Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car problem anyway able to share some light?

Options
  • 06-07-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

This seemed to happen before aswell, got my car washed, its a bmw 316i, anyway about 3 weeks ago after i got the car washed the car cut out, and wouldnt stay idle... brought it down to the mech and it started next morning, they said a sensor got wet. Anyway got the car washed today and within 5 min the car cut out and will next start whatsoever. Wont even start to get idle just wont start. Tried to start it ever so offen and after about 3 starts it start to die and like the battery is dieing. Rang my mech as i was stuck at the side of the road and he said all i can do is wait untill the sensor drys out. But before the car would start just wouldnt stay started now it wont start at all...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Could be the sesnor on the way out and this has highlighted the problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

What year is the car, did you have the engine power cleaned ? Do you know which sensor he was talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

It is 1994... I didnt have it power clean but the car wash powers water up to the engine.... No the other mech was the one fixing it and he wasnt around but he said a sensor got wet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well generally its advised not to get the engine wet!! Thre alot of electrics etc there than can get messed up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

This used to happen my 520 all the time. I was told it was all sorts of sensors and things. it turns out the problem was simple, when getting the car washed I would pk on the forecourt buy my token and drive for the short distance to the washer.

After the wash the car invariably would not start or if it did, ran like a bag of nails for a few minutes. A good friend of mine excellent mech, solved the problem. the way the fuel electronics work and the short burst of running caused the engine to be overfuelled when it was turned off (simple terms flooded).
    using the engine flooded start routine got her fired up every time.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Got one of my buddies to look at the car. He reckons its the head gasket gone... How much will that cost... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Got one of my buddies to look at the car. He reckons its the head gasket gone... How much will that cost... ?

how did he come to that conclusion from the symptoms you described.

car should still start if the head g is gone.

Well i just brought it down to the My Mech and he reckons its a Cracked Head Gasket. Going to cost about 1k to fix.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Id get a 2nd review due to both the idea of the head being gone and also the price!

Well thats 3 People that have told me the Head gasket is gone.. He is hopefully going to have a look at it today, He said it would cost about 700 to replace the head gasket or if its cracked then i wouldnt get much change out of 1k.... Its all i need really, I was selling the Car in 3 weeks..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't see how the car has no problems except for just after a car wash being down to the HG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

exactly as above!!! getting your car washed and your head gasket going shouldnt be connected. quick check to see if it is gone. check your oil dipstick for what can be best described as mayonaisse. same with your oil filler cap and coolant reservoir.

how much labour are they charging to change the head gasket? you should find that out. it may be as cheap just to drop another engine in (if you can pick up one cheaply from a scrapyard)

There was no mayo type at the oil cap or coolant... a fews Days it did overheat a few times about 2 months ago but that was fine, there was a small hole in the Rad.Also when i got the car towed there was a massive amount of water under the engine. and then also again when i towed it down to the garage, and the rad had water in it.. It didnt leak out of the rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

unless the 2 are completely unconnected and it was just your bad luck that it happened to go.

the engine overheating is the main cause for head gasket failure as the gasket cannot deal with the extreme temps. you've probably warped the cylinder head as well so a new engine might be a cheaper way to go esp as there are so many of the 316s around now. just make sure its a decent engine. dont want the same thing happening a couple hundred miles down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Did you drive the car after it overheated? If you didn't, you should be ok.

A lot of BMW drivers seem to recommend Ardfallon Motors around Cork.

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/search.asp?KW=mechanic+cork&SM=1&SI=PT&FM=5&OB=1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Any white smoke coming from the exhaust?

That, and overheating was my clue to the head gasket going on my old Audi.

Well see if i get the work done i can get all the vat back from my dads company.. I will see what he says anyway later and let ye know.. Thanks for the advice etcd,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Have seen this on few e36 already, car ecu is located on passenger side under scuttle (ie. panel between window and bonnet where wiper arm hinges) water drains block allowing ecu to be flooded. This is well known problem and good ecu's are difficult to find second hand as result

No White Smoke.....
    Any white smoke coming from the exhaust?

That, and overheating was my clue to the head gasket going on my old Audi.

Advertisement