battery powered alarms in somwhere like B&Q or argos, make it waterproof (silicone sealer or cover it) and everytime he/she comes near it will sound and hopefully distract her, but you may have to find one with different "bell" sounds as she may get used to one eventually. Advantage of these is that they are relatively cheap and battery powered.
    (These can be found in the security / alarms sections of B&Q, argos, and atlantic homecare).

hope it helps. but training is really the best option, even if it takes the most effort and time. In the mean time, water your flowers as much as possible (without overwatering) to wash as much of the urine off as possible.

b

Thats brilliant lads thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Do you know anyone who'd lend you an electric fence for a while? Turn it on when the kids have gone to bed, let the dog out, water (pee) conducts electricity, need I say more???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 roofer

alright snowbie
    i know i`m a little late but try this one.fill a bottle with water and lay it in the flower bed. i have a long history training dogs and find the best way is to catch him in the act.go as far as to sit with your back to him and hold a mirror at your shoulder so you can see him,he thinks your not lookingand goes about his business and gets a surprise when you give out to him. when you catch him in the act stop him and take him somewhere that you want him to do his business and praise him.effectively, you are house training him. i know it sounds time consuming but trust me, it works. my father trained dogs for years for the forces,when he told me about the mirror i laughed at him, but it works. try the water bottles first,it was a popular method in ausrtalia, cant garauntee it will work though,but worth a try

roofer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Do you know anyone who'd lend you an electric fence for a while? Turn it on when the kids have gone to bed, let the dog out, water (pee) conducts electricity, need I say more???:eek:

Wow what an intelligent response :mad: - grow up and stop being so childish -

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    Wow what an intelligent response :mad: - grow up and stop being so childish -
    Childish or sarcastic i'm not really sure, but i'll keep a note of Dilbert75's post for future reference.

Advertisement