Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Question Has me stumped

• 06-07-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

In London Spurs and Arsenal could do it, as could Chelsea and West Ham. Both
    Manchester City and United could also do it. Everton and Rangers could do
    it, but not Liverpool or Celtic. The only British clubs that could do it
    this season are Man United (who would probably prefer not to) and Arsenal
    (who have gone closest so far and are desperate to do it). It would take
    Everton and City the longest to do it.

There is only one other British club that could do it. Who are they and what
    is it?

Any Ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I reckon it's something to do with winning the full set of European honours (CWC, CL and UEFA Cup). Liverpool and Celtic never won the CWC (and as it doesn't exist anymore) they never can do either.

As such I'd guess the answer to your question can be found by obtaining a full list of British teams that have won the CWC and see which one wasn't mentioned in the riddle.

Edit : Aberdeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The answer to that has something to do with hosting rugby league matches at their grounds AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Pigman II wrote:
    I reckon it's something to do with winning the full set of European honours (CWC, CL and UEFA Cup). Liverpool and Celtic never won the CWC (and as it doesn't exist anymore) they never can do either.

As such I'd guess the answer to your question can be found by obtaining a full list of British teams that have won the CWC and see which one wasn't mentioned in the riddle.

Edit : Aberdeen
    sounds spot on - I take it united would need to win Uefa so they'd rather stay in the CL. True liverpool never won the CWC - I'll presume celtic too. I checked and WH have won the CWC, didn't check anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pigman's answer is what came to my mind too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

emc2 wrote:
    It would take
    Everton and City the longest to do it.

I thought Pigman had it right, but that bits got me thinking.

Rangers, Wham, Citeh, and Everton have all won the CWC, but not the CL or UEFA Cup.

+Chelsea [edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Something to do with being more successful than your rival? Hence City and Everton taking the longest...

edit:
    Winning more distinct trophies than your rival team. Utd dont want to do it because they want CL football, and Arsenal could have won the CL for the first time last year. Celtic and the Pool have a complete set, so cant win anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I was thinking along the lines of the european trophies won, so it seem to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I thought Pigman had it right, but that bits got me thinking.

Rangers, Wham, Citeh, and Everton have all won the CWC, but not the CL or UEFA Cup.

+Chelsea [edit]

Its as Pigman suggested.

Wham, Rangers and Chelsea are all in European competition this coming season, so could achieve the feat quicker than Everton or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The only British clubs that could do it
    this season are Man United (who would probably prefer not to)

Why would United be the only club to do it this season if it was about the Europe thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They'd prefer the CL than to win the UEFA to complete the set. Arsenal almost had them all last season getting to the final (I assume they already have a UEFA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

astrofool wrote:
    They'd prefer the CL than to win the UEFA to complete the set. Arsenal almost had them all last season getting to the final (I assume they already have a UEFA)

They have the fairs cup which I think was the same thing as the UEFA cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Number of wins for Champions League, UEFA Cup (previously known as Fairs Cup), Cup Winners Cup

CL  UC CWC

Arsenal                   -   1   1
    Tottenham Hotspur         -   2   1

Chelsea                   -   -   2
    West Ham United           -   -   1

Manchester City           -   -   1
    Manchester United         2   -   1

Everton                   -   -   1
    Rangers                   -   -   1

Liverpool                 5   3   -
    Celtic                    1   -   -

Aberdeen                  -   -   1

In London Spurs and Arsenal could do it
    Arsenal need to win CL.
    Spurs need to win CL.
    as could Chelsea and West Ham
    Chelsea need to win CL + UC,
    West Ham need to win CL + UC.
    Manchester City and United could also do it.
    Manchester City need to win CL + UC.
    United need to win UC.
    Everton and Rangers could do it,
    Everton need to win CL + UC
    Rangers need to win CL + UC
    but not Liverpool or Celtic.
    Liverpool and Celtic have never won CWC so are therefore out of the running.
    he only British clubs that could do it
    this season are Man United (who would probably prefer not to)
    Man United could win UC this season to complete set (tho it would mean they had been eliminated from CL.
    and Arsenal (who have gone closest so far and are desperate to do it).
    Arsenal need CL (and nearly won CL last season)
    it would take Everton and City the longest to do it.
    Everton and Man City not in Europe this season so it will take them (at least) 3 years to complete set.
    There is only one other British club that could do it. Who are they and what is it?
    Aberdeen. Win all 3 major UEFA tropies.

Tighter than a dolphins bumhole I reckon. A thank yaw!

Advertisement