Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target air rifles - what would you advise?

Options
  • 06-07-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,

I shoot .22 3p and .22 prone and 10m olympic air rifle. I have been borrowing friends' rifles while I save up for the equipment (more specifically the rifles). I am looking for an air rifle/.22 combination that will aid me in my training. So put very simply i am looking for the two rifles that will best compliment each other and be easy to switch between.

I have purchased an Anschutz 2013 action with an alu stock. With this in mind I have been looking at air rifles for the past few weeks and have drawn up a shortlist of rifles that i feel will best compliment this .22 rifle.

1.Feinwerkbau P700
    2.Anschutz 9002
    3.Walther LG 300 alutec
    4.Anschutz 2002
    5.Steyer lg110

Assuming that I have no budget constraints which of the air rifles do you feel will best compliment my Anschutz 2013 action with alu stock?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I shoot with a 2013 alu and a 2002 alu myself, but I don't think that complimentary equipment is something you should worry about. Frankly, it's not likely you'll be swapping stuff back and forth a lot between them, and the rules prohibit the stocks being too similar. You might get a nice-looking pair of rifles; but frankly, you'll wind up being more concerned with the score than the appearance :D

On the list you have, my personal impressions:

Feinwerkbau P700
    Very nice rifle. Currently about the most popular on the international circuit, but that waxes and wanes with time. However, it will outshoot you (and me) for several years to come.

Anschutz 9002
    Don't like it. Lots were given to top shooters and then returned, if the scuttlebutt is true. The loading mechanism is a bit prissy, far less robust than either the P70 or the 2002. Very accurate however, and if it fits you, you'll like it.

Walther LG 300 alutec
    Nice action, nice grip, lovely little dry-fire/live-fire switch that's convienent for dry-firing in the middle of a match, but I just don't like it for some reason. I don't know why, and it's purely personal, but it just... looks wrong. Which isn't any reason not to use one, by the way.

Anschutz 2002
    Have one. Love it. But - it has a noticible recoil which some people hate. And the grip is too small, so I had to apply some plastic wood to help there. It will take the standard anschutz rearsights so in an emergency, you could swap sights, but that's not really a good enough criteria for buying a rifle.

Steyer lg110
    Absolutely magnificent piece of engineering. Don't get the take-down stock version, you'll never trust it. Absolutely dead when firing. Several of the WTSC shooters are deeply impressed by this rifle.
    Looks cool too.

However; the thing is that all of these rifles (and the Feinwerkbau P70 and the Steyr LG100 and the Hammerli AR50 and AR30) will do the job magnificently. You are the real variable here. You need to pick up one of each, fire a few shots, and see which one you like best, which one fits you best. Ask some shooters to try a shot or two at the next competition (yes, it's legal). Or ask the dealer you're buying from - if he/she won't let you try before you buy, you want to walk away.

Good luck and good shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alinghi

hi

Thanks for the advice. I particularly like the FWB p700 and the Steyr from the ones that i have shot.
    I live in South Africa and have problems finding hardware generally. What shops online or in Europe would you advise? There is a possibilty of me coming to Europe on holiday so i am curious.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hmmm. I don't know if I'd actually go through shops to be honest - I bought my rifles direct from Anschutz. If you were going to Europe on holiday, I'd say see if you can't take a few days in Germany and visit the factory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Sparks wrote:
    Hmmm. I don't know if I'd actually go through shops to be honest - I bought my rifles direct from Anschutz. If you were going to Europe on holiday, I'd say see if you can't take a few days in Germany and visit the factory :D
    Any more comments about going direct to manufacturers and skipping out the poor retailer and I'll be backing the new motion to limit your posts!!!! ;)

Not that the margin on a rifle is worth the paperwork anyway!!!!

Advertisement